Sonu Sood is an Indian actor, model, and producer who has predominantly worked in Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada films. The actor is also known for his humanitarian work.
Sonu Sood was born on Monday, 30 July 1973 (age 47 years; as in 2020) in Moga, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Leo.
He did his schooling from Moga’s Sacred Heart School.
After completing his tenth standard, Sonu briefly worked at his father’s showroom in Moga, where he learnt to identify different fabrics and also learnt how to sell them. Thereafter, he went to Nagpur and got himself enrolled in the Yeshwantrao Chavan College of Engineering to pursue Electronic Engineering. Sood was good at academics in his school and college days. While he was in the second year of his college, his friends encouraged him to pursue modelling and acting as a career.
After completing his graduation, Sood went to Mumbai and started taking modelling assignments.
During his initial years in Mumbai, Sood did a job in a private firm in South Mumbai to support his day-to-day expenses. Before becoming an actor, he also contested in the Grasim Mr. India contest and reached the top 5.
Height IMDb: 6′ 0¾”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Family & Caste
Sonu Sood belongs to a Hindu Family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Shakti Sagar Sood was an entrepreneur. His mother, Saroj Sood was a teacher. He has an elder sister, Monika Sood (Scientist), and a younger sister, Malvika Sachar.
Wife & Children
Sonu Sood is married to Sonali Sood. The couple has two sons, Ayaan Sood and Eshaan Sood.
Sonu Sood started his acting career in 1999 with the Tamil film, “Kallazhagar” in which he played the role of ‘Soumya Narayanan.’ Next, he played an antagonist in the Telugu film “Hands Up!.” He made his Bollywood debut in 2002 with the Bollywood film, “Shaheed-E-Azam” in which he played the role of ‘Bhagat Singh.’ He came into the spotlight after playing the role of Abhishek Bachchan‘s brother in the Bollywood film, “Yuva.”
In 2005, he starred in the Telugu film, “Super” and gained huge popularity. Subsequently, he appeared in many Telugu films, like “Athadu,” “Ashok,” “Arundhati,” “Ek Niranjan,” and “Shakti.”
Some of his popular Bollywood films include “Aashiq Banaya Aapne,” “Dabangg,” “Happy New Year,” “Gabbar Is Back,” and “Simmba.”
Sood made his English film debut in 2017 with the film, “Rockin’ Meera.” He has also featured in the Chinese film, “Xuanzang.”
- In 2013, a fraud case was filed against Sonu Sood by the film producer, Sheetal Talwar, for renting out a property to him on the Yari Road by saying that the land was free from any legal dispute, when it was not. News 18
- Sonu again made headlines when he stepped out of the film, “Manikarnika: The Queen Of Jhansi.” Kangana Ranaut alleged that Sood had backed out from the movie; as he was not ready to shoot under a female director. However, Sonu cleared that the issue was not the gender of the director, but competence. He released an official statement, saying,
Kangana is a dear friend and she will always remain one but this constant playing the woman card, the victim card and making this entire issue about male chauvinism is ridiculous. The gender of the director is not the issue. Competence is. Let’s not confuse the two. I’ve worked with Farah Khan who’s a competent woman director and Farah and I had a great professional equation and we are still best of friends. That’s all I would like to say.” Times of India
Sonu Sood owns a Porsche and an Audi Q7.
- Food: Aloo Paratha
- Actor(s): Amitabh Bachchan, Sylvester Stallone
- Film: Dabangg
- Musician: R. D. Burman
- His hobbies include playing the guitar, doing workout, and kick-boxing.
- Sood landed in Mumbai for the first time with just Rs. 5500 in his pocket. He thought that the amount would last him for a month, but it got over in just eight to ten days.
- In his initial days in Mumbai, Sonu shared a one room-kitchen apartment with six other boys in the suburbs of Mumbai.
- His first salary was Rs. 4500 a month, which he received from a private job in South Mumbai.
- Sood’s first job involved a lot of field work, so, he used to travel by train and got a monthly train pass made from Borivali to Churchgate.
- Sood earned Rs. 500 from his first modelling assignment, and he used that money to buy himself a pair of jeans.
- Sonu has worked in the films of different languages, including Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Punjabi, English, and Chinese.
- Sonu Sood was once mistaken to be the brother of the actress, Asmita Sood, due to their common surnames.
- Sonu was supposed to act in the Hindi and Telugu remake of the film, “Zanjeer,” but he couldn’t work on it because of his injury.
- Sonu disclosed in an interview that although he was very spiritual in nature, he had stopped praying to God for around 4 years after his mother died.
- He is a fitness enthusiast and visits the gym regularly.
- During the shoot of his English film, “Kung Fu Yoga,” Sood became friends with Jackie Chan.
- Sood owns a production house, “Shakti Sagar Productions.”
- Sood has featured on the covers of various magazines, including “You & I,” “Health & Nutrition,” “Just Urbane,” and “Krunch Today.”
- Reportedly, Sonu earned Rs. 500 from his first modelling assignment. He used that money to buy a pair of jeans for himself.
- Once while Sood was travelling with his friend, Ajay Dhama, his Audi Q7 caught fire on the Western Express Highway in Bandra. Luckily, the duo escaped any injuries.
- Sood has a deep faith in Lord Ganesha.
- He is an avid animal lover, and has a pet dog, Snowy.
- In 2020, Sonu actively helped migrant workers in Mumbai to reach their homes during the nationwide lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While talking about it in an interview, Sood said,
It gave me sleepless nights when I saw visuals of people walking hundreds of kilometres to reach their villages.”
- On 30 July 2020, while sharing a throwback photo of himself from a photoshoot in 1997 on Twitter, he wrote –
And I dared to become an actor.”
References [ + ]