Raghav Chadha is an Indian politician and chartered accountant. He is a member of the Aam Aadmi Party and is considered to be the youngest spokesperson of AAP.
Raghav Chadha was born on Friday, 11 November 1988 (age 34 years; as of 2022) in Delhi. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He did his schooling at Modern School Barakhamba Road, New Delhi. He did BCom (Bachelor of Commerce) from Sri Venkateswara College of the University of Delhi. He only did his graduation for a year, and then, he opted for correspondence to pursue Chartered Accountancy, which he did from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Delhi. After completing his graduation, he went to the London School of Economics (LSE) to pursue a few programs.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s named is Sunil Chadha.
On 13 May 2023, Raghav Chadha and actor Parineeti Chopra got engaged at Kapurthala House, Delhi.
The couple got married at The Leela Palace in Udaipur, Rajasthan, on 24 September 2023. According to sources, the wedding had ‘no gift policy.’ Moreover, the milni was limited to Rs. 11; Milni is a tradition where the bride’s relatives give gifts and cash to the groom and his family. India Today
In an interview, he talked about his relationship status and said,
I am single. I don’t have time to watch a movie, you think I’ll have time for a girl? There is only one girl who understands my schedule, and that’s my mother.
In March 2023, Raghav Chadha was spotted with Bollywood actress Parineeti Chopra in Mumbai following which speculations became rife in the media that both were dating each other; however, they didn’t confirm this. On 28 March 2023, AAP Rajya Sabha MP Sanjeev Arora took to social media to congratulate Raghav and Parineeti Chopra, saying may their “union” be blessed with an abundance of love, joy, and companionship. Hindustan Times
I extend my heartfelt congratulations to @raghav_chadha and @ParineetiChopra. May their union be blessed with an abundance of love, joy, and companionship. My best wishes!!! pic.twitter.com/3fSWVT4evR
— Sanjeev Arora (@MP_SanjeevArora) March 28, 2023
He joined the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in 2012. Soon, after joining AAP, he became a treasurer in the Party and was appointed as an advisor to the Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia in 2016.
He was assigned to assist Sisodia in the preparation of the 2016-17 budget at an honorarium of Rs. 1 per month. In 2018, he contested from the South Delhi parliamentary constituency in the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections. He lost in the elections to the BJP’s candidate, Ramesh Bidhuri. In February 2020, he contested from the Rajinder Nagar constituency in the 2020 Delhi Assembly Elections and won against BJP’s candidate, RP Singh.
Appointment as an advisor to Manish Sisodia was terminated
In April 2018, the then Union Minister of Home Affairs, Rajnath Singh, terminated his appointment as an advisor to Manish Sisodia. In a letter to the ministry, he addressed his appointment date to the tenure that he had served; returning the amount of Rs. 2.5 for the 75 days of his service, as an advisor. He added, ”
I accept my retrospective sacking from the post I held for 75 days two years ago.”
Named in Delhi liquor policy case
On 2 May 2023, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) released its second supplementary chargesheet in the Delhi liquor policy case in which it mentioned the name of Raghav Chadha. According to the ED officials, Raghav Cahdha’s name appeared in the chargesheet after former deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia’s former secretary, C Arvind, revealed that Mr. Chadha was present in a meeting held at Manish Sisodia’s residence in Delhi which was attended by Punjab Excise Commissioner Varun Roojam, Vijay Nair, an accused in the case, and other officers from the Punjab Excise Directorate. India Today
Rajya Sabha Suspension
On 11 August 2023, Raghav Chadha was suspended from Rajya Sabha following allegations of forging four MPs’ signatures on a motion concerning the Delhi Services Bill. These MPs, Sasmit Patra, S Phangnon Konyak, M Thambidurai, and Narhari Amin, claimed that Chadha added them to a House panel without their permission. The suspension motion was introduced by the Rajya Sabha’s House Leader Piyush Goyal, and it was reported to last until the Privilege Committee concluded its investigation. ThePrint Chadha, however, claimed that only the names of the MPs were proposed for the panel, and since no signatures were involved, there could be no forgery. He added that those who did not want to be part of the committee had the option to withdraw their names. Raghav Chadha said,
Whenever a controversial bill comes to the House and a member wants this bill to be discussed at length before a vote, he recommends sending it a select committee. Names of MPs are proposed for this panel. Those who do not wish to be part of the committee can withdraw their names. When there is no signature involved, how can it be forged?”
On 4 December 2023, Raghav Chadha’s suspension was revoked by the Rajya Sabha Chairman Jagdeep Dhankhar on the motion moved by the BJP MP G. V. L. Narasimha Rao. On the same day, Raghav took to social media to announce the revocation of his suspension.
My statement on the revocation of my suspension from Parliament today.
आपका बेटा आज से संसद में दोबारा आपकी सेवा में pic.twitter.com/869rRDBylj
— Raghav Chadha (@raghav_chadha) December 4, 2023
- Cricketer: Brian Lara
- Sport: Cricket
He owns Maruti Swift Dzire; 2009 (DL2CAK6202).
Assets and Properties
- Bonds & Shares: Rs. 4.74 Lakh
- Motor Vehicle: Rs. Rs. 1.32 Lakh (Maruti Swift Dzire 2009)
- Jewellery: Rs. 3 Lakh (75 gm Gold Jewellery)
Salary & Net Worth
- He likes listening to music, playing cricket and badminton, travelling, and reading.
- During his school days, he used to actively participate in extracurricular activities such as debates and skits.
- After completing his graduation, he worked as a CA with several MNCs including Deloitte and Grant Thornton. He was practising CA in London when the “India Against Corruption” (IAC) movement began to take its course in India.
- He is the face of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in all Prime Time TV shows.
- He met Arvind Kejriwal, who was planning to make a new party; at the end of the Anna Aandolan. Arvind wished Raghav to help him in the drafting of the Jan Lokpal Bill in 2012. After the end of Aandolan, he joined the Aam Aadmi Party and has been working with them since then.
- He has also worked with Ram Jethmalani during Arun Jaitley‘s defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal in 2017.
- He attended the canonization of Mother Teresa by Pope Francis at St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City on 4 September 2016.
- In 2018, he did a shoot for a Netflix drama titled “Rajma Chawal.”
- He is a cricket buff and enjoys playing cricket whenever he has time.
- Apart from cricket, he also enjoys playing badminton and has also been a state-level badminton player.
- In an interview, Raghav talked about his personal life and said,
I’m a CA, but in the last few years, I’ve put my personal work on autopilot. The time I have for my work, for my personal life, is almost negligible with the kind of work we’re doing. I still have a few friends who I hang out with, on and off. They’re obviously surprised to see me doing this. I’m the only person who’s joined politics after sacrificing a career. I had an offer from a multi-national corporate advisory company, running into six-seven figures, but I refused it.”
- On 27 March 2022, he walked the ramps alongside actor Aparshakti Khurana for designer Pawan Sachdeva at the Lakme Fashion Show in New Delhi. NDTV
- In a video that went viral in May 2023, Raghav was heard saying he underwent nose surgery before getting engaged to Parineeti Chopra, citing he wanted his nose to be looked like his father’s nose as it was looking like his mother’s. However, after getting slammed on social media, the video was later deleted from the internet. The Times of India