The young Indian sensation Shubman Gill from Punjab is a right-handed batsman, who has been making waves in the domestic and India A circuit. His nickname is Shubhi and is known for his compact technique and aggressive stroke play.
Shubman was born on 8 September 1999 (age 19; as in 2018) in Fazilka, Punjab, India. He was educated at Manav Mangal Smart School, Mohali, Punjab. Shubman is playing cricket since his childhood and has idolized Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, and VVS Laxman. His family relocated from Fazilka to Mohali, where they lived in a rented house located near the Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium, so that Shubman could play and brush up his skills related to cricket.
Height: 5′ 10”
Weight: 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements: Chest 38″, Waist 30″, Biceps 12″
Family & Caste
Shubman was born in a Sikh Family. His father, Lakhwinder Singh Gill, an agriculturist and, his mother is Keart Gill.
He has an elder sister, Shahneel Kaur Gill.
Shubhman was chosen to play in the Under-16 Punjab cricket team, at the age of 11, at district-level. Next, he made List A debut against Vidarbha cricket team in Delhi (2017). Afterward, in the same year, he got selected to play in India’s Under-19 cricket team. When he played his first match against England in the Youth ODI series, he made a score of total 351 runs that turned his life upside down and also got him the Man of the Series title. He was selected as the vice-captain for the Under-19 Cricket World Cup (2018). In 2018, he became part of the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) who hired him for Rs 1.8 crore in the IPL auction.
Records and Achievements
- He made a record after scoring maximum runs (330) in five games, in his debut series.
- He had a score of more than 200 runs when he played Under-16 Punjab state-level match (2014) for his first Vijay Merchant Trophy.
- His score count was 351 when he played in the Inter-District Under-16 Punjab cricket tournament ML Markan Trophy.
- He is known for the world record opening partnership of 587 runs along with Nirmal Singh at the district level.
- He is the 4th youngest cricketer of Punjab to score a first-class century in Ranji Trophy (2017).
- He bagged the M.A.Chidambaram Trophy from the BCCI for the best under-16 cricketer for a successful season (2013-2014).
- He likes swimming in his leisure time.
- He admires Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli.
- His father also had a desire to become a cricketer but did not get a chance to do so.
- He is a loyal supporter of a Spanish football club, FC Barcelona.
- While batting, he keeps a red handkerchief on his waist area.