Renuka Singh Thakur is an Indian cricketer who plays for the Himachal Pradesh women’s cricket team. She is a right-handed batsman and bowls with her right arm with medium and fast speed. Renuka Singh Thakur is best known for taking 23 wickets of the opponent team in the 2019-20 Senior Women’s One Day League. On 7 October 2021, Renuka Singh Thakur made her T20 debut against the Australian cricket team. In 2022, she was inducted into the Indian squad for the Women’s Cricket World cup in New Zealand.
Renuka Singh Thakur was born on Thursday, 1 February 1996 (age 26 years; as of 2022) in village Parsa, District Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. Her zodiac sign is Aquarius. In 2000, Renuka Singh Thakur completed her Secondary School Education from G.S.S. School, Dharamshala, HP. Later, she did her Senior Secondary school education at JAV Senior Secondary School, Kangra, HP. She then went to Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, to pursue her graduation. Later, Renuka Singh Thakur completed her further education at Khalsa College in Amritsar (Punjab) and Government College Dharamshala. Renuka Thakur’s Facebook Account
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 50 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Kehar Singh Thakur. He died in 1999. He was an employee at the Himachal Pradesh Irrigation and Public health department in Rohru. Her mother’s name is Sunita Thakur, who is an employee at the Himachal Pradesh Irrigation and Public health department.
She has an elder brother named Vinod Thakur.
She is not married.
Renuka Singh Thakur joined the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association’s women’s residential academy in 2009 in Dharmshala. Her uncle, Bhupender Singh Thakur, was then a physical education teacher at Government College in Shimla, and he motivated her to play cricket. The Himachal Pradesh Under 16 and Under 19 teams were later represented by Renuka Singh Thakur. She was then selected by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for a women’s one-day match in 2019. Following this, she was selected for India’s national women’s team for its Australia tour. Later, she played tournaments against Bangladesh and Thailand in which she took three wickets in four matches. Thereafter, she took three wickets in a U-19 match against Karnataka while playing for Himachal Pradesh.
Renuka Singh Thakur received the opportunity to serve Indian railways in 2021 under the sports quota. Renuka made her T20 debut against Australia in August 2021. In January 2022, in the Women’s Cricket World Cup in New Zealand, Renuka Singh Thakur played for the Indian cricket team and made her Women’s One Day International (WODI) debut.
- In her leisure time, Renuka Singh Thakur likes travelling to distant places, cooking food, watching films, and playing video games.
- In 1999, Renuka Singh Thakur’s father died, and her mother, Sunita Thakur, started working in the Himachal Pradesh Irrigation and Public health department as a class IV employee in 2000. In an interview with a media house, Sunita Thakur stated that Renuka started showing interest in playing cricket when she was very young and used to play at her village ground near the Kundi Nullah in Rohru. Sunita Thakur stated,
My husband wanted both his kids to play sport and see them doing the country proud. After he died due to an illness, it was tough phase for the family. But I never stopped my son and daughter to play any sport. While I used to work at Rohru, Renuka would spend her time playing cricket with her elder brother Vinod and his friends at the village ground. Sometimes, she would go to other villages to play cricket.”
- Renuka Singh has a tattoo inked on her right arm.
- According to Renuka Singh Thakur, her father was a very big fan of cricket, and her father named her elder brother after his favourite cricketer Vinod Kambli. Renuka Singh Thakur stated,
It’s an emotional day for me and I cannot describe the feeling of being selected. My father loved cricket like anything and had named my elder brother Vinod after his favourite cricketer Vinod Kambli.”
Renuka Singh Thakur added that after the death of her father, the responsibility of her family was carried on by her mother who received a government job in the place of her father. Renuka Singh Thakur said,
Her father reportedly worked at Himanchal Pradesh Irrigation and Public Health department at Rohru before he died in 1999. After that Singh’s mother Sunita became the breadwinner for the family.”
- She has received her cricket coaching from Pawan Sen and Veena Pandey.
- According to Renuka Singh Thakur, she follows the playing style of former Indian cricketers Zaheer Khan and Harpreet Dhillon.
- Renuka Singh Thakur regularly posts her pictures and videos on various social media platforms. More than 22k people follow her Instagram account. She remains very active on her Facebook account.