Bhajan Lal Sharma is a well-known Indian politician and a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party. He became the 14th Chief Minister of Rajasthan on 15 December 2023. He is assisted by Diya Kumari and Prem Chand Bairwa, his deputies. Bhajan Lal Sharma represents the Sanganer constituency in the 16th Rajasthan Legislative Assembly.
Bhajan Lal Sharma was born on Friday, 15 December 1967 (age 55 years; as of 2023) in Village Atari, Nadbai, Bharatpur, Rajasthan. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. He earned his primary school education at Government School in Village Atari, Bharatpur, Rajasthan. He then received higher secondary education at the Government Secondary School in Gagwana, Rajasthan. Later, he obtained his senior secondary school education at the Government Higher Secondary School in Nadbai, Rajasthan. After completing his schooling, Bhajan Lal Sharma went to SS Jain Subodh College in Jaipur, Rajasthan, to pursue his graduation. In 1993, he obtained a Master’s degree in Arts (Political Science) at Rajasthan University. My Neta
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Kishan Swaroop Sharma, and his mother’s name is Gomati Devi.
He has a sister.
Wife & Children
In 1997, Bhajan Lal Sharma got married to Geeta Sharma.
The couple has two sons named Abhishek Sharma (entrepreneur) and Kunal Sharma (doctor).
His permanent address is Village Atari, Nadbai, Bharatpur, Rajasthan, India.
Sharma’s political journey began during his school days when he joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) through its student wing, the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. He later rose to the position of district co-convener and co-zila pramukh of ABVP in Bharatpur. At the age of 27, Bhajan Lal Sharma joined the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) and became the sarpanch of his native village, serving two consecutive terms. He then served as a Panchayat Samiti member of his village.
He then served as the BJYM district president three times under the presidency of J P Nadda in the 1990s. After serving for several years with BJYM, he was appointed as the BJP district secretary. In the 2003 Assembly election, Sharma contested for the Nadbai Assembly constituency in Bharatpur under the Rajasthan Samajik Nyay Manch (RSNM) ticket. However, he finished in fifth place, securing over 5,900 votes, which was 6.28% of the total vote share. Bhajan Lal Sharma later became the president of the BJP’s Bharatpur district unit and then the state vice-president of the party. Thereafter, he was promoted to the position of state party general secretary in charge of headquarters. Meanwhile, he was also elected as the leader of the BJP Legislature Party.
Bhajan Lal Sharma was serving as the General Secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Party, Rajasthan, for the fourth consecutive term, when he contested the Assembly election from the Sanganer constituency in Jaipur in 2023. He defeated his opponent and Indian National Congress candidate Pushpendra Bhardwaj by a margin of 48,000 votes.
He was elected as an MLA for the first time from the Sanganer constituency in Jaipur in 2023, and later on, was chosen as the 14th Chief Minister of Rajasthan by the Bharatiya Janata Party. According to reports, former Chief Minister of Rajasthan Vasundhara Raje had recommended Bhajanlal Sharma’s name during the BJP Legislature Party meeting.
Brief Detail of IPCs
- 1 charge related to Assault or criminal force to deter a public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
- 1 charge related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of an offence committed in prosecution of common object (IPC Section-149) My Neta
- Cash: Rs. 1,15,000
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 11,42,746
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 2,10,981
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 5,35,000
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 3,00,000
- In 1990, Sharma played a crucial role in the ABVP protest where thousands of students from across the country gathered in Jammu. They marched towards Srinagar to protest against the attacks on Kashmiri Pandits in the valley. He was arrested in Jammu’s Udhampur along with many other members.
- In 1992, he actively joined a protest led by Vishva Hindu Parishad and allied organizations during the Ram Janmabhoomi agitation in Ayodhya, when the Babri Masjid was demolished. He got arrested during the protest and was sent to jail.
- As a member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), Bhajan Lal Sharma holds the record for being the longest-serving General Secretary in the Rajasthan Bharatiya Janata Party ministry.
- After he was announced as the chief minister of Rajasthan in December 2023, a video from his previous campaign went viral on social media. In the video, he featured the popular ‘Singham’ music and portrayed himself as Singham (the fictional police officer Bajirao Singham). The video caught the attention of social media users after he became the 14th chief minister of Rajasthan in December 2023. Many social media users praised him and referred to him as Singham CM. Abhishek Singhvi, a Congress leader and advocate, shared Bhajan Lal’s video on one of his social media accounts and captioned,
Rajasthan’s new chief minister is too filmy! Hope he comes out of virtual world and face the realities of governing the state.”
- In a media conversation, Bhajan Lal Sharma’s cousin once mentioned that Sharma led a simple life and enjoyed cycling every day. He also mentioned that Bhajan Lal enjoyed eating sattu, a popular dish made from roasted gram flour, daily.