Shaik Rasheed is an Indian cricketer who became popular for being the vice-captain of the U-19 Indian cricket team that won the U-19 Cricket World Cup in February 2022.
Shaik Rasheed was born on Friday, 24 September 2004 (age 17 years; as of 2021) in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. He attended Reddy College, Andhra Pradesh.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 38 Inches, Waist: 34 Inches, Biceps: 12 Inches
Parents & Siblings
Rasheed’s father’s name is Shaik Balishavali, who is a banker. His mother’s name is Jyothi.
He is an elder brother, Shaik Riaz.
Rasheed made his first international debut with an ODI on 25 December 2021 against Pakistan in Dubai. In 2020, Rasheed had to face rejection when he was not selected for the U-14 and U-16 Andhra teams. After this, he did training for two years after which he was selected for the Andhra U-14 team.
In 2018, he got selected for the team that played the Vijay Merchant Trophy in which he made three centuries and scored 674 runs. In 2020, he played in the Vinoo Mankad Trophy where he scored 376 runs in six matches and became the second-highest run-getter. In December 2021, he was selected for the U-19 Asia Cup in which he scored 90 runs on 103 balls against Bangladesh in the semi-final. He has performed very well in the U-19 ODIs against various teams including Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Srilanka, West Indies, and Australia. In November 2021, he participated in the Challengers Trophy and was the captain of the India B team that won four matches during the tournament.
U-19 Cricket World Cup
In February 2022, he was the vice-captain of the Indian team in the U-19 Cricket World Cup. He scored 50 runs in the U-19 Cricket World Cup 2022 final match against England. In an interview, he talked about how he felt after winning the World Cup and said,
Winning the World Cup U-19 title is memorable as it has made my parents proud. They have sacrificed a lot in their lives to see me in this position. I will never let them down.”
In 2020, he became the man of the match in the Under-19 Triangular series.
- Cricketer: Virat Kohli
- Colour: Purple
- Rasheed is a right-handed batsman and right-arm leg-break bowler.
- He started training when he was very young. His academy Prasad Cricket Academy in Hyderabad was fifty kilometres away from his house. In an interview, he said that his father used to drop him at the academy and he would often get late to reach his office because of which he had to leave his job. After his father left the job, they moved back to Guntur.
- At the age of eight, he gave an excellent performance in a tournament in Andhra Pradesh where he received an award from former cricketer VVS Laxman.
- In an interview, Rasheed revealed that the fees of the academies in Guntur were very high and his family could not afford his admission to the academy. After some time, his father arranged some money and paid for his training at the ACA’s residential cricket academy. He did his schooling and cricket coaching there. He took training under coach J Krishna Rao who praised his posture and game while playing. In an interview, his coach talked about him and said,
He must have been 7 or 8 and was facing our U-16 bowlers quite comfortably. He looked so composed. Deep down I knew that he has talent and must nurture him delicately.”
- In January 2022, he tested positive for Covid-19 and was unable to play the initial matches of the U-19 World Cup.
- In 2022, the Andra Cricket Association announced that Rasheed would receive a cash prize of Rs. 10 lakh for his performance in the U-19 Cricket World Cup.