Jhulan Nishit Goswami is an Indian Cricketer. She has played cricket for India since 2002. She is the leading woman wicket-taker in the world with more than 200 wickets.
Jhulan Goswami was born in a Bengali family on 25 November 1982 (Age: 36 years, as in 2018) in Chakdaha, Nadia, West Bengal, India. In her childhood, she was fond of playing and watching football. However, her interest in cricket grew when she watched the 1992 cricket World Cup on TV. When she was 15 years old, she took up cricket and trained herself in this sport. There were no facilities in her hometown for cricket training, then she moved to Kolkata, and focussed on her study and cricket.
- Height: 180 cm or 5’11”
- Weight: 70 kg or 154 lbs
- Body Statistics: 36-32-36
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Colour: Black
She was born to Nisith Goswami and Jharna Goswami.
The information about her siblings is not known. She is unmarried.
When she was in her teen ages, she made her first-class debut for the Bengal Cricket Team. When she was only 19 years old, she made her debut for the India national women’s cricket team against England in ODI format in Chennai. On 14 January 2002, she made her Test Cricket debut for the National women’s cricket team against England in Lucknow. In 2006, Goswami made her T20 International debut in Derby, England. She bats with right-hand and bowls right-arm medium fast. In 2008, she was made the captain of the National women’s cricket team and led the team until 2011. In 2008, Goswami became the fourth woman to reach 100 wickets in ODI at Asia Cup. She has also served as a bowling consultant for India women’s national cricket team and played as a player-coach.
- She has a 10-wicket haul in the test format of cricket.
- In May 2017, she became the leading wicket-taker in Women One Day International Cricket. She has taken more than 200 wickets in her career.
- In September 2018, Goswami took her 300th wicket in the International cricket.
- ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year (2007)
- Arjuna Award for Cricket (2010)
- Padma Shri (2012)
- Male Cricketer(s): Sachin Tendulkar, Glenn McGrath
- Female Cricketer: Belinda Clark
- Food: Chinese
- Actor: Aamir Khan
- Actress: Kajol
- Film: 3 Idiots
- Commentator: Sunil Gavaskar
- Destination: London
Goswami is a grade A cricket player and under her contract, she receives Rs. 50 Lakh per annum. DNA
- After Cathryn Fitzpatrick, Goswami became the world’s fastest woman bowler. Her bowling speed is about 120 kmph.
- The most number of wickets in her career, she has taken against England (More than 40 wickets).
- In August 2018, she announced her retirement from WT20 International Cricket.
- Director, Sushanta Das, is set to direct a biopic titled ‘Chakdaha Express‘ on Goswami’s life.
- Her nicknames are Babul, Gozzy.
- Her hobbies are watching football and movies, reading, etc.
References [ + ]