Navjot Singh Sidhu was born on 20 October 1963 (age 57 years, as of 2020) in Patiala, Punjab. He did his schooling from Patiala’s Yadavindra Public School and went to Mohindra College, Panjab University, Chandigarh to pursue his graduation. Just like his father, he also wanted to be a cricketer. At the age of 20, he gave a trial for the Indian National Cricket Team and got selected in the team.
Height (approx.): 6’ 2”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Light Brown
Family, Caste & Wife
Sidhu belongs to a Jat Sikh Family. His father, Late Sardar Bhagwant Singh, was a cricketer. He was also the Attorney General of Punjab. His mother’s name was Nirmal Sidhu. Sidhu had two sisters, Late Neelam Mahajan and Suman Toor.
Sidhu is married to Navjot Kaur Sidhu, a doctor and politician. The couple has a daughter, Rabia Sidhu, and a son, Karan Sidhu.
Navjot Singh Sidhu made his international cricket debut in 1983 where he managed to score only 19 runs against West Indies in a Test cricket match. He was dropped from the team after playing only two Test matches. After 4 years, He made his One-Day International Debut in the 1987 Cricket World Cup where he scored 73 runs against Australia. He then scored half-centuries in four of the five matches in which he batted. His first ODI century came against Pakistan in Sharjah in 1989. In 1993, he made his highest ODI score of 134 runs against England. After playing in over 50 Test matches and over 100 ODIs and scoring over 7,000 runs in his 18-year career, Sidhu announced his retirement from all forms of cricket in December 1999.
In 2001, he started his career as a commentator for the sports program “Takeshi’s Castle.” Later, he also started doing commentary for Cricket.
Sidhu joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2004 and contested in the Indian General Elections from Amritsar Constituency. He won the elections and held the seat till 2014. He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha before resigning from his position in the same year. After leaving BJP, he finally joined the Indian National Congress (INC) on 15th January 2017.
On 18 July 2021, Navjot Singh Sidhu was appointed president of the Punjab Congress Committee.
In addition to his cricket and political journey, Sidhu has made special appearances in various films like “ABCD 2,” “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi,” and “Mera Pind.” He was a popular contestant in the season 6 of the reality TV show “Big Boss” but he had to leave the show early in order to fulfil his political commitments. Sidhu is also popular for judging and being a permanent guest on the comedy shows like “Comedy Nights With Kapil” and “The Kapil Sharma Show.”
- In 2006, Sidhu was sentenced to a 3-year prison term for culpable homicide following the 1988 road rage incident. However, his sentence was suspended by the Indian Supreme Court after his appeal.
- A complaint was lodged against Sidhu to Akal Takht for twisting the words from Gurbani by the All India Sikh Student Federation (AISSF).
- In 2014, Navjot was accused of breaching a contractual agreement with Star India by working as a commentator for Set Max’s Indian Premier League.
- On 18 August 2018, Sidhu was one of the special guests present at the oath-taking ceremony of Imran Khan at the Aiwan-e-Sadr (the President House) in Islamabad, Pakistan. There is hugged General Qamar Javed Bajwa, the Pakistani army chief, for which he was highly criticised in India.
- He became the 1st Indian cricketer to score 5 centuries in the ODI’s.
- His highest ODI score was of 134 runs against England at Gwalior in 1993.
- He made a record of scoring 500 Test runs in a year thrice, firstly in the year 1993, then in 1994, and later, in 1997.
- He scored 201 runs in 1996-97, against West Indies by playing on the cricket crease for 11 hours.
His car collection includes a Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Fortuner, and Mini Cooper.
Sidhu possesses a movable property of around ₹59 lakh, which includes gold rings worth ₹15 lakh and watches worth ₹44 lakh. He also owns a commercial land at Commercial Chotti Baradari, PTA Showroom 146/5 and a residential plot at H.No. 26, Yadvindra Colony, PTA.
Sidhu’s net worth is estimated to be ₹50 crore (as in 2016). He gets paid around ₹1,10,000 (as in 2016) plus some other allowances as an MLA.
- Car: Toyota Fortuner
- Opponent Cricket Team: Pakistan
- Cricket Shot: Hitting over the top
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- Food: Chole Bhature
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- His hobbies include surfing the Internet and learning new things.
- Despite being a Sikh, Sidhu has immense knowledge and respect for the Hindu religion.
- He follows a vegetarian diet.
- Navjot scored 5 fifties in a row in the 1987 World Cup.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu and his wife, Navjot Kaur Sidhu, are known for their honest work in the politics due to which they had issues with the Akali government in Punjab for their style of working.
- Sidhu walked out of the 1996 England Tour as his captain Mohammad Azharuddin was frequently abusing him.
- Sidhu is an ardent follower of Swami Vivekanand. It was in 1998, that he read a book by Swami Vivekanand and got inspired by his teachings and principles. Sidhu said during an interview that “Swami Vivekananda has changed my life.”
- After Sidhu remained absent for a long time from his Lok Sabha Constituency, an NGO offered a reward of ₹2 lakh for getting him back to his constituency.
- He is considered to have mastered the art of meditation, which he started to overcome tough times after his father’s demise.
- His family and friends fondly call him Sixer Sidhu, Sherry, Sidhu Paaji, and Jonty Singh.
- He got his nickname “Sherry” as he was often referred to as “Sher-e-Punjab” (Tiger of Punjab) due to his daring and bold attitude. So, the “Sher-e-Punjab” got shortened to “Sherry.”