Prahlad Singh Patel is an Indian politician affiliated with the Bharatiya Janata Party. He is the incumbent member of parliament (Lok Sabha) from the Damoh constituency. He, a five-time Lok Sabha MP, is the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Tourism.
Prahlad Singh Patel was born on Tuesday, 28 June 1960 (age 61 years; as of 2021) in Gotegaun, Narsinghpur, Madhya Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Cancer (कर्क). He is a well-educated person holding B.Sc., LL.B., and M.A. (Philosophy) degrees to his credit. He acquired his formal education at Adarsh Vigyan Mahavidyalaya and Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Official website of the Ministry of Tourism He got associated with the BJP’s student wing, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), during his college days, and thereon climbed the political ladder to become one of the prominent leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Height (approx): 6′ 0″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Salt and pepper
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Mulam Singh Patel and his mother’s name is Yashodabai Patel.
Prahalad’s brother, Jamal Singh Patel, is also a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) who is serving as an MLA from the Narsinghpur constituency since 2013.
Wife & Children
His wife’s name is Pushplata Singh Patel. They got married on 02 Dec 1991.
They have three children: a son named Prabal Patel, and two daughters, Phalit Singh Patel (architect) and Pratigya Singh Patel. Phalit Singh Patel’s husband, Shyambir Singh, is an IAS officer of the 2018 batch.
- BJP loyalist Prahlad Singh has been associated with the party since its inception in 1980.
- In 1982, he was appointed as the district president of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha from Balaghat, Madhya Pradesh.
- From 1986 to 1990, he held the post of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha’s general secretary of Madhya Pradesh.
- In 1989, he successfully contested his first election and was elected to the 9th Lok Sabha from the Balaghat constituency.
- From 1990 to 1991, he was a member of the standing Lok Sabh parliamentary committee on the Food and Civil Supplies ministry and also a member of the consultative committee on the Ministry of Agriculture.
- In 1996, he was re-elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from the Balaghat constituency. It was his second term as a Member of the Lok Sabha. The same year, the BJP appointed him as the whip of the party in Lok Sabha. During his tenure as a Lok Sabha MP, he served as a member of the standing committee of the Urban and Rural Development ministry and a member of the consultative committee of the Ministry of Agriculture.
- In 1999, he was elected to the 13th Lok Sabha from the Balaghat constituency for the third time.
- From 1999-2000, he served as a member of various Lok Sabha parliamentary committees comprising Science and Technology, Environment and Forests, and Private Members’ Bills and Resolutions.
- In May 2003 he was given the Union Ministry of Coal.
- He served as the national president of Bharatiya Janata Mazdoor Mahasangh and Bharatiya Janata Mazdoor Morcha from 2011 to 2014.
- In 2014, he was elected as a member of parliament (Lok Sabha) from the Damoh constituency. It was his fourth term as a Lok Sabha MP.
- In May 2014, he was made a member of the Lok Sabha parliamentary committee on Public Undertakings.
- In September 2014, he was given the membership of multiple Lok Sabh parliamentary committees comprising Committee on Government Assurances, Standing Committee on Rural Development, and Consultative Committee on Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- In 2019, he was re-elected as a member of parliament (Lok Sabha) from the Damoh constituency. It was the fifth time that he was elected to the lower house of parliament. After his victory, he was given the union portfolios of the Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Tourism.
- In June 2019, Prahlad Singh Patel landed in hot water when his son, Prabal Patel, was arrested on attempt to murder (IPC 207) and kidnapping (IPC 365) charges for abducting and assaulting a group of people at Gotegaon town of Madhya Pradesh. Reportedly, gunshots were also fired by Prabal’s group during the attack that left five people injured. News 18
GK Singh, SP Narsinghpur, on clash b/w 2 groups y'day: FIR filed with 20 persons named as accused. It includes name of Prabal Patel (son of Union Min Prahlad Patel)&Monu Patel (son of Prahlad Patel's brother&BJP MLA Jalam Singh Patel),for their alleged involvement.#MadhyaPradesh pic.twitter.com/CXHFC5ns69
— ANI (@ANI) June 19, 2019
- In April 2021, when entire India was suffering from the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic and most of the Indian states were witnessing a severe shortage of oxygen, Prahlad was captured on the camera threatening to slap a man who was pleading with him for an oxygen concentrator for his COVID-19 positive mother. The incident took place on 22 April when Prahlad visited a government hospital in his constituency Damoh, and patients’ attendants surrounded him to complain about the shortage of oxygen and medicine in the hospital. In a video that went viral on social media and landed the MP in trouble, Prahlad was heard saying “Aisa bolega to do khaega.” to a man who allegedly used an objectionable word while informing him about the oxygen crisis. In response to Prahlad’s “Do khaega” remark, the man replied, “Hum khaenge ji, humari mataram to vaise hi khane ko padi hain. Batao kya karein?” “Kya tumhe koi oxygen k liye manna kar raha hai?” (Is somebody denying you oxygen?), said Prahlad. Manna kiya sir, sirf 5-minute k liye chala sir cylinder. 36 ghante se pareshan hain, hum, kahan jaayen ab sir bolo? (Yes sir, the oxygen cylinder that they gave me lasted for just five minutes. Where should I go now to find an oxygen cylinder?), said the man while breaking down. Prahlad received heavy criticism from all quarters for his “disgraceful behaviour” towards the grieving man.
F-23, Sainik Society, Shakhti Nagar, Jabalpur-482002, Madhya Pradesh
Prahlad Singh Patel’s net worth stands at Rs. 2.7 crore. He has total assets worth Rs. 3.95 crore and liabilities worth Rs. 1.24 crore to his name. Prahlad declared the information given above in his election affidavit filed with the Election Commission ahead of the 17th Lok Sabha election in 2019. My Neta
- Prahlad is the founder of Narmada Khand Seva Sansthan Masandha, a campaign intended towards conserving the Narmada river that flows through 15 districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- Prahlad runs an NGO that conducts various blood donation and eye donation camps regularly and also works towards the upliftment of unprivileged children by educating them.
- Prahlad follows a purely vegetarian diet. He is also a member of a Vegetarian Council Committee. Official website of the Ministry of Tourism
- He is a deeply religious person. In 2000, he proposed a bill in the Lok Sabha pertaining to criminalise cow slaughter in the entire country.
- While nearly 50 percent of the elected MPs declared criminal cases against them before the 2019 Lok Sabha election, Prahlad Singh Patel doesn’t have any criminal case registered against him, says his election affidavit.