Naveen Jaihind is an Indian politician, yoga trainer, and social worker. He is the former Haryana Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) president. He has led various campaigns for the party in the state, establishing himself as a pivotal figure in their political efforts.
Naveen Jaihind was born on Monday, 1 June 1981 (age 42 years; as of 2023) in Bhainsru Kalan village of Rohtak district in Haryana, India. In 2013, he received a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) in Physical Education from Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak. MyNeta Naveen appeared in the Haryana Staff Selection Commission examination to become a physical training instructor (PTI), which he managed to clear in October 2020. The Indian Express
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Naveen Jaihind belongs to a Brahmin family in Bhainsru Kalan village of Rohtak. The Tribune
His father’s name is Dharm Parkash.
Naveen Jaihind was married to Swati Maliwal, the Chairperson of the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW). The couple got divorced in 2020.
Naveen Jaihind follows Hinduism.
Naveen often advocates for the prominence of the Brahmin community. In an interview, he said that the community has faced negligence in both social and political fields. While talking about this in the interview, Naveen said,
Despite living in a state of penury, the community showed direction to the society and the history is evidence to this fact. But the social and political neglect has further pushed the people of the community in deeper crisis.” The Tribune
In 2019, he urged the people from the Brahmin community to protect themselves from the Bharatiya Janata Party-led government in Haryana. Naveen asked the community to be protective when Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar threatened Harsh Mohan Bhardwaj, a former member of the Haryana Staff Selection Commission, to cut off his neck when the latter attempted to crown him during a ‘Jan Ashirwad Yatra’ in Barwala, Haryana. While talking about this in an interview, Naveen Jaihind said,
Now, I urge my Brahmin brothers to pick up an axe against Khattar and throw him out of the power in the upcoming elections. The BJP will hit our necks, if it is voted to power again. The Brahmin leaders need to raise voice against Khattar. I want to tell the CM that pride is more important for Brahmins than the party ticket. We are living in a democratic country. We have ideological differences, but we are not enemies. Khattar’s statement shows that he considers his opponents as his enemies.” Hindustan Times
Naveen actively participated in various political campaigns while he was studying at Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak. He joined the 20-member core team led by Anna Hazare in the 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement, popularly known as Anna Andolan, following which he came in contact with Arvind Kejriwal and joined Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
Naveen started working in a close corporation with Arvind Kejriwal, especially as an RTI activist. Despite being considered one of the top contenders for the Aam Aadmi Party’s chief ministerial candidate in the 2014 Assembly elections, Naveen decided not to run for office. The Indian Express Naveen Jaihind contested the 2014 Lok Sabha elections from the Rohtak constituency on a ticket from Aam Aadmi Party, but he lost the seat to the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Deepender Singh Hooda. In 2016, Naveen was appointed as the convener of Haryana by the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). Naveen contested Lok Sabha polls on a ticket from Aam Aadmi Party in alliance with Jannayak Janta Party (JJP) from the Faridabad constituency in 2019; however, he lost the elections. In February 2020, he resigned as the Aam Aadmi Party’s Haryana convener.
- 1 charge related to Voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty (IPC Section-332)
- 1 charge related to Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property (IPC Section-420)
- 1 charge related to Forgery for purpose of cheating (IPC Section-468)
- 2 charges related to Punishment for Rioting (IPC Section-147)
- 2 charges related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object (IPC Section-149)
- 2 charges related to Danger or obstruction in public way or line of navigation (IPC Section-283)
- 2 charges related to Obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions (IPC Section-186)
- 2 charges related to Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
- 1 charge related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant (IPC Section-188)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for cheating (IPC Section-417)
- 1 charge related to Using as genuine a forged document or electronic record (IPC Section-471)
- 1 charge related to punishment of criminal conspiracy (IPC Section-120B)
Booked for Assaulting a Government Official
In December 2022, Naveen Jaihind was arrested for assaulting a government official at Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma University of Health Sciences in Rohtak, Haryana. According to sources, he forcibly entered the university along with 80-100 other people and manhandled Deputy Registrar Amit Sindhu while he was verifying the documents of Haryana candidates for a nurse selection. In an interview, Naveen claimed that the document verification process was being conducted unfairly and that he had merely raised his voice against it. The Tribune While talking about this, in the interview, Naveen said,
Have I committed any rape or murder, I have only raised my voice saying the process was not going in a fair way. Haryana has the highest unemployment rate and I raised their voice.” The Indian Express
Assets & Properties
- Cash: Rs. 10,000
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 61,023
- LIC or other insurance policies: Rs. 83,760
- Jewellery: Rs. 18,624
Note: The given estimates of movable assets are according to the year 2019. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor). MyNeta
In 2019, Naveen Jaihind’s net worth was estimated to be Rs. 1 lacs. MyNeta It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
- He also goes by the name Pandit Naveen Jaihind. Pandit Naveen Jaihind
- As a child, he was influenced by freedom fighters such as Bhagat Singh, Ashfaqulla Khan, Chandra Shekhar Azad, and Subhas Chandra Bose. To honour their legacy and to express his commitment to serve the country, he added ‘Jaihind’ to his last name. Pandit Naveen Jaihind
- Naveen had a passion for sports during his student days. He actively participated in various sports and even represented Maharshi Dayanand University nationally.
- Naveen Jaihind runs an NGO named ‘Jai Hind Morcha’ in Haryana which was established in 2009. The NGO focuses on numerous issues related to Advocacy and Research, Human Rights, Civic Issues, Disaster Management, Education and Literacy, HIV/AIDS, Right to Information, Sports, Youth Affairs, and more.
- He is often spotted smoking hookah on various occasions.
- In 2014, Naveen catapulted into the spotlight when he received a noteworthy gift from Arvind Kejriwal, a Wagon R, as a symbol of trust and support for his Lok Sabha candidacy.