Andre Dwayne Russell is a Jamaican Cricketer who plays for West Indies. He is considered one of the most powerful hitters of the cricket ball. He is an all-rounder and plays in the middle order for the West Indies. He is a right-hand batsman and right-arm fast bowler.
Andre Russell was born on 29 April 1988 (Age: 31 years, as in 2019) in Kingston, Jamaica. He was born in a poor family, his mother wanted him to pursue higher studies but he asked for 2 years to try his luck in cricket and he got successful in the game.
- Height: 185 cm or 6’1″
- Weight: 80 kg or 176 lbs
- Chest Size: 42 inches
- Waist Size: 32 inches
- Biceps Size: 15 inches
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Colour: Black
He was born to Michael Russell and Sandra Davis. His mother was a teacher. He is the eldest of his four siblings. In 2016, he married his longtime girlfriend, Jassym Lora who is a model.
The couple has a daughter, Aaliyah Russell.
In 2010, he started playing cricket at Barnards Green Cricket Club in Worcestershire, England. In that season, he took 39 wickets at an average of 10.15 and also scored 799 runs in 11 innings with the average of 99.88. As an allrounder, he made his Test Cricket debut against Sri Lanka. He made his ODI debut in the 2011 Cricket World Cup against Ireland at Mohali in India. On 21 April 2011, he made his T20 debut against Pakistan. On 10 May 2012, he made his IPL debut for Delhi Daredevils against Deccan Chargers. He has also played county cricket and in Caribbean Premier League (CPL).
- On 21 September 2013, in a T20 international match against India A team, he took 4 wickets in 4 consecutive deliveries. In these four deliveries, he took the wickets of Kedar Jadhav, Yuvraj Singh, Naman Ojha and Yusuf Pathan.
- In the 2015-16 Big Bash League, he scored 185 runs at a strike rate of 186 and took 16 wickets as well. He helped Sydney Thunder to win the title.
- Playing against Trinbago Knight Riders in the 2018 Caribbean Premier League, he scored a century off 40 balls only, hitting 6 fours and 13 sixes. In the same match, he took a hat-trick. Thus he became the second cricketer after Joe Denly to score a century and to take a hat-trick in the same match.
- He was banned from Cricket for one year on 31 January 2017, when he committed an “anti-doping whereabouts” violation. ESPN
- Russell prioritizes domestic and league cricket more than International cricket and once he said a controversial statement about it that playing just for West Indies wouldn’t be enough to meet his expenses.
- Cricketer(s): AB de Villiers, Chris Gayle, Courtney Walsh
- Food: Curry goat, Fried Dumplings, Ackee and Saltfish
- Actor: Jamie Foxx
In the 2012 IPL auction, he was bought by Delhi Daredevils for $450,000. For the 2014 IPL, he was bought by Kolkata Knight Riders for Rs 60 Lakh. He also played in the 2016 Pakistan Super League and bought by Islamabad United for $140,000. For the 2018 and 2019 IPL, he was retained by Kolkata Knight Riders for his previous sum of Rs. 8.5 crore.
- He likes to drink alcohol.
- Russell wanted to wear jersey #99, but when he had to wear #12 for West Indies.
- He is considered one of the most powerful hitters of the cricket ball.
- Russell is an aggressive batsman and likes to play against Australia.
- His favourite shot is ‘pull’ shot.
- In 2011, when he scored 92 not out at the 3rd game of an ODI series against India was his career turning point.
- His nicknames are Dre Russ and A Russell.
- His hobbies are Dancing, Listening to Music, etc.
- In 2014, he started out a new career as a record artist under the name ‘Dre Russ.’
References [ + ]