Kangana Ranaut is an Indian actress, who works predominantly in Bollywood. She is one of the highest-paid actresses in the industry and is the recipient of several awards. She is addressed in the Bollywood Industry as a One Take Actor. Let’s check out some interesting facts about her.
Kangana was born on 23 March 1986 (age 33 years; as in 2019) in Bhambla, a small town in Himachal Pradesh, India. She was quite stubborn and rebellious as a child. Kangna had a keen interest in fashion right from her teenage. She often experimented with her looks and wore clothes that seemed bizarre to her neighbours.
Ranaut did her schooling from DAV School, Chandigarh with science as a core subject. Initially, she wanted to be a doctor on the insistence of her parents. However, a failed unit test in chemistry led her to alter her mind and despite having prepared for AIPMT, she did not turn up for the exam. Her mother wanted to get her married at the age of 16 but Kangana was determined to find her space and freedom. So, she left her college midway and relocated to Delhi.
In Delhi, she joined the Elite Modelling Agency where she briefly worked as a model. Later, she joined the Asmita Theatre Group and got trained under the guidance of theatre director Arvind Gaur. Kangana participated in several plays including Girish Karnad’s Taledanda (Rakt-Kalyan) and a positive response from the audience prompted her to move to Mumbai. She enrolled herself in Asha Chandra’s drama school for a four-month acting course.
The brown-eyed actress is around 5’ 5” tall and weighs around 52 Kg. She has curly black hair.
Family & Boyfriends
Kangana was born into a well-off Rajput landlord family. Her father, Amardeep Ranaut, is a businessman and contractor and her mother, Asha Ranaut, is a school teacher.
She has an elder sister named Rangoli and a younger brother named Akshit Ranaut.
Kangana started dating Aditya Pancholi while she was still struggling. He was a married man and 20 years older to her; still, nothing stopped them from them romantic engagement. They broke up owing to physical abuse faced by Kangana.
After parting ways with Aditya Pancholi, Ranaut soon found love in Adhyayan Suman. The lovebirds met on the sets of film Raaz in 2009. Unfortunately, their relationship didn’t last for long.
Next, she was rumoured to be dating Ajay Devgn during the shoot of Once Upon A Time In Mumbai.
After that, Kangana went into a brief relationship with a British Doctor, Nicholas Lafferty.
Later, she started dating Hrithik Roshan. Their relationship which turned out to be one of the most talked-about relationships of the Bollywood ended with a legal battle.
Kangana made a debut in the Bollywood with the romantic thriller, “Gangster.” She was just 17 while filming and described her craft as raw and immature. The film emerged as a commercial success and her role was praised by the audience.
Kangana’s next role was in Mohit Suri’s Woh Lamhe (2006), which was a semi-biographical film based on Parveen Babi’s relationship with the director Mahesh Bhatt. The film remained moderately successful at the box office.
Ranaut received praise for playing emotionally intense characters in films like Life in a Metro (2007) and Fashion (2008).
In 2009, Kangana featured in the commercially successful movie Raaz: The Mystery Continues followed by Once Upon A Time In Mumbai the next year. She played a comic role opposite R. Madhavan in the box office hit, Tanu Weds Manu.
Next, she played a series of brief glamorous roles before playing the role of a mutant opposite Hrithik Roshan in Krrish 3. Kangana went onto play a naive woman in the comedy-drama, Queen, which ranked as the most successful Hindi film featuring a female protagonist. In 2015, Kangana played a double role in the movie “Tanu Weds Manu Return”.
- While Kangana was still a struggler, She got involved with much older and already married Aditya Pancholi. Their affair ended on an ugly note after he physically assaulted the actress in an auto-rickshaw when she accused him of infidelity and manipulation. The actress later filed a police complaint against him.
- Adhyayan Suman, son of Shekhar Suman, claimed that Kangana ruined his life and badgered him emotionally. He, in his detailed interview with a leading newspaper, described how he was assaulted and abused by the actress. He also alleged that she performed some black magic on him.
- Kangana is very well known for making some bold statements. She called huge trouble for herself during a chat show by saying, “Just good friends could be friendship plus f**k buddies. Just friends in Bollywood mean f**k buddies who are little promoted.”
- In 2012, during the Blender Pride Fashion Week in Mumbai, Ranaut faced a wardrobe malfunction while walking the ramp for Gavin Miguel.
- Kangana went into a media-lead fight with the actor, Hrithik Roshan, which started off with her calling him a “silly ex” and resulted in a full-blown legal battle.
Salary & Net Worth
Having a Net worth of $12 million, Kangana charges ₹ 11-12 crore for a film.
- Kangana has been the recipient of three National Film Awards, namely, Best Supporting Actress for Fashion (2008), Best Actress for Queen (2014), and Best Actress for Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015).
- She has also been awarded four Filmfare Awards; Best Filmfare Debut for Gangster (2006), Best Supporting Actress for Fashion (2008), Best Actress for Queen (2014), and Best Actress- Critics for Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015).
- Sridevi tops her list of favourite actresses.
- Kangana loves cooking, reading, writing and doing yoga in her leisure time.
- She prefers eating Berry Burst and Dal-Chawal.
- She likes to play Basketball.
- Her favourite colour is black.
- Kangana’s favourite restaurant is KongPoush in Mumbai.
- She likes to wear Chanel No. 5 perfume.
- She is immensely inspired by Sonam Kapoor’s fashion sense.
- Though Kangana is not much into watching TV shows and films Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is her favourite film.
- Paris and Milan are her favourite travel destinations.
- She is greatly influenced by Mahatma Gandhi’s autobiography called “The story of My Experiments with Truth”.
- Kangana is a non-vegetarian turned vegetarian and was listed as “India’s Hottest Vegetarian” by PETA in 2013.
- Ranaut is a well-trained Kathak dancer.
- Miss Ranaut is one of the youngest Indian actresses to have won the National Film Award at the age of 22.
- Her dream is to purchase a farmhouse in Shimla and settle thereafter she retires from work.
- Reportedly, the actress received a whopping Rs. 110 million rupees for Rangoon, which is the highest payment ever made to a Bollywood actress for a film.
- Kangana had a crush on English footballer, David Beckham.
- In the year 2005, her sister Rangoli was attacked with acid by a man, who disguised himself as a money order delivery boy.
- She resides in a 4 BHK flat in Khar, Mumbai.
- Kangana’s family disapproved of her decision to pursue acting as her career. She was thrown out of her house when she still wanted to join the Glamour World.
- Interestingly, Kangana wrote her own dialogues for the film, Queen. She even went to New York for a scriptwriting course but had to leave it midway in order to promote Queen.
- On 15 January 2020, she launched her production company, Manikarnika Films at Pali Hills in Mumbai.
- In September 2017, Kangana appeared on Rajat Sharma’s “Aap Ki Adalat” where she revealed a lot about her personal life and Bollywood film industry.