Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari is an Indian filmmaker and writer who is famous for her films like “Nil Battey Sannata” and “Bareilly Ki Barfi.”
Ashwiny Iyer was born on 15 October 1979 in Mulund, Mumbai. She studied at St Marys Convent and completed her higher education from SIES College of Commerce and Economics. Later, she went on to attend an art school; however, she had to convince her mother for that.
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
She was born in a Tamil Hindu Family. Her Mother’s name is Lakshmi Subramanium, who was the principal of S.M.P.R school in Mulund. She married to the writer-director, Nitesh Tiwari.
The couple has two children, named Amaarisa and Aaradhya.
She worked at the advertising agency Leo Burnett for 15 years. She quit Leo Burnett to pursue her dream in filmmaking. She made her directorial debut with the movie “Nil Battey Sannata (2016)” that went internationally by the name “The New Classmate.”
She directed the Tamil remake of the same movie named “Amma Kanakku” in 2016. Her first short film was “What’s for Breakfast.” The most successful movie that won her a Filmfare was the 2017 romantic comedy “Bareilly Ki Barfi.”
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the short film “What’s for Breakfast” in 2012
- Best Debut Director for the film “Nil Battey Sannata” in 2017
- Best Director for the film “Bareilly Ki Barfi” in 2018
- Food: Dahi Chawal, Pancakes, Bhutta, Sattu Roti, Truffles, Ippodu, Spaghetti, Sabudana Khichdi, Khandvi
- Movie Genre: Emotional
- Movie: Bicycle Thief, Dangal
- Singer: Alka Yagnik, Jassie Gill
- Song: Gazab Ka Hai Din Socho Zara
- Animal: Cats
- Ashwiny is a gold medalist of commercial arts from Sophia Polytechnic, Mumbai.
- Working in an advertising agency, she has won several awards like Cannes Lions, New York festival, One show, Promax, and the Goafest Awards.
- She has a cat named Khoblu.
- She was selected as one of the “Powerful Women in 2016” in the Femina Poll.
- She was a part of Grazia Women Achievers 2016.
- She considers herself a feminist to the core.
- She loves doing photography.
- Ashwiny usually talks about how people around her refer to her as “Sir” and not “Madam.” She says in a male-dominated society, people cannot think a woman so domineering like a man. That is why people refer to her as “Sir” and not Ma’am.
- In an Interview, she revealed that she was working on a novel based on her life.