Amit Palekar is an Indian lawyer who turned into a politician in 2021. He is known for being chosen as the candidate of the Aam Aadmi Party for the assembly elections in Goa to be held in 2022.
Amit Palekar was born in 1976 (age 46 years; as of 2022) in Panaji, Goa.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Amit’s father’s name is not known. His mother’s name is Jyoti Palekar.
Wife & Children
Amit got married to Rasika Nair Palekar on 25 February 2007. They have a daughter Aarna.
He belongs to the OBC Bhandari community. The Hindu
- Amit follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- In October 2021, he became a member of the Aam Aadmi Party.
- In December 2021, he went against the illegal construction at an Old Goa heritage site and sat on a hunger strike. He sat on the strike for five days. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal noticed his efforts and appreciated it and said,
Amit Palekar was on an indefinite hunger strike for the past five days. He braved hot sun and the rain. When his health started to deteriorate, his doctor advised him to end his fast; however, he chose to persist.”
- In 2021, he also uncovered a job scam that was going on in the health sector in Goa.
- On 19 January 2022, he became the Aam Aadmi Party chief ministerial candidate for the assembly elections in Goa to be held in 2022. Chief Minister of India, Arvind Kejriwal, announced that the Aam Aadmi Party chief ministerial candidate for the assembly elections in Goa would be Amit Palekar. While announcing his name Kejriwal said,
Mr. Palekar is educated and beloved among all communities in the State. His commitment to society is admirable and he has been doing commendable work throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. He fought for issues pertaining to the Christian communities in Old Goa to preserve the State’s heritage… One cannot hope for a better Chief Ministerial candidate in these times and I hope Goans elect him with a handsome majority.”
- Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal tweeted about this and wrote,
Many congratulations to Shri Amit Palekar ji for being declared as AAP's CM candidate for Goa. I am sure u will work hard to fulfill the dream of every Goan and give a corruption free government to the people of Goa.
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) January 19, 2022
- After Amit got elected as the candidate of the AAP, in a press conference he talked about this and said,
We see candidates having lunch with one party and tea with some other party. Is this the kind of politics we want? Goa needs change. We need better schools and hospitals. Politicians have become rich and people have become poor. Today, we have chosen either to vote for the same candidates or vote for a changed and clean party. AAP has done it in Delhi and will repeat the same in Goa. Give us one chance.”
- Amit comes from a Bhandari community that is 35 percent of the total population in Goa.
- He is often featured in various newspapers.