Ravi Bishnoi is an Indian all-round cricketer. He was the highest wicket-taker in Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2020. He has been bought by the Kings XI Punjab for the IPL 2020.
Ravi Bishnoi was born on Tuesday, September 5, 2000 (age 22 years; as of 2022) in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He has done his primary-level schooling at Mahavir Public School, Jodhpur. He has been playing cricket since his childhood.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Ravi’s father, Mangilal Bishnoi is a school headmaster, while his mother is a homemaker.
Ravi is the youngest of his siblings. He has two sisters and a brother, Anita (sister), Rinku (sister), and Ashok Bishnoi (brother).
The journey of a middle-class town boy, from playing in the streets of Jodhpur, to representing India in South Africa for the Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2020 involved a lot of struggles and failures in its way. This journey could be deemed anything but easy. In 2013, he started off his formal cricket training in the “Spartans Cricket Academy,” which he had constructed with the help of his native friends.
During his formative cricketing time, there came many occasions when he had to face rejections. He got rejected in the Under 16 and then in the Under 19 cricket trials for Rajasthan. But the valiant youth didn’t allow the feeling of dejection from those refusals to lower his determination to accomplish his goals. Eventually, the 18-year-old Ravi got his maiden breakthrough when he was selected to play for the Rajasthan U-19 team, in the Vinoo Mankad Trophy in October 2018. On 21 February 2019, he made his T20 debut for Rajasthan in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. From there on, his career started to flourish. He entered the List-A cricket for Rajasthan in September 2019 in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. The very next month, in October 2019 he was selected in India A’s squad for the Deodhar Trophy 2019–20. Later, In December 2019, he was bought by the Kings XI Punjab in the auctions for the 2020 Indian Premier League (IPL).
— Punjab Kings (@PunjabKingsIPL) December 19, 2019
In the same month, he was selected in India’s squad for the 2020 Under-19 Cricket World Cup. Throughout the tournament, Bishnoi made his presence felt with some exceptional bowling performances.
He also went on to become the leading wicket-taker in the 2020 Under-19 Cricket World Cup; finishing with 17 wickets in 6 matches. He certainly would be one of the bowlers to keep an eye on in the forthcoming IPL 2020.
On 16 February 2022, he made his T20I debut against West Indies at Eden Gardens. On 6 October 2022, he made his ODI debut against South Africa at Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium.
On 9 February 2020, after India lost to Bangladesh in the final of the Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2020, some of the players from both teams clashed on the ground. In the wake of the ugly scuffle, ICC sanctioned five players, including Ravi Bishnoi and Akash Singh from the Indian side, for breaching the ICC code of conduct pertaining to “causing disgrace to the game.” Moreover, Ravi was also found guilty of violating another ICC rule related to the use of “speech, actions or gestures which disparage or which could provoke an aggressive reaction from a batter upon his/her dismissal.” Ravi Bishnoi was slapped with 7 demerit points by the ICC (International Cricket Council).
- Back in 2013, Ravi and his friends constructed a cricket academy under the name “Spartans Cricket Academy” in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. But, because of the lack of funds, they had to do most of the labour work by themselves. The academy is now producing great young talents.
- Ravi used a cycle to commute to his academy which was quite a distance away from his home.
- Ravi wasn’t always a spinner, he used to be a medium-fast bowler, however, he started bowling spin upon the advice of his coach Shahrukh Pathan.
- Ravi decided to skip his 12th-grade board exams in 2018, while he was busy bowling to some of the great cricket players at the nets of Rajasthan Royals Camp, in Jaipur. It was obviously a bold decision, but, it proved beneficial for the youngster as he was noticed by the cricket fraternity and his career started to take off.
- Ravi’s mother really enjoys watching cricket. They both used to watch cricket matches together.
- Ravi Bishnoi admires Shane Warne. While growing up he used to watch videos of the spin legend. While his current favourite bowlers are Ravichandran Ashwin, Yuzvendra Chahal, and Rashid Khan.