Yograj Singh is an Indian actor and a former cricketer. He predominantly works in Punjabi films. He is also known for his work in the Hindi films ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’ (2013) and ‘Singh is Bling’ (2015).
Yograj Singh was born on Tuesday, 25 March 1958 (age 65 years; as of 2023) in the village Kanech, district Ludhiana, Punjab, India. His zodiac sign is Aries. Yograj Singh resides in Chandigarh.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 85 kg
Hair Colour: Gray
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Yograj Singh’s father, Bhag Singh Bundhel, served as a Senior Superintendent of Police in Punjab in British India. His mother, Gurnam Kaur, was a homemaker.
Wife & Children
Yograj Singh married twice. His first marriage was with Shabnam. The couple got blessed with two sons, Yuvraj Singh and Zoravar Singh. Yuvraj Singh is a renowned Indian cricketer who is married to British actress and model Hazel Keech. Later, Yograj Singh and Shabnam got divorced.
Yograj Singh’s second marriage was with the Punjabi actress Neena Bundhel (also goes by the name Satveer Kaur). The couple got blessed with a son, Victor Yograj Singh, and a daughter, Amarjeet Kaur.
Yograj Singh follows Sikhism. He is an avid devotee of Baba Deep Singh and often visits Gurdawara Talhan Sahib, situated in Jalandhar, Punjab.
Yograj Singh played seven first-class matches in which he took 13 wickets.
One Day International (ODI)
In 1980, Yograj Singh was selected for the Australia-New Zealand tour, where he made his ODI debut against New Zealand, held in Brisbane. He played six ODIs in his cricket career and took 4 wickets in five innings that he played.
Yograj Singh made his test debut against New Zealand which was held in Wellington in 1981. He took the wicket of John Wright.
Yograj Singh made his acting debut with the Punjabi film ‘Batwara’ in 1983. He played the role of Jarnail in the film. In 2018, Yograj Singh was cast in ‘Sajjan Singh Rangroot’ in which he played the role of Zorawar.
Yograj Singh was part of the 2022 release ‘Shareek 2’ in which he played the role of Bhupinder Singh.
In 2013, Yograj Singh was cast in ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag,’ a film based on the life of Indian Olympian Milkha Singh, in which Yograj played the role of Ranveer Singh (Indian coach).
In 2015, Yograj Singh starred in the film ‘Singh is Bling,’ which was directed by Prabhu Deva. Yograj played the role of Raftaar’s father.
In 2009, Yograj Singh contested the Haryana assembly elections on a ticket of the Indian National Lok Dal. He lost to Devender Kumar Bansal by a margin of 12230 votes.
Yograj Singh Was Involved In Jessica Lal’s Murder Case
In 2001, Yograj Singh was arrested due to his involvement in the murder case of Jessica Lal, a renowned model and barmaid. Even after receiving multiple judicial summons from the Delhi High Court, Yograj Singh failed to appear in the court proceedings, for which he was taken into custody. Yograj Singh was granted bail on 24 September 2001. The Times of India
A Critic of Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Many have backstabed him and it hurts.”
Besides Dhoni, Yograj Singh blames Virat Kohli, Ravi Shastri, and the BCCI selectors for not supporting Yuvraj Singh and kicking him out of the Indian team for the 2015 world cup.
A Critic of Kapil Dev
Imprisoned for Road Accident
In 2004, Yograj Singh was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment in a case of road accident in Chandigarh. He was booked for causing multiple injuries to a man by hitting his scooter from behind. He was later fined and released on bail. The Times of India
Arrested for Family Brawl
In 2014, Yograj Singh was arrested by the Haryana Police for creating a ruckus in the late hours of the night against a parking space in Panchkula. He was booked for trespassing and criminal intimidation. He was later released on bail. The Economic Times
- In 2017, Yograj Singh won the Lifetime Achievement Award at Filmfare Awards Punjabi.
- In 2023, Yograj Singh won the Lifetime Achievement Award in Melbourne, Australia, for promoting and contributing to sports at a global level.
- Movie: ‘Maula Jatt’ (1979)
- Actor: Mustafa Qureshi
- Yograj Singh gifted a car to his son Yuvraj Singh after he won the 2000 Under-19 Cricket World Cup and was awarded the ‘Man of the Tournament Award.’
- Yograj Singh trained Arjun Tendulkar for 15 days before his Ranji Trophy match in 2022.
- Yograj Singh supported the Indian Farmers’ Protest held in 2020, and he often visited the protest site.
- During his cricket career, Yograj Singh earned the name ‘ The Dragon Singh.’
- Yograj Singh was the coach of Indian cricketers Yuvraj Singh, Taniya Bhatia, and Manan Vohra.
- Yograj Singh runs a cricket academy, ‘Yograj Singh Cricket Academy,’ at DAV College, Chandigarh.
- Yograj Singh is a fitness enthusiast and often shares pictures of him in the gym.
- Yograj Singh is a dog lover and often shares pictures of his pet on social media.
- Yograj Singh’s cricket career ended due to injury.
- Yograj Singh threw Yuvraj Singh’s skating gold medal as he wanted him to pursue cricket.
- Yograj Singh’s father was against him playing cricket.
- Yograj Singh directed a few Punjabi movies, like ‘Jatt Punjab Da’ (1992), ‘Vichhora’ (1994), and ‘Yaar Maar’ (1997).
- In 2014, Yograj Singh was diagnosed with cancer in his vocal cords, which was later cured. Hindustan Times