Glenn Phillips is a New Zealand cricketer who is known for hitting big sixes in different leagues all around the world. He has played for New Zealand in all formats of the game. He hit three consecutive sixes in an IPL match against Rajasthan Royals in 2023 to help Sunrisers Hyderabad win the match.
Glenn Philips was born on Friday, 6 December 1996 (age 26 years; as of 2022) in Eastern London, Cape Town, South Africa. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. At the age of five, he moved to New Zealand along with his family. He did his schooling at Sacred Heart College, Auckland where he started playing cricket at the age of nine and played for teams of all age groups during his school days. After completing his schooling in 2014, he went on to pursue a full-time cricket career. Sacred Heart College
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Blonde
Eye Colour: Blue
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 42″, Waist 32″, Biceps 14″
He was born into a family which loved playing sports.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Roland Phillips, and his mother’s name is Pam Van Vuuren Phillips. He has a brother, Dale Phillips, who also played cricket for New Zealand till the Under-19 level, and a sister named Jessica Phillips Grobbelaar who is a law graduate.
Wife & Children
He got married to Kate Victoria on 10 February 2023. The couple does not have any children as of May 2023.
His brother-in-law’s name is Donovan Grobbelaar who played domestic cricket in New Zealand. His sister-in-law’s name is Bianca Phillips. He has a niece named Elaine Rose Phillips.
He dated Kate Victoria for two years before getting married to her in 2023.
He follows Christianity.
He played his debut List A (one-day) match on 24 January 2015 for Auckland against Central Districts in the 2014-15 Ford Trophy Tournament. He played his debut T20 match on 4 December 2016 in the 2016-17 Super Smash Tournament against Otago and scored 55 runs in 32 balls; he finished the tournament as the highest runscorer with 369 runs. He played his debut first-class match on 6 March 2017 against Canterbury in the 2016-17 Plunket Shield Tournament. He played for Otago in the 2022-23 domestic season.
GLENN MOVES TO OTAGO | After 6 years with the ACES, Glenn Phillips has decided to make the move down South.
Go well, GP.
FULL RELEASE – https://t.co/P9UcDmVkCX pic.twitter.com/6cRatYy5tG
— Auckland Cricket (@aucklandcricket) May 31, 2022
In December 2015, he was selected for the New Zealand Under-19 team and played alongside his brother, Dale Phillips, in the 2016 ICC Under-19 World Cup held in Bangladesh.
He played his debut test match on 3 January 2020 against Australia at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney, Australia and scored his maiden test half-century with 52 runs in the first innings and got out on a duck in the second innings.
He played his debut ODI match on 10 July 2022 against Ireland at Malahide Cricket Club, Dublin, Ireland and scored 38 runs. He made his maiden ODI half-century on 13 January 2023 against Pakistan at National Stadium, Karachi and scored quickfire 63 runs off 42 balls.
He played his debut T20I match on 17 February 2017 against South Africa at Eden Park, Auckland and scored 5 runs. He made his maiden T20I century on 29 November 2020 against West Indies at Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui and scored 108 runs in 51 balls at a strike rate of 211.76.
2021 & 2022 T20I World Cups
He played in all 7 matches in the 2021 T20I World Cup, and his highest score was 39 runs in the group-stage match against Namibia. In the 2022 T20I World Cup, he scored 104 runs off 64 balls in a group-stage match against Sri Lanka.
Indian Premier League (IPL)
Glenn Philips was signed by Rajasthan Royals (RR) in the middle of the 2021 IPL season in place of Jos Buttler. He played his debut IPL match on 2 October 2021 against Chennai Super Kings (CSK). In the 2022 IPL auction for the 2022 season, he was acquired by Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) for his base price of Rs 1.5 crores. On 7 May 2023, he hit 25 runs off 7 balls against Rajasthan Royals at a strike rate of 357.14 including three consecutive sixes against Kuldip Yadav; he won the Man of the Match award for his swashbuckling innings. Many fans also posted congratulatory messages on social media and applauded his batting.
Caribbean Premier League (CPL)
He played for Jamaica Tallawahs for four CPL seasons from 2017 to 2020 and for Barbados Royals in the 2021 CPL season.
He played for Welsh Fire in the inaugural season of the 100-ball tournament The Hundred.
Vitality T20 Blast
He played for Gloucestershire in the 2021 and 2022 editions of the Vitality T20 Blast.
His jersey number in the New Zealand and Welsh Fire teams is 23.
- He is a right-handed wicketkeeper-batsman, and his bowling style is right-arm off-break; he is also known for his athletic fielding.
- During a match for Marleybone Cricket Club (MCC) at Arundel ground, West Sussex, in 2016, he hit six sixes in an over and finished the match with 201 runs in 123 balls; he became the first batsman to hit 6 sixes in an over at Arundel Ground. Otago Daily Times
- He likes to do archery, hiking, cycling, diving, driving motorcycles, and surfing during his leisure time; he has participated in national archery competitions.
- He revealed during an interview that during the Covid-19 Lockdown, he did 800 press-ups (push-ups) every day in three sets of 300, 300, and 200 press-ups.
- He was selected as T20 Player of the Year for the 2022-23 season by New Zealand Cricket.
All action in 2022-23 for our @ANZAotearoa International Men's T20 Player of the year, Glenn Phillips 🔥 pic.twitter.com/FKDX7I4FCU
— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) March 23, 2023
- He has a condition known as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) due to which he often engages in physical outdoor activities. YouTube – SunrisersIPL
- His favourite cricketer was legendary New Zealand cricketer Brendon McCullum.
- He wanted to become a space shuttle pilot or pilot of Airbus 380 when he was a child; however, he later said in an interview that he hoped to become a commercial pilot in New Zealand after retiring from cricket as he would not be able to complete the flying hours and other qualifications required to become an international commercial pilot.
- He is an animal lover and often visits zoos or animal shelters near his house.
- He likes to watch WWE, and his favourite WWE superstar is John Cena.
- He holds the record for scoring the fastest T20I century (in 46 balls) for New Zealand.