Charanjit Singh Channi is an Indian politician who became the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab on 20 September 2021 from the Indian National Congress. At the Raj Bhavan in Chandigarh, he was sworn in as the first Dalit Sikh Chief Minister of Punjab, India.
Punjab CM Shri Charanjit Singh Channi Ji’s 1st press conference. #कांग्रेस_दे_नाल_पंजाब pic.twitter.com/NXZwXOOyPT
— Rohit Jhaliwal ( sahu ) (@RJhaliwal_inc) September 20, 2021
Charanjit Singh Channi was born on Friday, 1 March 1963 (age 58 years; as of 2021) in Village Makrona Kalan, Chamkaur Sahib, Punjab, India. His zodiac sign is Pisces. He did his school education from Khalsa Senior Secondary School, Kharar. He then pursued a BA LLB from the same University. Punjab Assembly Later, he pursued a master’s degree in political science at Panjab University, Chandigarh. The Indian Express After completing his law degree from PU, he went to Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar, Punjab to pursue an MBA degree. Later he joined Panjab University again to pursue PhD in Political Science. The Indian Express
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is S. Harsa Singh. His mother’s name is Late Ajmer Kaur. Channi lives in a joint family. He has three brothers named Manmohan Singh (retired chief engineer), Dr Manohar Singh (a medical specialist in the Punjab government), and Sukhwant Singh Sukhi (Politician). The name of one of his sisters is Surinder Kaur.
Wife & Children
Charanjit Singh Channi is married to Dr Kamaljit Kaur, and she is a doctor.
The couple has two sons named Navjit Singh (a passed out student from PEC University, and a Law student) and Rhythmjit Singh.
Charanjit Singh Channi belongs to a Ramdasia community that is enlisted in the category of scheduled caste in Punjab. The Indian Express
House No 1661, Gurdwara Road, Kharar, District Mohali, Punjab. My Neta
Charanjit Singh Channi was inclined towards politics since his teenage. In his graduation, he was chosen as the general secretary of the students’ union at Sri Guru Gobind Singh College, Chandigarh. Later, he was chosen as the General Secretary of the Punjab Youth Congress.
Charanjit Singh Channi started his political career in 2002 when he was elected as the leader of the opposition party in the 14th Punjab Vidhan Sabha. He served as the President of the Municipal Council, Kharar for two years. Then, he was appointed as the Municipal Councillor of Kharar for three years. Later, he worked as a Member of the Committee on Public Undertakings, Committee on Subordinate Legislation, Committee on Public Accounts and Privileges Committee of Punjab Vidhan Sabha. He also worked as a member of PPCC (Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee) for some time. In 2007, 2012, and 2017, Charanjit Singh Channi was elected as a Member of the Punjab Legislative Assembly from the Chamkaur Sahib constituency. In 2007, Channi won an independent seat from Chamkaur Sahib constituency against a Congress candidate and became an associate member of the Shiromani Akali Dal in the Assembly. In December 2010, Captain Amarinder Singh helped Charanjit Singh Channi to enter the Indian National Congress. The senior Congress leader CP Joshi helped Charanjit Singh Channi to make good relations with Rahul Gandhi after his return to the Indian National Congress in 2010. Charanjit Singh Channi served as an opposition leader in the Punjab Legislative Assembly from 2015 to 2016. He was elected as the Cabinet Minister of Technical Education & Industrial Traning and Employment Generation and Training, Tourism and Culture Affairs in the Punjab Government. On 20 September 2021, he became the 16th and the first Dalit Chief Minister of Punjab. He succeeded Captain Amarinder Singh as Chief Minister of Punjab. Captain Amarinder Singh resigned from the post on 18 September 2021. At his swearing-in ceremony, Sukhjinder Randhawa and OP Soni also took oath as deputy chief ministers.
On 19 September 2021, Congress in-charge Harish Rawat declared on his Twitter account that Charanjit Singh Channi was selected as the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab. He tweeted,
It gives me immense pleasure to announce that Sh. Charanjit Singh Channi has been unanimously elected as the Leader of the Congress Legislature Party of Punjab.”
After being chosen as the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab, Channi took to Twitter to pay his gratitude towards the senior leadership of the Indian National Congress. He tweeted,
Heartfelt gratitude and thanks to the top leadership for appointing me Chief Minister of Punjab…I will always work for the welfare of the people and to give new energy and momentum to the sustainable development journey of the state.”
He contested the 2022 Punjab assembly election from two seats, Chamkaur Sahib and Bhadaur, and he lost both to the Aam Aadmi Party’s Charanjit Singh and Labh Singh Ugoke respectively. NDTV
- Channi built an illegal road connecting to a park outside his house after he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister in 2017. He did this construction on the advice of his astrologer. The astrologer advised him to build a road outside his home facing the east direction. However, the road was soon demolished by the Chandigarh authorities. On the advice of his astrologer, he was once seen riding an elephant at his home. The Statesman
- Charanjit Singh Channi was heavily trolled on social media in February 2021 when his video went viral while flipping a coin between two lecturer candidates while recruiting for a single position. The opposition parties ‘BJP and Shiromani Akali Dal’ blamed him for playing with the sentiments of the unemployed youth in Punjab. Soon, Channi clarified that the toss was done with the consent of both the candidates as they were both equally eligible for the post. NDTV
- A leader of the Aam Aadmi Party Sukhpal Khaira blamed Charanjit Singh Channi in March 2018 for the illegal mining of sand in Malikpur mine in district Nawanshahr, Punjab. Later, Channi cleared that the images shown by Khaira were from a public function. Channi further claimed that his family members were also not involved in this case. NDTV
- In 2018, Charanjit Singh Channi was involved in recommending the transfer of an IAS officer only because he did not like that officer. Hindustan Times
- A case under the #MeToo Movement was reopened against Charanjit Singh Channi in May 2021 by the Punjab State Women Commission. He was accused of sending inappropriate messages to an IAS officer ‘Kavita Singh’ in 2018. Deccan Herald
- Cash: Rs 4,50,000
- Deposits in Banks: Rs 42,64,000
- NSS, Postal Savings: Rs 5,00,000
- Motor Vehicles: Rs 37,00,000
- Jewellery: Rs 42,00,000
Gross Total Value: Rs 1,31,14,000 My Neta
- Agricultural Land: Rs 9,20,00,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs 2,50,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs 1,50,00,000
Total Immovable Assets: Rs 13,20,00,000 My Neta
Net Worth (approx.)
As of 2017, Charanjit Singh Channi’s net worth was around Rs. 14.40 Crores. My Neta
- On 20 September 2021, Channi arrived at the Raj Bhavan on a motorbike as a pillion rider to take the oath as the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab. The motorbike was driven by Sunil Jakhar, the former PPCC (Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee).
- According to Charanjit Singh Channi, he grew up in poverty, and to earn a livelihood for his family, his father went to Malaysia where he amassed a huge wealth after working hard. Later, his father returned to India and started a tent house business in Kharar, Punjab, where Charanjit Singh Channi would help his father in his business as a tent boy. Later, his father contested in the local village elections and became a sarpanch and a member of Block Samiti in his village.
- Charanjit Singh Channi was a national-level handball player during his college time. He represented Panjab University thrice in handball. He was a gold medal winner in the Inter-University Sports Meet at Panjab University and also excelled in Bhangra. Apart from this, he was also an active participant in NCC, NSS, debate competitions, and other cultural activities during his academics. The Indian Express
- Charanjit Singh Channi is considered one of the highly qualified politicians in Punjab who holds multiple degrees including a Ph.D. in political science. In an interview, he revealed his love for studies. He stated,
I study for the love of education, not qualification.”
- As per Charanjit Singh Channi, it was his elder brother who inspired him to go for higher studies. Channi disclosed in an interview and said that his elder earned multiple degrees including a B.Tech and LLB while he was serving as a government official in Punjab.
- Charanjit Channi believes in astrology. According to his friends, Channi does ‘weird’ things to keep shining in politics. Once, he allowed an illegal construction of a road outside his house when he was chosen as the cabinet minister of Punjab in 2017 on the advice of his astrologer. He was once seen riding an elephant in his house’s lawn on the advice of his astrologer, and this scene went viral on social media that left many people entertained.
- Charanjit Singh Channi drives his car himself.
- On 20 September 2021, Mayawati, Bahujan Samaj Party Chief congratulated Charanjit Singh Channi on being chosen as the first Dalit Chief Minister of Punjab. She Tweeted,
I congratulate Charanjit Singh Channi on becoming Punjab CM. It would have been better if he had been appointed as CM earlier. Channi’s appointment as CM a few months ahead of Punjab assembly elections appears to be a poll gimmick. I have also come to know through media that the next Punjab assembly elections will be fought under the leadership of a non-Dalit. This means that Congress still does not fully trust the Dalits. Congress is also scared of the SAD-BSP alliance in Punjab.” The Times of India
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Channi on his Twitter account after he was being selected as the Chief Minister of Punjab.
- Rahul Gandhi also Tweeted to congratulate Channi for the new responsibility he held in Punjab.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu congratulated Charanjit Singh Channi on being selected as the first Dalit Chief Minister of Punjab.
- A few days after taking oath as the Chief Minister of Punjab, he showed his dancing skills when he did the Bhangra at an event in Kapurthala, Punjab. Soon, the video of Channi shaking a leg on stage with the folk dancers went viral on the internet.