Virat Kohli is the captain of the Indian cricket team who is known as the Run Machine and King Kohli in international cricket. He is an elegant batsman who usually bats on first down in the Indian cricket team. He is famous for breaking several records in international cricket. He is at no. 5 in the list of most hundreds by a batsman in international cricket. Check out Virat Kohli, height, weight, age, girlfriend, wife, caste, family, biography, and more.
Virat Kohli is 33 years old Indian cricketer who has been playing for the Indian cricket team for the last decade. He was born on 5 November 1988 in Delhi, India. Cricket was something that fascinated him in his childhood, and he adopted cricket as his passion. He completed his higher studies from ‘Vishal Bharti Public School, Delhi’ and secondary schooling from ‘Saviour Convent Senior Secondary School, Paschim Vihar, Delhi.’ He does not have any graduation degree; as he started concentrating on his game after completion of his schooling.
Apart from being a genius cricketer, he has a dashing personality. He looks quite cool and handsome in his appearance. Being a sportsperson, he maintains his fitness by doing workouts and other physical activities. He weighs around 70 kg and his height is 5′ 9″ inches. His eyes are dark brown and the hair is black. He has a built-up body. His chest is around 40 inches, waist- 30 inches, and biceps are 14 inches.
Family & Caste
Virat belongs to a middle-class Hindu family from Delhi. His caste is Khatri.
Parents & Siblings
His father name is Late Prem Kohli who was a criminal lawyer. His mother name is Saroj Kohli who is a homemaker. Virat is youngest of three siblings. His sister name is Bhawna Kohli and his brother name is Vikas Kohli. Both always supported Virat in every situation.
Relationships, Wife & Children
He got married to Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma on 11 December 2017 in Tuscany, Italy. He had been dating Anushka for a long time.
On Monday, 11 January 2021, Virat and Anushka took to Twitter to announce that they had been blessed with a baby girl. Later, they named the girl “Vamika.”
— Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) January 11, 2021
Before dating Anushka Sharma, he was in a relationship with Sarah-Jane Dias (actress), Sanjana (actress), Tamannah Bhatiya (actress), and Izabelle Leite (A Brazilian model) according to the media reports.
Virat was passionate about cricket since his childhood. He started playing cricket in his schooldays. After playing for domestic teams such as Delhi and India Red, he made his one-day international debut on 18 August 2008 against Sri Lanka in Dambulla. Later in 2010 and 2011, he made his T20 and Test debut respectively against Zimbabwe and West Indies. In 2008, he captained the Indian Under-19 team in the world cup in Malaysia and led the team to win the cup. This was the turning point of his career. He got a chance in the senior Indian team and he cashed-out the opportunity. Since then, he continued to play and broke several records. He is the fifth batsman in the list of most hundreds by an international batsman in the ICC rankings. The top four in the list have retired and played more matches than Virat. Till now (July 2018), he has scored 17435 runs including all three formats. In 2014, he was appointed as the captain of the Indian cricket team in all formats after the resignation of M. S. Dhoni as the Indian captain. Since then, he captained the team India in 49 ODI matches out of which India won 38 matches. He is the Indian skipper, under the captainship of which, India won 5 consecutive test series and 9 test in a calendar year. In IPL, he plays for Royal Challengers Bengaluru. He made the record of most runs (973) and most hundreds (4) in an IPL season.
On 16 September 2021, he announced through a post on Twitter that he will take retirement as the captain of India’s T20 team, but he will remain the skipper of the ODI and Test teams. He wrote,
I’ve decided to step down as the T20 captain after this T20 World Cup in Dubai in October. Understanding workload is a very important thing and considering my immense workload over the last 8-9 years playing all three formats and captaining regularly for last five to six years, I feel I need to give myself space to be fully ready to lead Indian team in Test and ODI cricket. I have given my everything to the Team during my time as T20 captain and I will continue to do so for the T20 team as a batsman moving forward.”
On 15 January 2022, a day after India lost the series 2-1 to South Africa, he stepped down as Test captain. Earlier, he was removed as the ODI captain. He announced his decision to step down as Test captain on Twitter. The Hindu He tweeted,
It has been 7 years of hard work, toil and relentless perseverance everyday to take the team in the right direction. I’ve done the job with absolute honesty and left nothing out there. Everything has to come to a halt at some stage and for me as Test captain of India, it is now. There have been many ups and also some downs along the journey: but never had there been a lack of effort or a lack of belief.”
I have always believed in giving my 120 percent in everything I do, and if I can’t do that, I know it is not the right thing to do. I have absolute clarity in my heart and I cannot be dishonest to the team.”
In his tweet, Kohli also thanked Shastri & Co.
Ravi Bhai and the support group who were the engine behind this vehicle that moved up in Test Cricket consistently. You all have played a massive role in bringing this vision to life. Lastly, a big thank you to M.S. Dhoni who believed in me as captain and found me to be an able individual who could take Indian cricket forward.”
- He is the first Indian to score a century on World Cup debut match (2011) and third Indian to make 2 ODI hundreds by the age of 22 (after Sachin Tendulkar & Suresh Raina).
- He is fastest Indian to complete 1000, 3000, 4000, 5000, and 7500 runs in ODI cricket and to score 25 ODI tons.
- He made the fastest century (of 52 balls) against Australia at Jaipur, India in 2013. (of 52 balls against Australia at Jaipur, India in 2013).
- He is the third player to score 3 double hundreds in a calendar year after Don Bradman and Ricky Ponting.
- He shares the record of 4 double hundreds with Don Bradman, Graeme Smith, and Michael Clarke.
- First Indian Test skipper to score a double century in an overseas Test.
- The fastest player to make 19,000 runs overall in international cricket.
- On 19 January 2020, while playing against Australia in Bengaluru, he became the highest run-scorer as an Indian skipper. He scored 11208 runs as captain; surpassing former skipper MS Dhoni, who amassed 11207 runs as captain.
- On 2 November 2022, he beat former Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene as the highest run-scorer in Twenty20 World Cup history when Kohli reached 16 against Bangladesh in Adelaide. Mahela scored 1,016 runs in 31 innings, while Kohli achieved the feat in his 23rd inning. The Hindu
- During the second semi-final against England in the 2022 T20 World Cup, he became the first batter to score 4000 runs. India Today
- In his schooldays, his favourite subject was ‘History’, and ‘Maths’ was quite difficult for him.
- In 2003, he was the highest run-scorer for Delhi in the 2002-2003 Polly Umrigar Trophy, with 172 runs at an average of 34.40 and for the same, Ashish Nehra awarded him in his coach Raj Kumar Sharma’s academy.
- His teammates call him ‘Chikoo.’ This name was given by his Delhi State coach Ajit Chaudhary in his childhood days.
- In 2006, his father died of a brain stroke, but the very next day after his father’s death, he played a match-saving knock for Delhi against Karnataka, where he scored 90 runs.
- He has a number of superstitions. He always wears black or red wristbands, and ‘Kada.’
- He has a phobia of heights.
- His Indian team and IPL team jersey number are 18.
- He loves playing against Pakistan and Australia.
- He is a very aggressive as well as an emotional person, he cries when he gets upset. He was seen crying on the field when India lost the qualifier match in 2012’s T20 World cup.
- He won the ICC ODI Player of the Year Award in 2012 and 2017.
- In 2012, he was named as one of the 10 best dressed international men.
- He was given the Arjuna Award (2013) and Padma Shri Award (2017) by the Government of India.
- The same year, he was appointed the first brand ambassador of Border Security Force (BSF).
- In 2016, his singing video on the song “Jo Wada Kiya Hai Nibhana Padhega” went viral on the internet.
- In 2018, the Government of India conferred Virat Kohli with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- He is the co-owner of the ‘UAE Royals’ International Premier Tennis League team.
- He has multiple tattoos on his body. The first on his left shoulder is ‘God’s eye’ which symbolizes the power of seeing and understanding. Second on his left shoulder is ‘Japanese Samurai warrior’ which symbolizes the loyalty self-discipline and respect, ethical behavior towards life. Third on his left arm is a ‘Monastery’ which is a symbol of a place of peace and power. Fourth on his left arm is ‘Lord Shiva in meditation on Mount Kailash,’ and the last one on his right bicep is a ‘Scorpion’ which is his Zodiac sign. In March 2023, he flaunted a new tattoo on his right hand ahead of the 2023 season of IPL.
- He owns a restaurant in Delhi named ‘ Nueva.’
- He is fond of cars and has Audi Q7, Audi S6, Audi R8 V10, Audi R8 LMX, Audi A8L W12 Quattro, Toyota Fortuner.
- His net worth is around ₹400 crore. His Test match fee is ₹15 lakh, ODI- 6 Lakh, T20- 3 Lakh, and IPL- 17 crore. His retainer fee is ₹7 crore.
- His home address is DLF City Phase-1, Block-C, Gurugram.
- He loves watching the matches of Roger Federer and old cricket videos. He likes soccer and tennis beside Cricket.
- His favourite cricketers are Sachin Tendulkar, Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, David Warner, Joe Root, Herschelle Gibbs, and Shane Warne.
- His favourite celebrities are Aamir Khan, Penelope Cruz, Aishwarya Rai, Kareena Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Johnny Depp, and Robert Downey Jr.
- His favourite commentator is Harsha Bhogale.
- In 2011, Kohli on his first tour to Australia, showed his middle finger to the Sydney crowd after they abused him when he was fielding the boundary at the boundary line during the second Test.
- In 2013, during a match between Royal Challengers Bangalore, and Kolkata Knightriders in IPL 6, Kohli and Gautam Gambhir had an ugly spat. After getting out, instead of walking back, Kohli made some remarks which angered Gambhir, after which both started abusing each other until Rajat Bhatia intervened.
- Before the 2015 World Cup in Australia, the BCCI disallowed the Indian players to stay with their wives, or girlfriends during the World Cup. But according to reports, Kohli was staying in the same hotel where his girlfriend Anushka Sharma was staying.
- In 2016, Kohli abused a journalist after a practice session during the T20 World Cup, as Kohli thought that that particular journalist had written an article about actress Anushka Sharma in the National Daily. But, later Kohli came to know that it was the wrong journalist, after which he apologized immediately.
- Though Anil Kumble was named as the Indian cricket team coach in June 2016, in early 2017, there were many reports that were doing rounds hinting at differences between Anil and Virat Kohli. However, prior to the Champions Trophy 2017, when the BCCI published an advertisement for the post of men’s Indian cricket team coach, Anil felt deeply hurt and decided to discontinue his coaching job, and on 21 June 2017, Anil gave his resignation from the post of the Indian cricket team coach.
- Here is Virat Kohli’s signature.
- In February 2021, while conversating with former England player Mark Nicholas on his ‘Not Just Cricket’ podcast, Kohli revealed that he battled depression during India’s tour of England in 2014 during which his average score was 13.50 in 10 innings; 1, 8, 25, 0, 39, 28, 0,7, 6 and 20 runs in five Tests. While speaking about his depression, he said,
You just don’t understand how to get over it. That was a phase when I literally couldn’t do anything to overturn things…I felt like I was the loneliest guy in the world.”
- On 7 June 2022, he became the first Indian to have more than 200 million followers on Instagram. NDTV
- In September 2022, Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma jointly bought an eight-acre land at Alibaug in South Mumbai. Reportedly, the property was valued at around Rs 19 crores at the time of its purchase. Business Today
- On 4 September 2022, after the India-Pakistan match in the Asia Cup in Dubai, Kohli revealed that when he stepped down as the Test captain in January 2022, only Mahendra Singh Dhoni messaged him. Kohli revealed this while he was speaking to the media. He said,
One thing I can tell you is when I gave up Test captaincy, I got a message from only one person who I’ve played with before — M. S. Dhoni.”
He also took a dig at those who never approached him personally rather they gave multiple suggestions to the cricketer on various TV debates. He said,
A lot of people have my number and a lot of people give suggestions on TV, but among people who have my number, I didn’t get a message from anyone else.” The Hindu
- In February 2023, he bought a 2,000 sq ft villa in Alibaug’s Avas Living for Rs 6 crores. News 18
i like your biography of lifestail
Your article writing style is so impressive and you covered every single point. I really enjoyed this post.
I love virat kholi me ap se bht muhabbt krta hn me apse milna chata hn khuaab he mera lekin majbor hn bhai jaan
Don’t like virat kholi.
He’s too arrogant & full of s–t.
Verbal diahorea comes out of his mouth.
I love u Virat ♥️ ♥️. You are my favorite cricketer.
World’ 🌎 me kohli jaisa koi nhi ,❤️ love u bro ❤️
U always my favourite