Mukesh Kumar is an Indian cricketer who became part of the Indian cricket team for the Twenty20 International (T20I) series against Sri Lanka in 2022. He is a right-hand batsman and right-arm medium bowler.
Mukesh Kumar was born on Tuesday, 12 October 1993 (age 29 years; as of 2022) in Kakarkund, Gopalganj, Bihar. His zodiac sign is Libra. He did his schooling at VM High School, Gopalganj, Bihar. He pursued a bachelor’s degree in commerce at Kamla Rai College, Gopalganj. abp LIVE
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): – Chest 38′ Waist 28′ Biceps 12′
Parents & Siblings
Mukesh’s father’s name is Kashi Nath Singh, who was a taxi driver. His father died in 2019 due to a brain haemorrhage. He has four sisters and one elder brother, Dhanset.
Mukesh got married to Divya Singh in a private ceremony in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, on 28 November 2023; the couple dated for an extended period before they decided to get married.
In 2008-2009, when he was in Bihar, an event named ‘Pratibha ki Khoj‘ was organised in the Gopalganj district of Bihar. He gave the trial and bagged 34 wickets in seven games. In 2010, he became part of the Bihar U-19 in the Associate & Affiliate Tournament hosted by the BCCI. Mukesh made his international debut on 6 January 2016 with the 2015–16 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. On 30 October 2016, he played in the 2015–16 Ranji Trophy. In 2021, he participated in the 2021-2022 Ranji Trophy and took 20 wickets in nine innings. In 2015, he played the Vijay Hazare Trophy. On 6 January 2016, he played in the 2015–16 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy and made his Twenty20 debut.
In 2022, he was selected by Delhi Capitals for Rs. 5.5 Crore in the IPL auction. His base price was Rs 20 Lakhs at the auction.
On 20 July 2023, he made his Test debut against West Indies at Queen’s Park Oval.
On 27 July 2023, he made his ODI debut against West Indies at Kensington Oval.
On 3 August 2023, he made his T20I debut against West Indies at Brian Lara Stadium.
- Mukesh’s father wanted him to join the Indian army because there was less scope in Bihar for cricket at that time. In 2012, Mukesh was in Bihar and was preparing for the Indian army, but he could not clear the exam after attempting it thrice. His father called him to Bengal to help him in his taxi business. He shifted to Bengal and used to prepare for the Indian army there. He also played tennis ball matches to keep up with his passion for cricket. In an interview, his coach said that he was preparing for the army, but he was very passionate about cricket. His coach also revealed that he was so serious about cricket that he used to travel 30 kilometres every day to the academy on his cycle.
- When he came to Bengal, he joined the Bani Niketan club where he was given Rs. 400-500 for playing tennis ball matches. His father did not support his decision, but he went against him and played cricket.
- In 2014, he gave a trial for the Cricket Association of Bengal’s Vision 2020 programme. In an interview, he shared his incident from the trial and said that when he went to the stadium, he almost failed to bowl because he took a toilet break. When he returned from the washroom, the selectors had put a cross in front of his name on the list. He requested them to give him a chance and was allowed to bowl. In the trial, he impressed the selectors and became part of the programme. After the trial, he failed the medical test as he was malnourished and was put on a proper diet. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
I was youngest of the six but we had severe financial problems. It was Rano, who spoke to then CAB secretary Sourav Ganguly, who arranged for my stay at Eden Gardens and my diet was taken care of.”
- He was in Bengal camp and practising for dream season in Bengal when his father fell ill. He used to practice during the day and spend time with him in the hospital in the evening. In 2019, his brother informed him about his father’s demise. In an interview, he talked about his father and said,
My father had a brain haemorrhage in 2019. He never liked me playing cricket. He wanted me to join the army, I even gave the CRPF exam twice. Today I just wish my father was alive. He would have been thrilled.”
- In an interview, he talked about how he would use the money he earned form the IPL auction and said,
I am from a humble background. This money will be a backup for my mother’s medical emergencies. She had a lung infection. For now, she is fine but if we ever need an immediate surgery, we will use the money.”
- In November 2023, a video of Mukesh went viral on the internet. In the video, he was seen dancing to the popular Bhojpuri song ‘Lollypop Lagelu’ at his pre-wedding ceremony. Rediff