Mahendra Singh Dhoni is an Indian Cricketer. Under the captaincy of him, India won the T20 World Cup 2007, World Cup 2011, and Champions Trophy 2013. He is the man who made India proud of winning several trophies. He is also called by names such as MSD, MS, Captain Cool, and Mahi. He is considered the best captain ever in the history of Indian Cricket.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni was born in a middle-class Rajput family on 7 July 1981 (Age: 37 years, as in 2018) in Ranchi, Jharkhand (Then in Bihar), India. He completed his schooling from DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir, Shyamali, Ranchi. For his higher education, he joined the St. Xavier College, Ranchi to pursue a bachelor degree but he could not complete his graduation because of some issues. He started learning cricket at a very young age. He played well in schools and colleges’ tournaments and became a local star.
- Height: 175 cm or 5′ 9″
- Weight: 75 Kg or 165 lbs
- Chest Size: 42 inches
- Waist Size: 32 inches
- Biceps Size: 14 inches
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste, Wife, Girlfriend
Dhoni belongs to a middle-class Rajput family from Ranchi, Jharkhand, India. His father name is Pan Singh, who is an employee at MECON. His mother name is Devki Devi. He is the youngest of three siblings in his family. He has a sister named ‘Jayanti Gupta’ and also has an elder brother who is a politician named ‘Narendra Singh Dhoni.’ His family supported him to play cricket, especially his father and sister.
Dhoni married Sakshi Singh Rawat (Sakshi Dhoni) on 4 July 2010 after dating her for a long time. Both are blessed with a daughter named ‘Ziva.’
Before dating Sakshi, Dhoni was in the relationship with Priyanka Jha who expired in 2002. Later, he dated a South Indian actress named ‘Lakshmi Rai.’
His journey to the Indian cricket team was really tough. Earlier, he was a goalkeeper in a local Football team. A cricket coach, KR Banerjee noticed him while goalkeeping and asked him to try his hand at wicketkeeping. He played several local tournaments and became a local star. Although he was playing really well for Bihar since 1998, he was not getting a chance for playing in the Indian team. He moved to West Bengal and got the post of ticket collector at Kharagpur railway station and continued his job for 3 years (2001-2003). Eventually, on 23 December 2004, he made his One-Day International debut against Bangladesh at Chittagong. The same year, he got selected for India A tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya, where he performed exceptionally well. He made his Test and T20 debut in 2005 and 2006 respectively. In 2007, he was offered captaincy of the Indian team on the recommendation of Sachin Tendulkar and since then, he took the Indian team to heights like never before. Under his captaincy, India won the T20 World Cup 2007, World Cup 2011, Champions Trophy 2013, and India became the No. 1 Test team and remained at the top for 18 months.
- Most centuries while batting at the position of No.7 in ODIs.
- Most number of sixes in the International Cricket as a captain.
- Most number of stumpings in the International Cricket.
- Highest score (183*) by a wicket-keeper batsman in ODIs.
- Most T20 International matches victories as a captain.
- Only skipper to score an ODI century while batting at No.7.
- The first Indian wicket-keeper batsman to score 4,000 Test runs.
- Highest score (224*) in Test Cricket by an Indian captain.
- Third skipper ever to have captained in more than 300 international matches, after Ricky Ponting (324) and Stephen Fleming (303).
- The only skipper to have captained in more than 50 matches in all 3 formats.
- The first Indian captain to win a Test series in New Zealand.
- The maximum number of stumpings in Twenty20 Internationals (33 stumpings in 91 matches).
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2007)
- Padma Shri (2009)
- Padma Bhushan (2018)
- MTV Youth Icon of the Year (2006)
- ICC ODI Player of the Year (2008, 2009)
- CNN-IBN Indian of the Year in Sports (2011)
- ICC Award for Spirit of Cricket (2011)
- In 2007, despite the severe water crisis in the state, 15000 liters of water was getting wasted for the maintenance of the swimming pool in Dhoni’s house. A few residents of his locality filed a plea against the Ranchi Regional Development Authority (RRDA). DNA India
- A tax evasion controversy over his Hummer H2 did the rounds, as the vehicle needed a registration charge of ₹4 lakhs in India, but, mistakenly, it was registered as a Mahindra Scorpio, the charge of registration of that vehicle which was ₹53,000. IndianExpress
- During the 2013 IPL spot-fixing, Dhoni came under the suspicion of the Supreme Court. He was in the contact with Gurunath Meiyappan, who was named in betting charge sheet. On questioning about the connection with Meiyappan, Dhoni called Gurunath Meiyappan, a “mere cricket enthusiast.” However, Meiyappan was a full-fledged team owner. Hindustan Times
- In April 2016, he resigned as the brand ambassador of Amrapali real estate group after the firm was trolled on social media by residents of an Amrapali housing project who were angry over the unfinished work. Dhoni sued Amrapali group for over Rs 150 crore dues. Economic Times
- Cricketer(s): Batsmen: Sachin Tendulkar, Adam Gilchrist
Bowlers: Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee
- Cricket Ground(s): Lord’s Cricket Ground, London, Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Melbourne
- Food(s): Chicken Butter Masala, Chicken Tikka Pizza, Kebabs, Yellow Dal, Sonpapdi, Gulab Jamun, Rasgullas
- Football Player: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Tennis Player: Rafael Nadal
- Actor(s): Amitabh Bachchan, John Abraham
- Actresses: Angelina Jolie, Deepika Padukone
- Film(s): Agneepath, Sholay
- Musician: Kishore Kumar
- Colour(s): Blue and Black
- Destination(s): Sri Lanka, Goa
Cars Collection: Open Mahindra Scorpio, Toyota Corolla, Maruti SX4, Hummer H2, Porsche 911, Land Rover Freelander, Mitsubishi Pajero SFX, GMC Sierra, Mitsubishi Out Lander, Audi Q7 SUV, Ferrari 599
Bikes Collection: Hero Karizma ZMR, Yamaha RXZ, Ducati 1098, Yamaha Thundercat, Yamaha RX, Yamaha RD 350, TVS Apache, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Kawasaki ZX14R Ninja, Confederate Hellcat X 132, Enfield Machismo, Customized TVS Dirt bike
For the 2019 IPL season, Dhoni was sold for ₹15 Crore. His net worth is around $103 million. MSN
- Despite being busy in net sessions, he secured 65% in his 10th Board exams.
- During the Talent Resource Development Wing (TRDW) match in Jamshedpur, PC Poddar (the former cricket captain of Bengal) saw great potential in Dhoni and selected him in the Bihar U19 team in the 1998/99 season. He played well and scored 176 runs in 5 matches.
- His coaches were Keshav Banerjee and Chanchal Bhattacharya.
- In 2002, he fell in love with a girl named Priyanka Jha. But, sadly, the same year, Priyanka expired in a road accident.
- India A tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya in 2004 was the turning point of his life. He got selected for the tour and he performed very well.
- His international ODI debut was not a dream debut for him; as he got run out for a duck against Bangladesh on 23 December 2004.
- He made his maiden ODI century against Pakistan in Vishakapatnam, where he smashed 148 runs off 123 balls.
- Earlier, he had long hair for two reasons; first, he is a fan of the actor, John Abraham, secondly, he used to consider it lucky.
- He and his wife Sakshi knew each other since their childhood, but in 2007, they fell in love with each other when they met in Kolkata. After dating each other for 3 years, they got married in a low-profile ceremony in 2010.
- In 2011, the Indian Territorial Army honoured him with the rank of Lt. Colonel.
- In 2012, 2013, and 2014, he was the highest taxpayer sportsperson in India.
- He is considered one of the best finishers in international cricket. He is known for finishing the match with a six. The popular one among the fans is winning 6 in the 2011 ICC World Cup final against Sri Lanka.
- Dhoni learned helicopter shot from his childhood friend Santosh Lal, who passed away in July 2013.
- In 2012, he became the richest cricketer in the world (#31 in the world) by Forbes magazine, outpacing popular sportspersons such as Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney and the World’s fastest man Usain Bolt.
- He retired from Test cricket after the Melbourne test match in December 2014 during the Australia tour, where he was just 1 test match defeat away for equaling the record of being captain of most defeated test matches in abroad.
- He owns a hotel in Ranchi titled ‘Mahi Residency.’
- He is a pet lover and has 2 pet dogs, a Labrador named Zarah and an Alsatian named Sam.
- He is a bike lover also and co-owns the ‘Mahi Racing Team India’ in Supersport World Championship.
- In 2016, he launched a fashion brand ‘Seven’ with Rhiti Group.
- In 2016, his biopic M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story was released. It was rumoured that he took ₹40 crores from the makers of his biopic.
- Watch an interesting video about Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
References [ + ]