Karan Johar is an Indian film director, producer, writer, and TV host. He is widely referred to as ‘KJo.’ Karan Johar established himself as one of the prominent personalities amongst the Directors and Producers of Bollywood.
Karan Johar was born as ‘Rahul Kumar Johar’ on 25 May 1972 (age 46 years; as in 2018) in Mumbai. When he was born, his parents gave him the name, Rahul. However, after a few days, they changed it to ‘Karan,’ making him ‘Karan Kumar Johar.’ His zodiac sign is Gemini.
Karan did his schooling from Greenlawns High School, Mumbai. He attended H.R. College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai and is an M. A. in French.
Height: 5′ 10″
Wight: 70 kg
Body Measurements: Chest 40″, Waist 34″, Biceps 12″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste and Girlfriend
Karan Johar’s father, Yash Johar, was a film producer.
His mother Hiroo Johar is also a film producer.
Baldev Raj Chopra and Yash Chopra, the noted filmmakers, are his maternal uncles.
Dharam Raj Chopra, the cinematographer and Raj Chopra, film distributor are also his maternal uncles. Vimla Chopra is his maternal aunt. Ravi Chopra (film producer and director), Aditya Chopra (filmmaker and director), and Uday Chopra (actor, producer, screenwriter) are his maternal cousins.
Aditya Chopra got married to the actress Rani Mukerji.
Adira Chopra, Kapil Chopra and Abhay Chopra are Karan’s Johar’s nephews.
Johar became the father of twins through surrogacy. Karan’s son, Yash’s name, has been taken from his grandfather’s name Yash Chopra and his daughter’s name ‘Roohi’ is the rearrangement of his mother, Hiroo’s name.
Karan Johar started his career as an actor with the 1989 Doordarshan serial “Indradhanush.”
He made his first Bollywood appearance as an actor with the role of a friend of Shah Rukh Khan in the movie “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.”
Karan entered the film industry as an assistant director with the movie “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995).” He made his directorial debut with the movie “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), which was a huge blockbuster.
He worked as a costume designer for Shah Rukh Khan in many films like “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995),” “Mohabbatein (2000),” “Main Hoon Na (2004),” “Veer-Zaara (2004),” and “Om Shanti Om (2007).” Karan Johar hosts the show, “Koffee with Karan” that airs on Star World. He has also been a judge in many reality shows like “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa” and “India’s Got Talent.” Karan has produced many films under the Dharma Productions, which he took over after his father’s death, first one being “Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003).”
He wrote a book on his life titled, “An Unsuitable Boy,” which was published in 2016.
- In 2018, there were rumours stating that Karan and actor Prabhas has a rift between them because Prabhas rejected another film of Karan due to salary issues with Karan. Later, Prabhas shut down the rumours saying that the news was false.
- Indian film director Ram Gopal Verma and Karan Johar are always in a cold war with each other. The fight started after Ram Gopal expressed his desire to remake “Raavan (2010)” as “My Name Is Raavan,” which was an indirect dig at Karan Johar’s “My Name Is Khan.” Karan replied by saying, “You have an amazing sense of humour Ramu! Never shows up in your films though.” A similar thing happened at the time of Karan’s movie, “Student Of The Year (2019),” when Ram Gopal tweeted that if someone takes off Karan Johar’s student of the year from Teacher of the Year, it will become a disaster of the year. To which Karan replied, ” Disaster is your territory Ramu….No one can ever replace the comfortable place you have made for yourself there.”
- An FIR was registered against Karan Johar and the actors, Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh, Sonakshi Sinha, Arjun Kapoor for their participation in “AIB Knockout roast.” A complaint was filed against them for indulging in obscene behaviour in public.
- In 2016, reportedly, Ajay Devgn suspected that Karan was paying Kamal Rashid Khan for only praising Karan’s upcoming film “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” and discrediting Ajay Devgn’s film Shivaay.
- After Uri Attack in September 2016, MNS and Shiv Sena demanded the Pakistani artistes to leave India and also asked the filmmakers to remove their scenes from the film. Though the actors Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan left India, Karan still supported them on twitter. Karan was found being threatened by MNS, who said that they would be beating Karan if he continued to work with Pakistani Actors.
- In Kofee With Karan, Anushka Sharma revealed how Karan Johar touched her inappropriately on the sets of “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil.” Anushka even said that she was going to file a sexual harassment case against him and further added that even Jacqueline Fernandez once complained about Karan touching her inappropriately.”
- Once in an Interview, Karan Johar stated that it was a punishment for Anushka Sharma’s character in ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” to die as the character does not fall in love with the hero. He faced immediate backlash with people commenting about his decision to kill the character of Anushka in the movie.
- National Film Awards for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for the movie “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” in 2000
- Best Director for the film “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” in 1999
- Best Screenplay for the film “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” in 1999
- Best Dialogue for the film “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham” in 2002
- Best Director for the film “My Name Is Khan” in 2011
- Best Film for the film “Raazi” in 2019
- Food: Parsi Food
- Filmmakers: Raj Kapoor, Yash Chopra, Sooraj R. Barjatya, Rajkumar Hirani
- Destination: New York
- TV Show: The Golden Girls
- Drink: Saint Emilion (Wine), Dom Perignon (Pink Champagne)
- Fashion Brand: Givenchy
- Perfume: Creed
- Restaurant: Starbucks Cofee in Mumbai
He owns a Jaguar XF.
His net worth is about ₹835 crore ($172 million).
- He used to love dancing to old Bollywood songs and was a big fan of Bollywood since his childhood.
- He wanted to become a hair stylist at the age of 4, a doctor at 10, copywriter at 15 and finally got settled with filmmaking at the age of 20.
- Karan followed Numerology, creating titles in which the first word began with the letter ‘K.’ After watching his 2006 film, “Lage Raho Munna Bhai,” Karan decided to stop this practice.
- He is very attached to his mother and sometimes is referred to as ‘Mumma’s Boy.’
- Karan once assisted his uncle Late Yash Chopra to step into film direction.
- He can speak French fluently.
- Karan is a cricket freak and loves playing it whenever he gets time.
- Karan is the first Indian filmmaker to become a jury member in Miss World Contest held at Warshaw, Poland in 2016.
- Apart from former Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh, Karan is the only Indian to be invited in the opening ceremony of London Olympics.
- Karan was chosen as one of the 250 Global Young Leaders in 2007 by the Geneva-based World Economic Forum 2006.
- He was appointed as the cultural leader in the World Economic Forum in 2017.
- He loves wearing a velvet jacket.
- He once had a crush on Twinkle Khanna.
- Karan Johar used to be good at delivering speeches and participated in elocutions during his school days. He even won several competitions.