Manish Malhotra is India’s one of the most successful and best-known Fashion Designers. He is mainly known for his bridal costumes.
Manish Malhotra was born on 5 December 1966 (age 55 years; as of 2021) in Westminster, London, UK. His Zodiac sign is Sagarrittus. He spent his childhood in the suburbs of Mumbai. He joined Elphinstone College. He did not receive any formal training in fashion designing but his passion for drawing and sketching, cinema, and dresses took him into the world of costume designing.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Affairs
Not much is known about Manish’s family. His father, Suraj Malhotra had passed away on 18 November 2019 after being unwell for some time. His was was in his 90’s at the time of death. He has a nephew named Punit Malhotra, who is a film director in Bollywood.
The news of Karan Johar’s relationship with Manish Malhotra has always been the lead. Rumours seemed to get true when Manish liked a comment posted on Birthday of Karan saying “You guys are the cutest couple.” Later, Manish snapped by replying that Karan was like his brother and it was ridiculous to talk like that.
He started his career as a model in Elphinstone College, in which he failed. He tried his luck by styling up for the costumes of Juhi Chawla in a movie. The movie was Swarg.
His luck paid off when he got Filmfare Costume Award for styling Urmila Matondkar in Rangeela (1995).
Ever since then, his career hiked to peak and gave him the big name in the Fashion Industry. In 1998, he ventured his couture store, Reverie- Manish Malhotra, opening his market to the Indian Subcontinent and Indian Diaspora. He launched his couture label MANISH MALHOTRA in 2005.
- Costume Design for the movie Rangeela in 1995
- Glamour and Style Award
- Elle Style Award for Stylish Designer Of The Year in 1999
- Indira Priyadarshini Memorial Award for his contribution to the fashion industry
- Felicitated by National Institute Of Fashion Technology
- International Film Festival Of India – Goa for Excellence Award
- Hindustan Times for Most Stylish – Delhi Season 6 in 2016
- Lycra MTV Style Awards for Celebrity Style in 2006
- FICCI- Speaker in 2014 for Changing facade of the fashion industry in India
Note: He has many other awards and honours to his name.
- Actress: Karishma Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Kajol, Sridevi
- Actor: Shah Rukh Khan
- Filmmaker: Karan Johar
- Director: Feroz Abbas Khan
The controversy between Manish Malhotra and Anushka Sharma was a widely discussed one. Anushka chose all of her wedding garments by Sabhyasachi instead of Manish. Manish was not even visible in the reception ceremony of Anushka and Virat Kohli. It all started with the sets of “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” and the wedding dress of the Anushka in the movie. She was upset about the dress and said that the dress gave her the feeling of the bride. Later, Manish laughed it off by saying that it was all a misconception.
- Manish loves travelling.
- He is obsessed with Hindi Films since his childhood.
- Manish Malhotra drinks Alcohol.
- Manish grew up dreaming of becoming part of the fashion industry, choosing to give up on his family business to pursue a fashion career.
- Not only for Bollywood, but Manish has also worked for Hollywood stars like Demi Moore, Kylie Minogue, Karolina Kurkova, Kate Moss, and Naomi Campbell.
- He has designed clothes also for Michael Jackson when he visited India for a Bollywood Show.
- He has collaborated with Google to launch the G Suite- an app designed for modern professionals.
- He designed the jersey of IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Manish wishes to be a Film Director in the future.
- In March 2022, he purchased an apartment on the second floor of Bhojwani Enclave, Bandra West, Mumbai. Reportedly, the property cost him Rs. 21 crores. Great Andhra
Last night I saw him in my dream