Kangana Ranaut is an Indian actress, who works predominantly in Bollywood. She is one of the highest-paid actresses in the industry and is the recipient of several awards. She is addressed in the Bollywood Industry as a One Take Actor. Let’s check out some interesting facts about her.
Kangana was born on 23 March 1986 (age 37 years; as of 2023) in Bhambla, a small town in Himachal Pradesh, India. She was quite stubborn and rebellious as a child. Kangna had a keen interest in fashion right from her teenage. She often experimented with her looks and wore clothes that seemed bizarre to her neighbours.
Ranaut did her schooling at DAV School, Chandigarh with a science stream. Initially, she wanted to be a doctor on the insistence of her parents. However, a failed unit test in chemistry led her to alter her mind and despite having prepared for AIPMT, she did not turn up for the exam. According to Kangana, while attending DAV School in Chandigarh, Ranita and Bondina were her roommates in the hostel, and they were called “Charlie’s Angel.”
Her mother wanted to get her married at the age of 16 but Kangana was determined to find her space and freedom. So, she left her college midway and relocated to Delhi.
In Delhi, she joined the Elite Modelling Agency where she briefly worked as a model. Later, she joined the Asmita Theatre Group and got trained under the guidance of theatre director Arvind Gaur. Kangana participated in several plays including Girish Karnad’s Taledanda (Rakt-Kalyan) and a positive response from the audience prompted her to move to Mumbai. She enrolled herself in Asha Chandra’s drama school for a four-month acting course. After making her debut in Gangster (2006), she was honoured by her school principal ma’am Dr Sachdeva crowned her the “Pride of DAV.”
The brown-eyed actress is around 5’ 5” tall and weighs around 52 Kg. She has curly black hair.
Family & Boyfriends
Kangana was born into a well-off Rajput landlord family. Her father, Amardeep Ranaut, is a businessman and contractor and her mother, Asha Ranaut, is a school teacher.
She has an elder sister named Rangoli and a younger brother named Akshit Ranaut.
Kangana started dating Aditya Pancholi while she was still struggling. He was a married man and 20 years older than her; still, nothing stopped them from their romantic engagement. They broke up owing to the physical abuse faced by Kangana.
After parting ways with Aditya Pancholi, Ranaut soon found love in Adhyayan Suman. The lovebirds met on the sets of the film Raaz in 2009; however, their relationship didn’t last for long.
Next, she was rumoured to be dating Ajay Devgn during the shoot of Once Upon A Time In Mumbai.
After that, Kangana went into a brief relationship with a British Doctor, Nicholas Lafferty.
Later, she started dating Hrithik Roshan. Their relationship, which turned out to be one of the most talked-about relationships in Bollywood, ended with a legal battle.
Kangana made a debut in Bollywood with the romantic thriller, “Gangster.” She was just 17 while filming and described her craft as raw and immature. The film emerged as a commercial success and her role was praised by the audience.
Kangana’s next role was in Mohit Suri’s Woh Lamhe (2006), which was a semi-biographical film based on Parveen Babi’s relationship with the director Mahesh Bhatt. The film remained moderately successful at the box office.
Ranaut received praise for playing emotionally intense characters in films like Life in a Metro (2007) and Fashion (2008).
In 2009, Kangana featured in the commercially successful movie Raaz: The Mystery Continues followed by Once Upon A Time In Mumbai the next year. She played a comic role opposite R. Madhavan in the box office hit, Tanu Weds Manu.
Next, she played a series of brief glamorous roles before playing the role of a mutant opposite Hrithik Roshan in Krrish 3. Kangana went onto play a naive woman in the comedy-drama, Queen, which ranked as the most successful Hindi film featuring a female protagonist. In 2015, Kangana played a double role in the movie “Tanu Weds Manu Return”.
- While Kangana was still a struggler, She got involved with much older and already married Aditya Pancholi. Their affair ended on an ugly note after he physically assaulted the actress in an auto-rickshaw when she accused him of infidelity and manipulation. The actress later filed a police complaint against him.
- Adhyayan Suman, son of Shekhar Suman, claimed that Kangana ruined his life and badgered him emotionally. He, in his detailed interview with a leading newspaper, described how he was assaulted and abused by the actress. He also alleged that she performed some black magic on him.
- Kangana is very well known for making some bold statements. She called huge trouble for herself during a chat show by saying, “Just good friends could be friendship plus f**k buddies. Just friends in Bollywood mean f**k buddies who are little promoted.”
- In 2012, during the Blender Pride Fashion Week in Mumbai, Ranaut faced a wardrobe malfunction while walking the ramp for Gavin Miguel.
- Kangana went into a media-lead fight with the actor, Hrithik Roshan, which started off with her calling him a “silly ex” and resulted in a full-blown legal battle.
- After Sushant Singh Rajput‘s death, a spat occurred between Kangana Ranaut and Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut. The entire row initiated after Kangana termed Mumbai unsafe following Rajput’s death on 14 June 2020. Following her comment, the state’s home minister Anil Deshmukh said she had no right to stay in Mumbai. Later, Kangana accused Sanjay Raut of threatening her and remarked “why is Mumbai feeling like Pakistan-occupied- Kashmir.” This comment further escalated between the Shiv Sena and Kangana Ranaut. NDTV Amid the growing row between Kangana Ranaut and the Maharashtra government, the Centre government sanctioned her “Y-plus” security cover. The Times of India
- Following the row between the Maharashtra government and Kangana Ranaut, the BMC officials served a notice of building violations to her, and they put the notice at the gate of her office in Mumbai. The notice was served under section 354/ A of the Municipal Corporation Act, and it highlighted over a dozen alterations in the bungalow, like a “toilet being converted into office cabin” and “new toilets being constructed alongside the staircase.” The Times of India Later, the BMC started demolishing alleged illegal structures at her office on 9 September 2020; the day when she returned to Mumbai from Manali amid tight security. The actor later took to Twitter to condemn the action by the BMC. She also shared the images of her demolished office and captioned them as “Pakistan…” and “Babur and his army.”
— Kangana Ranaut (@KanganaTeam) September 9, 2020
— Kangana Ranaut (@KanganaTeam) September 9, 2020
Just before Kangana landed at the Mumbai airport, the Bombay High Court ordered a stop to the demolition work. Later, she shared a video message on her Instagram account where she took a dig at the Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray.
- In December 2020, during the farmer’s protest in Delhi, Kangana Ranaut had a war of words on Twitter with the Punjabi singer and actor Diljit Dosanjh. This Twitter battle started after Kangana shared a post on her Twitter account in which she mistakenly identified an old woman from Punjab as Bilkis Bano (the face of anti-CAA protests in Shaheen Bagh in Delhi); however, later, the woman turned out to be a Sikh woman, Mahinder Kaur. In her tweet, which she later deleted, Kangana had questioned the intention of the woman while taking the sides of the farmers.
Later, Diljit Dosanjh took to Twitter to slam Kangana for her comment on an elderly Sikh woman. He also shared a video of the elderly woman on his Twitter handle.
Respected MAHINDER KAUR JI 🙏🏾
Ah Sunn La Ni With Proof @KanganaTeam
Banda Ena V Ni Anna Hona Chaida..
Kush v Boli Turi jandi aa .. pic.twitter.com/Ie1jNGJ0J1
— DILJIT DOSANJH (@diljitdosanjh) December 2, 2020
Following this, Kangana called Diljit a ‘pet’ of filmmaker Karan Johar, which fueled the Twitter feud between the two. Later, Kanagana’s comments were roundly criticised by Diljit Dosanjh, Richa Chadda, Swara Bhaskar, and a host of Punjabi celebrities such as Mika Singh, Ammy Virk and others. Hindustan Times
- On 1 February 2021, a metropolitan magistrate court in Mumbai issued summons to her to appear on 1 March 2021 on a criminal complaint filed by Javed Akhtar. In his complaint, Mr. Akhtar alleged that Ms. Ranaut made defamatory statements about him during an interview on 19 July 2020 in which she linked Mr. Akhtar with the suicide of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. The Hindu
- On 4 May 2021, Twitter permanently suspended Kangana Ranaut’s account after she posted a series of controversial tweets over the violence in West Bengal. In one such tweet, she promoted the evil concept of “An eye for an eye.” TheHindu
Salary & Net Worth
Having a Net worth of $12 million, Kangana charges Rs. 11-12 crore for a film.
- Kangana has been the recipient of four National Film Awards, namely, Best Supporting Actress for Fashion (2008), Best Actress for Queen (2014), Best Actress for Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015), and Best Actress for two of her films Panga (2020) and Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi (2019).
- She has also been awarded four Filmfare Awards; Best Filmfare Debut for Gangster (2006), Best Supporting Actress for Fashion (2008), Best Actress for Queen (2014), and Best Actress- Critics for Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015).
- In 2021, she was conferred with Padma Shri (2020) by President Ram Nath Kovind at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
President Kovind presents Padma Shri to Ms Kangana Ranaut for Art. She is an Indian film actress and filmmaker, who is widely recognised as an actress par excellence. pic.twitter.com/xOqBAt1VoA
— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) November 8, 2021
- Sridevi tops her list of favourite actresses.
- Some of her favourite films are Children of Heaven (1997), Moonlight (2016), La La Land (2016), Mughal-e-Azam (1960), Pyaasa (1957), Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959), Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro (1983), and Blazing Saddles (1974).
- Some of her favourite filmmakers are Christopher Nolan, K. Asif, and Guru Dutt.
- Kangana loves cooking, reading, writing and doing yoga in her leisure time.
- She prefers eating Berry Burst and Dal-Chawal.
- She likes to play Basketball.
- Her favourite colour is black.
- Kangana’s favourite restaurant is KongPoush in Mumbai.
- She likes to wear Chanel No. 5 perfume.
- Though Kangana is not much into watching TV shows and films Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is her favourite film.
- Paris and Milan are her favourite travel destinations.
- She is greatly influenced by Mahatma Gandhi’s autobiography called “The story of My Experiments with Truth”.
- Kangana is a non-vegetarian turned vegetarian and was listed as “India’s Hottest Vegetarian” by PETA in 2013.
- Ranaut is a well-trained Kathak dancer.
- Kangana owns many swanky cars including BMW 7, Mercedes GLE, Audi Q3, and Mercedes Maybach S-Class. Hindustan Times
- Miss Ranaut is one of the youngest Indian actresses to have won the National Film Award at the age of 22.
- Her dream is to purchase a farmhouse in Shimla and settle thereafter she retires from work.
- Reportedly, the actress received a whopping Rs. 110 million rupees for Rangoon, which is the highest payment ever made to a Bollywood actress for a film.
- Kangana had a crush on English footballer, David Beckham.
- In the year 2005, her sister Rangoli was attacked with acid by a man, who disguised himself as a money order delivery boy.
- She resides in a 4 BHK flat in Khar, Mumbai.
- Kangana’s family disapproved of her decision to pursue acting as her career. She was thrown out of her house when she still wanted to join the Glamour World.
- Interestingly, Kangana wrote her own dialogues for the film, Queen. She even went to New York for a scriptwriting course but had to leave it midway in order to promote Queen.
- On 15 January 2020, she launched her production company, Manikarnika Films at Pali Hills in Mumbai.
- Following the suicide of actor Sushant Singh Rajput on 14 June 2020, Kangana took to social media and blamed the nepotism in Bollywood for Sushant committing a suicide. She took a jibe at the so-called privileged lobby in Bollywood and said that the outsiders were treated as outcasts by this lobby.