Diljit Singh Dosanjh is an Indian actor, singer, and writer. He shot to fame by singing the tracks “Nachh Diyan Alran Kuwariyan” and “Paggan Pochviyan Wale.” He is one of the leading stars in the Punjabi Film and Music Industry.
Diljit Dosanjh was born on 6 January 1984 (age 35 years; as in 2019) in Dosanjh Kalan, Jalandhar, Punjab. He hails from a Punjabi humble family. His father worked as a bus driver in Punjab Roadways and earned around ₹5,000 a month. He did his elementary schooling from Ludhiana’s Shri Guru Harkrishan Public School. He also attended Al Manar Public School, Ludhiana to complete his 10th standard. Diljit was inclined towards music from a very young age and started performing at gurudwaras to fulfil his singing desires.
He gave his first stage performance to engage the audience when Master Saleem reached late for one of his shows.
Height: 5’ 9”
Weight: 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements: Chest 40″, Waist 30″, Biceps 14″
Family, Caste & Wife
Diljit Dosanjh belongs to a Sikh Jatt Family. His father, Balbir Singh Dosanjh, worked as a bus driver with Punjab Roadways and his mother, Sukhwinder Kaur, is a homemaker. Diljit has a brother, Manjeet Singh. He also has one sister.
Diljit is married to Sandeep Kaur. The couple has a son.
Diljit made his singing debut in 2002 with the album “Ishq Da Uda Ada.” Next, he launched his album “Dil.” In February 2011, he made his acting debut with the film “The Lion of Punjab.” Though the film underperformed at the box office, his song “Lak 28 Kudi Da” from the film, which also featured ‘Yo Yo Honey Singh,’ was a big hit.
Diljit launched his first single “Nachdi De” featuring Miss Pooja in 2009. Thereafter, he released various super hit singles including “Patiala Peg,” “Jatt Fire Karda,” “5 Taara,” “Raat Di Gedi,” and “Jind Mahi.” In 2013, he received his singing breakthrough with the song “Proper Patola” featuring Badshah. Moreover, the song became the first Punjabi song to be featured on Vevo.
Later, he appeared in various Punjabi films like “Jatt and Juliet,” “Jatt & Juliet 2,” “Punjab 1984, “Sardaarji,” “Ambarsariya,” and “Super Singh.” All the films were a commercial success.
Dosanjh made his Bollywood acting debut with the film “Udta Punjab.” The film was a huge success and also earned him his first Filmfare. Diljit has also lent his voice for various Bollywood film tracks including “Pee Pa Pee Pa Ho Gaya” from the film ‘Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya,’ “Tung Tung Baje” from the film ‘Singh is Bling,’ “Ikk Kuddi” from the film ‘Udta Punjab,’ and “Move Your Lakk” from the film ‘Noor.’
In 2018, he featured in the film “Soorma” in which he played the role of the famous International hockey player “Sandeep Singh.”
Diljit has also hosted the TV show “Awaaz Punjab Di.” He has endorsed various brands including Coca-Cola and Flipkart Connect for Punjab.
In addition to acting and singing, he is also a philanthropist. He founded the “Saanjh Foundation” on his 30th birthday (2013), which aims to help the underprivileged children and senior citizens.
- Diljit faced criticism for his songs when some Punjabi women raised their voice against the songs of Diljit Dosanjh, Yo Yo Honey Singh, and Jazzy B. They considered the songs to be vulgar and anti-cultural.
- In December 2012, Diljit’s residence in Ludhiana was raided by a team of Income Tax Department.
- PTC Punjabi Music Award for Best Folk Pop Album for the album “The Next Level” (2010)
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Most Popular Song of the Year for the song “Lak 28 Kudi Da” (2010)
- Punjabi International Film Academy Award for Best Actor for the film “Jihne Mera Dil Luteya” (2012)
- PTC Punjabi Music Award for Best Bhangra Song of the Year & Best Pop Vocalist Male for the song “Kharku” (2013)
- PTC Punjabi Film Awards for Best Actor for the film “Jatt & Juliet 2” (2014)
- Song of the Year for Non-Film for the song “Patiala Peg” (2015)
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Most Popular Song of the Year for the song “Veervaar” (2016)
- Filmfare Award for Best Debut Actor Male for the film “Udta Punjab” (2017)
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the Most Trending Personality of the Year (2018)
Diljit’s car collection includes a Porsche Panamera, Mitsubishi Pajero, Audi Q7, BMW 5 Series, and a Mercedes Benz G63.
Diljit’s net worth is estimated to be ₹170 crore. He gets paid around ₹4 crore per film.
- Food: Sarson Ka Saag Makki Ki Roti, Pinni
View this post on Instagram
Eh Jadon Mai Chambleya Huna Na Odon Edan Di awaaz Nikaldi aa😜 Carbs ni Khane..Raat Nu roti ni Khani..Ah Ni Khana..Oh Ni Khana.. Eh Sab Gallan Maa Moore Ni Chaldian..🙈😜 Shitar V Vaarda Fer🙈 Maa De Pyar Ton Upar Dunia Te Kush Ni .. Sari Dunia Dian Khushian Maa de Pyar Ton 1000 Guna Thale aa🙈🙏🏽 Rabb Ton v Phelan Maa🙏🏽🙏🏽 Je Tuadhi Maa Khush Aa Na Tan Tusi Dunia Jit Li Pyareo..Nahi Dunia Ni Jitt Honi.. Sab Ton Phelan Maa Baki sab Baad Ch..🙏🏽 MAA EH RABB DA NAA OH DUNIA WALEYO🙏🏽 P.S – Jo Mainu Pyar karde aa PLZ Apni Maa de samne jawab ni dena kadey v.. Ghoor ta tan v has ke Hanji Kehna.. Jo Keh Ta Oh SAT BACHAN 🙏
- Actor: Salman Khan
- Singers: Gurdas Maan, Kuldeep Manak, Arijit Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan, Taylor Swift
- Fashion Brand: Tom Ford
- Diljit loves dancing in his leisure time.
- He has a bungalow in Dugri Phase II, Ludhiana.
- He was initially named “Daljit” but he changed it to “Diljit” on the recommendation of Rajinder Singh, his record producer.
- Dosanjh has a great sense of humour and holds a jovial personality.
- In 2017, it was rumoured that Diljit had purchased a Cessna 340A Jet Plane. However, the actor clarified that the jet was just called to drop him to someplace in Rajasthan for a film shoot. He told that he doesn’t own any private jet.
- Diljit is not very comfortable with the English language and prefers to speak in Punjabi. He told that he requires someone to his aid when he interacts with an English speaking person.
- Diljit told during an interview that he dislikes blunt lyrics in the songs.
- Diljit is a die-hard fan of American TV personality Kylie Jenner. He is often seen commenting on her posts on social media platforms.
- Initially, he refused to act in Soorma as he did not want to play a sports character in the film, but Sandeep Singh’s inspiring story led him to take up the role. Later, he also learnt to play hockey under the guidance of Sandeep Singh.
- Diljit has rejected various films from his favourite directors as he was asked to feature without the turban.
- Diljit considers Johnny Depp’s role “Captain Jack Sparrow” in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ as his dream role.