Ranjan Bhattacharya is a businessman and a bureaucrat, famous for being the foster son-in-law of the former prime minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee. His association with A.B. Vajpayee had been in news in the past. Check out Ranjan Bhattacharya Wiki, Age, Height, Weight, Girlfriend, Wife, Caste, Religion, Family, Biography & More.
Ranjan is a businessman and a bureaucrat coming from a strong background with his roots in politics also. He was called as ‘Ranjan Da’ by his known ones. He was born into a sound family of doctors on 28 December 1959. He was born in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, India but hails from Patna, India. He is a Bengali Brahmin Hindu by caste.
Ranjan is approximately 5’ 9” tall and weighs around 70 kgs. He has black eyes and black hair.
Family, Girlfriend, & Wife
Both his father and mother were doctors. He fell in love with Namita Bhattacharya (foster daughter of Atal Bihari Vajpayee) during their college days in 1976 and he won Atal Ji’s heart. He got married to Namita in 1983 after being in a relationship for seven years.
The couple was blessed with a baby girl and named her ‘Niharika Bhattacharya‘.
He lost his parents when he was quite young so when he met Atal Ji, he became a fatherly figure to him. He started calling him ‘Baapji’ as Namita did. He was struck with grief when his foster father-in-law, Atal Bihari Vajpayee died on 16 August 2018 at the AIIMS Hospital, Delhi.
He did his schooling from St. Edward School, Shimla, St. Columbus School, Delhi, and St. Michael’s High School, Patna. Then he took admission in Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi from where he pursued his Graduation in Economics Honours in 1979. He also did a Hotel Management Diploma course from the Oberoi School of Hotel Management in 1981.
At the age of 24, he started working with Oberoi Group and became the general manager at the Oberoi Palace in Srinagar. In 1987, he left his job in Oberoi’s to become an entrepreneur. He opened his own hotel in Manali under the banner of Orchid Resorts Private Limited. In 1993, he sold his hotel to Raj Chopra (Chairman, Managing Director of Competent Automobiles).
In 1996, when Atal Ji became the Prime Minister for just 13 days, Ranjan was appointed as an OSD (Officer on Special Duty) in the PM’s Office. It became a life-changing event in his life as after this, Ranjan’s say in politics became prominent.
In 2012, the team of Arvind Kejriwal attacked Ranjan by calling him ‘Sarkari Damad’. They alleged that the connection between industrialists and politicians is the main cause of inflation (rise in prices) in India. They played an audio recording of a conversation between Ranjan and lobbyist Niira Radia.
- Cuban cigars, red wine, and long drives have always been a weakness for Ranjan.
- He told in an interview, “In the starting, Atal Ji used to forget my name every time he met me and would address me variously as Banerjee, Mukherjee, and even Bengali Babu”.
- In 1997, he started a firm that offers reservation services to mostly US brandsTalent of the US-based Carlson Hospitality Worldwide Marketing and named it Talent Marketing.
- When Atal Ji was in the tenure from the period 1999 to 2004, Ranjan was not allocated any official seat but was called as a shaker and mover in the business and political circles in Delhi. He remained in the shadows from the media and controversies and disappeared from the limelight once Atal Ji was out of power.
- Ranjan plays an important role behind the multimillion NHAI (National Highway Authority of India) contract being given to Malaysian firms.