Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the hero of Indian cricket. Under the captaincy of Dhoni, India won the T20 World Cup 2007, World Cup 2011, and Champions Trophy 2013. He is the man who made India proud with winning the several trophies. He is also called by the names such as MSD, MS, Captain Cool, and Mahi. He is the best captain ever in the in the history of Indian Cricket. Check out Mahendra Singh Dhoni, height, weight, age, wife, caste, records, family, biography and more.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the Indian cricketer and former Indian cricket team captain who usually bats on sixth down. He is a batsman and wicketkeeper. He is 37 years old cricketer who was born on 7 July 1981 at Ranchi, Jharkhand, India to a middle-class Rajput family. He completed his schooling from DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir, Shyamali, Ranchi and later joined the St. Xavier College, Ranchi to pursue a bachelor degree but he could not complete his graduation because of some issues. He started learning the cricket at a very young age when he was in school. He played well in schools and colleges’ tournaments and became a local star. Since then, he started his journey and became the most successful captain of Indian cricket.
He is the most veteran player in the Indian team who has 14 years experience of playing for the Indian team. He looks quite mature and fit on the field. His height is around 5′ 9″ inches, and he weighs approximately 80 kg. His hair is black and eyes’ colour is dark brown. Being a sportsperson, he is quite cautious towards his fitness. His chest is around 42 inches, waist– 32 inches, and biceps are 14 inches.
Family, Caste, Wife, Girlfriend
Dhoni belongs to a middle-class Rajput family from Ranchi, Jharkhand, India. His father name is Pan Singh who is an employee at MECON. His mother name is Devki Devi. He is the youngest of three siblings in his family. He has a sister named ‘Jayanti Gupta‘ and also has an elder brother who is a politician named ‘Narendra Singh Dhoni.’ His all family supported him to play cricket for the Indian team, especially his father and sister. He follows the Hinduism.
Dhoni married Sakshi Singh Rawat (Sakshi Dhoni) on 4 July 2010 after dating her for a long time. Both are blessed with a daughter who is only 3 years old (as in 2018) named ‘Ziva.’
Before dating Sakshi, Dhoni was in the relationship with Priyanka Jha who expired in 2002. Later, he dated a South Indian actress named ‘Lakshmi Rai.’
His journey to the Indian cricket team was really tough. He started playing cricket since his childhood. Earlier, he was a goalkeeper, KR Banerjee was the man who asked Dhoni for playing cricket and becoming the wicketkeeper. He played several local tournaments and became the local star. Although he was playing really well from the Bihar since 1998, he was not getting chance for playing in the Indian team. He moved to West Bengal and joined the post of ticket collector at Kharagpur railway station and continue his job for 3 years (2001-2003). Eventually, on 23 December 2004, he made his One-Day International debut against Bangladesh at Chittagong. The same year, he was got selected for India A tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya, where he performed exceptionally well. He made his Test and T20 debut in 2005 and 2006 respectively. In 2007, he was offered captaincy of the Indian team on the recommendation of Sachin Tendulkar and since then, he took the Indian team to heights like never before. Under his captaincy, India won the T20 World Cup 2007, World Cup 2011, Champions Trophy 2013, and India became the No. 1 Test team and it had remained same for 18 months.
- He made most centuries while batting at the position of No.7 in ODIs.
- He hit most 6s in International Cricket as a captain.
- He has the most number of stumpings in International Cricket.
- His 183 knock is the highest score by a wicket-keeper batsman in ODIs.
- He won most T20 International matches as a captain.
- He is the only skipper to score an ODI century while batting at No.7
- He is the first Indian wicket-keeper batsman to score 4,000 Test runs.
- His 224 knock is the highest score by an Indian captain in Tests.
- He is the third skipper ever to have captained in more than 300 international matches, after Ricky Ponting (324) and Stephen Fleming (303).
- He is the only skipper to have captained in more than 50 matches in all 3 formats.
- He is the first Indian captain to win a Test series in New Zealand.
- In July 2018, he made the record of maximum stumpings in Twenty20 Internationals (33 stumpings in 91 matches).
- Despite being busy in net sessions, he secured 65% in his 10th Board exams.
- During the Talent Resource Development Wing (TRDW) match in Jamshedpur, PC Poddar (the former cricket captain of Bengal) saw great potential in Dhoni and selected him in the Bihar U19 team in the 1998/99 season. He played well and scored 176 runs in 5 matches.
- His coaches were Keshav Banerjee and Chanchal Bhattacharya.
- In 2002, he fell in love with a girl named Priyanka Jha. But, sadly Priyanka expired in a road accident.
- India A tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya in 2004 was the turning point of his life. He was got selected for the tour and he performed exceptionally well.
- His international ODI debut was not a dream debut for him; as he got run out for a duck against Bangladesh on 23 December 2004.
- He made his maiden ODI century against arch-rival Pakistan in Vishakapatnam, where he smashed 148 runs off 123 balls.
- Earlier, he used to have long hairs for two reasons, first he is a huge fan of John Abraham, secondly, he used to consider it lucky.
- In 2006, he was voted as the MTV Youth Icon.
- In 2007, 40 residents of his locality filed a plea against Ranchi Regional Development Authority (RRDA) for wasting 15,000 liters of water in daily maintenance and swimming pool at the time when his locality was going through severe water crisis.
- He was honored with the ‘ICC ODI Player of the Year’ award for two successive years, 2008 and 2009.
- He and his wife Sakshi knew each other since their childhood, but their love ignited in winters of 2007 when they met in Kolkata. They dated each other for 3 years and got married in a low-profile ceremony in 2010.
- In 2011, he was honored with the rank of Lt Colonel by the Indian Territorial Army.
- He was the highest taxpayer sportsperson in India for three successive years, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
- He is one of the best finishers in international cricket. He finished the match with a 6 for nine times in his career. The popular one among the fans is winning 6 in the 2011 ICC World Cup final against Sri Lanka.
- Dhoni learned his signature shot (helicopter shot) from his childhood friend Santosh Lal, who passed away in July 2013.
- In 2012, he became world’s top-earning cricketer (#31 in the world) by Forbes magazine, beating popular sportspersons such as Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney and the World’s fastest man Usain Bolt.
- He announced his Test retirement after the Melbourne test match in December 2014 during the Australia tour, where he was just 1 test match defeat away for equaling the record of being captain of most defeated test matches in abroad.
- He owns a hotel in Ranchi titled ‘Mahi Residency.’
- He is a pet lover and has 2 pet dogs, a Labrador named Zarah and an Alsatian named Sam.
- He is a bike lover and is the co-owner of ‘Mahi Racing Team India’ in Supersport World Championship.
- In 2016, he launched a fashion brand ‘Seven’ with Rhiti Group.
- In 2016, his biopic M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story was released. It was rumored that he took 40 crores (INR) from the makers of his biopic.
- His net worth is $100 million (600 Crore INR).
- He is fond of bikes. He has a number of bikes including Hero Karizma ZMR, Yamaha Rxz, Yamaha Thundercat, Yamaha Rx, Ducati 1098, Yamaha Rd 350, TVS Apache, Kawasaki zx14r Ninja, Confederate Hellcat X 132, Harley Davidson Fat boy, Enfield Machismo, Customized TVS Dirtbike.
- His cars collection is huge in numbers. He has Open Mahindra Scorpio, Maruti SX4, Hummer H2, Toyota Corolla, Land Rover Freelander, GMC Sierra, Mitsubishi Pajero SFX, Mitsubishi Out Lander, Porsche 911, Audi Q7 SUV, Ferrari 599.
- His favourite celebrities are Amitabh Bachchan, John Abraham, Angelina Jolie, and Deepika Padukone.
- His favourite sportspersons are Sachin Tendulkar, Adam Gilchrist, Cristiano Ronaldo, Glenn McGrath, Rafael Nadal, and Brett Lee.
- He was involved in a tax evasion controversy over his Hummer H2, as the vehicle needed a registration charge of 4 lakhs (INR) in India, but it was mistakenly registered as a Mahindra Scorpio, the charge of registering which is 53,000 (INR).
- After the IPL betting scandal, his name was dragged over the issue of conflict of interest for acting as the Vice-President of India Cements, whose owner was N Srinivasan. Though he got a clean chit later.
- In 2016, he resigned as the brand ambassador of Amrapali real estate group after the residents from one of the Amrapali units carried a social media campaign after facing logistical issues in the society.
- He is the recipient of the ‘Padma Shri’ and the ‘Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna’ awards. On 2 April 2018, he received Indin’s 3rd highest civilian award ‘Padma Bhushan’ from President Ram Nath Kovind.
- His permanent address is Harmu Housing Colony, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India.