Akash Deep is an Indian cricketer who has played for Bengal in domestic cricket and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in IPL.
Akash Deep was born on Sunday, 15 December 1996 (age 27 years; as of 2023) in Dehri in Sasaram, Bihar, India. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. He studied at a local school in his village. He was interested in cricket since childhood and used to play in his neighbourhood with other boys; however, he never dreamt of pursuing cricket as his career.
In an interview, Akash Deep disclosed that he decided to pursue cricket as a career after watching India beat Pakistan in the final of the 2007 T20 World Cup held in South Africa. In 2010, he went to Durgapur, West Bengal to train at a cricket academy; however, he returned home due to some family problems. He later became a professional cricketer and played for India.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 38″, Waist 32″, Biceps 14″
He belongs to a middle-class family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Ramji Singh, was a school teacher who suffered a paralysis attack in 2010 and died in 2015 after suffering a stroke.
His mother’s name is Ladduma Devi. Six months after the death of his father, his elder brother also died due to an illness. He has an elder sister who lives in Delhi.
Wife & Children
He is unmarried and does not have any children.
In 2012, he played a few games in Kolkata when he visited the city for his father’s medical treatment.
Akash initially started playing cricket as a batsman and later, decided to become a bowler. By 2015, he became a pace bowler. In 2016 he moved to Delhi and later to Kolkata, where he was selected to play for United Club and Mohun Bagan Athletic Club.
He stayed in a 12 x 12 room with four people for a few years before making his debut for Bengal in the domestic tournaments. He trained under Saurashish Lahiri when he was playing for the Bengal Under-23 team. He made his debut for Bengal in all formats of the game in 2019 and went on to make a name for himself. He represents the Rest of India team in domestic BCCI tournaments.
Akash Deep played for India A in 2023.
He was selected for the Indian ODI team touring South Africa in December 2023.
Akash Deep was selected to the Indian squad for the 2022 Asian Games held in Hangzhou, China, where the Indian team won a Gold Medal.
Akash made his Test debut against England at the JSCA International Stadium Complex in Ranchi on 23 February 2024.
— JioCinema (@JioCinema) February 23, 2024
Indian Premier League (IPL)
Akash Deep was chosen in the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) squad in the second leg of the 2021 IPL season held in UAE. He was later acquired by RCB for Rs 20 lakhs during the auction for the 2022 IPL season.
He played his debut IPL match on 27 March 2022 against Punjab Kings (PBKS) and took 1 wicket for 38 runs. He later said that he idolised Virat Kohli and Josh Hazlewood and learnt a lot from them.
Akash Deep wears jersey number 11 for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in IPL.
- His bowling style is right-arm fast medium, and his batting style is right-handed. His stock delivery is inswinger. He mainly plays as a bowling allrounder.
- During his days in the age group teams in Kolkata, Akash Deep largely benefitted from the Vision2020 program, a program launched by former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly in 2014 to train teenagers to become pace bowlers. Akash formed a deadly bowling pair with Mukesh Kumar, who was also selected in the same program.
- Akash Deep initially joined Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) as a net bowler in 2021; however, during the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021, he had to leave the season midway as his elder aunt and sister-in-law passed away due to COVID-19. His mother also tested positive; however, he took care of her and nursed her back to health.
- In an interview, he said that receiving his IPL cap from Virat Kohli was the best moment of his career.
- He regularly organises camps at the AB Cricket Academy in his village in Sasaram, Bihar. He wrote on his Instagram account that he was proud that both boys and girls were learning cricket at the academy and participated in the camps. Instagram – Akash Deep
- When Akash Deep was playing club cricket in Kolkata, he was not sure about his future in cricket. He once met Indian pacer, Mohammed Shami, who inspired him to work on his mindset and fitness to progress in his career.
- He often works out in the gym to maintain his fitness.
- He said in an interview that he idolised Virat Kohli and Josh Hazlewood and learnt a lot from them.