Sonakshi Sinha is an Indian actress. She is known for being the daughter of veteran Bollywood actor and politician Shatrughan Sinha. She is considered one of the highest-paid actresses in Bollywood. She worked as a costume designer before venturing into the Hindi cinema.
Sonakshi Sinha was born on Tuesday, 2 June 1987 (age 36 years; as of 2023) in Patna, Bihar and raised in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. Sonakshi Sinha completed her school education at Arya Vidya Mandir, Mumbai. Later, she pursued a bachelor’s degree in Fashion Design at Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University (SNDT), Mumbai. Rediff
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 35-27-35
Parents & Siblings
Sonakshi Sinha is the daughter of Indian actor and politician Shatrughan Sinha. Her mother’s name is Poonam Sinha, and she is a homemaker. Poonam Sinha was a former Miss Young India (1968). She has two elder brothers, Luv Sinha and Kuch Sinha, who are twins.
She is not married.
Earlier, Sonakshi Sinha was in a relationship with Aditya Shroff, the owner of Fame cinemas.
After a breakup with Aditya, she began dating Bunty Sajdeh.
She lives at 49, Ramayan, 9th Road, JVPD Scheme, Juhu in Mumbai.
Before venturing into films, she worked as an usher (a person who shows people where to sit) at many events organised by Lakme Fashion Week in Mumbai. She then began working as a fashion designer and started attending professional acting and modelling classes. In 2008, she began modelling for Lakme Fashion week programs. In 2010, she made her acting debut with the Hindi film ‘Dabaang’ opposite Salman Khan. In the film, she played the role of ‘Rajjo Pandey.’
She then went on to appear in many hit movies including Rowdy Rathore (2012), Son of Sardaar (2012), Dabangg 2 (2012), and Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty (2014). In 2013, for her role in the film Lootera, she earned critical acclaim for playing the role of a troubled woman suffering from tuberculosis. She was nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Actress for the film Lootera.
Thereafter, Sonakshi Sinha appeared in Bollywood item songs such as ‘Go Go Govinda,’ ‘Thank God It’s Friday,’ ‘Party All Night,’ ‘Har Kisi Ko,’ ‘Nachan Farrate,’ and ‘Move Your Lakk.’
In 2014, she made her Tamil debut with the film Lingaa opposite Rajinikanth.
In 2014, Sonakshi Sinha lent her voice to the characters of the American film Rio 2. In 2015, appeared in Boney Kapoor‘s Tevar. Rajeev Masand, a film critic, commented in one of his articles that Sonakshi Sinha’s role in the film Tevar was limited to the dancing numbers only. Rajeev Masand stated,
Sonakshi Sinha, playing another simpering damsel in another South remake, once again has nothing to do. She appears content showing up for a few dance numbers, and waiting around for a man to save her.”
In 2017, Sonakshi Sinha was cast in the film Noor, which was a comedy film based on Saba Imtiaz’s novel Karachi, You’re Killing Me!
In 2019, she appeared in the film Mission Mangal in a supporting role. In the same year, in the film Total Dhamaal, she performed a dancing number titled ”Mungda,” and at the end of the year, Sonakshi appeared in the film Kalank. In 2021, she was cast in the film Bhuj: The Pride of India along with Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt, and Parineeti Chopra. In the same year, she worked with Salman Khan in the film Dabangg 3.
In 2014, she appeared in Yo Yo Honey Singh‘s music video Superstar.
Reality Show Judge
From 2015 to 2019, Sonakshi appeared as a judge in popular Indian reality shows including Indian Idol, Indian Idol Junior, Nach Baliye, Om Shanti Om, and Myntra Fashion Superstar.
In 2015, Sonakshi Sinha made her singing debut with the song “Aaj Mood Ishqholic Hai” in the film Tevar.
This song was composed by Meet Brothers. In 2016, in the film Akira, she sang the song titled “Rajj Rajj Ke.” In 2018, she lent her voice to the song “Rafta Rafta Medley” in the film Yamla Pagla Deewana: Phir Se. Sonakshi Sinha released her two songs “Hum Hindustani” and “Mil Mahiya” in 2021.
Later, in a live musical concert, she sang the song ‘Love Dose,’ which was earlier sung by Yo Yo Honey Singh.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
Sonakshi Sinha is the recipient of the Filmfare Awards, Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards, International Indian Film Academy Awards, Star Screen Awards, and Zee Cine Awards with the Best Female Debut award for the film Dabangg.
Sonakshi Sinha earned the Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Role – Female award for the film Son of Sardar by BIG Star Entertainment Awards.
Zee Cine Awards presented her with the Best Actress award for the film Lootera.
She owns a BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo (GT).
- Film Director: Sanjay Leela Bansali
- Colour (s): Green and Yellow
- Designer(s): Salvatore Ferragamo, Narendra Kumar, Manish Malhotra, and Vikram Phadnis.
- Perfumes(s): Victoria’s Secret Pink and Jean Paul Gaultier Classique
- Travel Destination(s): Paris and London
- According to Sonakshi Sinha, she follows a daily care routine for her skin. She cleanses, tones, and moisturizes her skin by applying Multani Mitti (Fullers Earth) pack. Reportedly, she drinks a lot of water to keep her skin fresh.
- Sonakshi Sinha never thought to become an actress. During her childhood, she also accompanied her father to various shooting locations.
- Sonakshi started working as an usher (a person who shows people where to sit) at the Lakme Fashion Week’s programs soon after completing her graduation in Fashion design.
- In 2014, Sonakshi Sinha bought a team in the World Kabaddi League in a joint collaboration for ongoing Kabaddi competitions.
- Sonakshi adores drawing sketches and painting in her free time. According to her, she likes underwater diving in her leisure time.
- It was rumoured in 2017 that Sonakshi would perform the opening act for Canadian singer Justin Bieber‘s Purpose World Tour concert at the DY Patil Stadium in Mumbai, but her performance could not occur due to some unknown reasons.
- A website named SOEZI was started by Sonakshi Sinha in 2020. On this website, she displays fashion and nail art accessories.
- According to Sonakshi Sinha, in Hindi cinema, she is highly inspired by the works of Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar.
- Once, during an ongoing Jain festival in Mumbai, a meat ban movement was announced by some protesters, and Sonakshi Sinha reacted to this ban on her Twitter handle following which she received several hate comments and trolling. Her Tweet was,
Meat ban in Mumbai due to the ongoing Jain festival. She had tweeted, "This is a free country! Welcome to BAN-istan… I meant india.. Stupid.”
- Sonakshi is an avid animal lover. She regularly shares pictures of her pet on social media. According to her, pets relieve human stress.
- Several well-known magazines and tabloids often feature Sonakshi Sinha on their cover.
- According to Sonakshi Sinha, she earned Rs. 500 as her first remuneration when she was working at a Fashion Week. In a media interview. she explained,
I got my first pay cheque when I volunteered as an usher at a fashion week. I was still in college then and I was being paid Rs 500 a day. By the time the event ended, I had earned Rs 3000. I gave the cheque to my parents. My mother has framed it and kept it as a memento.”
She added that she had the habit to hand over her earnings to her parents. She said,
Till date, every cheque I get, goes to my parents. I have few needs so whenever I need money, I ask them.”
- When Sonakshi Sinha was a child, she adored wearing sarees and a nose pin.
- Reportedly, Sonakshi Sinha donated a considerable amount of her first remuneration from the film Dabangg to Salman Khan’s NGO named Being Human.
- In her leisure time, Sonakshi likes photography, swimming, reading books, doing yoga, and dancing.
- Her looks are often compared with the popular actress ‘Reena Roy.’
- Sonakshi Sinha deactivated her Twitter handle in June 2020 soon after she was trolled for supporting her father in political rallies. In one of her posts on Instagram, she wrote,
How i got myself off twitter and away from the negativity. Some people are celebrating like they won something… im happy for you, tumhe laga raha hai na… lagne do, kisi ko koi farak nahi padh raha (I am happy that you feel this way. Continue feeling like that, nobody gives a damn).”
- She often walks the ramp for many fashion designers.
- Sonakshi Sinha has a star tattoo inked on her right collarbone.
- Before venturing into Indian cinema, Sonakshi Sinha was overweight, but she lost more than 30 kg for her debut film Dabangg in 2010. According to her, she regularly goes to the gym and often shares pictures and videos of her workout sessions on several social media platforms.
- Sonakshi Sinha was associated with PETA in 2013, and she also did a one-minute advertisement for PETA in which she was seen urging people to adopt and sterilise animals. In the video, she was saying,
Breeders, pet stores and people who don’t sterilize their animals are responsible for all the animals who end up homeless. Every time someone buys a dog or cat from a breeder or pet store, a homeless animal roaming the streets or waiting in an animal shelter loses a chance at a home and a good life.”
- Sonakshi Sinha often endorses many commercial brands through television advertisements.