Kartiki Gonsalves is an Indian filmmaker and photojournalist, who came to the limelight on 13 March 2023 after her short film The Elephant Whisperers (2022) won the Best Documentary Short Film at the 95th Academy Award.
Kartiki Selena Gonsalves was born on Sunday, 2 November 1986 (age 36 years; as of 2022) in Ooty, Nilgiris district, Tamil Nadu, India. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She completed her schooling at St. Hilda’s School & Junior College in Ooty and St Michael’s Academy. In 2004, she enrolled at Dr G R Damodaran College Of Science (Autonomous) in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, where she pursued a bachelor’s degree in science in design and visual communications in 2007. She pursued a postgraduate diploma in photography and filmmaking at Light & Life Academy in Tamil Nadu from 2007 to 2008. There, she was trained by Iqbal Mohamed in using a camera. LinkedIn
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Kartiki Gonsalves was born into a Christian family in Tamil Nadu.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Timothy Aloysius Gonsalves, is a computer engineer and the director of the Indian Institute of Technology-Mandi (IIT-Mandi). Her mother, Priscilla Tapley Gonsalves, holds a PhD in Eastern European History and is of American origin. She has a sister named Danica Gonsalves.
Kartiki Gonsalves resides at Windermere, 23 Ethiraj Road, Door 3/142, Plot 9, VGP 1st Main Road, Ooty – 643001, Tamil Nadu, India.
While talking about the beginning of her career in an interview, she said that she pursued a job in advertising after completing her formal education. Thereafter, she quit it to pursue wildlife photography. However, she quit wildlife photography and began working as a filmmaker as she did not see any future in it, especially in India. Later, she started working as a tour guide in Bengaluru to make ends meet. Talking about it, she said,
I ventured into advertising after my post-graduation. I eventually quit to pursue wildlife and social documentary photography, working as a tour guide to support myself financially. But I soon realized that photography in the area I was interested in did not have much scope In India at this time. I realized filmmaking was a tool that I could use to reach out to the world… I believe that strong imagery has the power to change minds.
In September 2008, upon completing her formal education, Kartiki Gonsalves began working with IIT Madras Foundation as a design and photography consultant. She worked there till July 2009. She worked with Fabindia Overseas Pvt Ltd in Bengaluru as a store manager from July 2009 to February 2010. Thereafter, she joined a gym in Bengaluru, where she worked as an assistant. She joined the Zela Luxury Health Clubs in Bengaluru in February 2010 as a design and photography executive/customer service executive. She worked there till November 2010. In August 2011, she joined an advertising company named Black Coffee Advertising in Bengaluru and worked there as an art director and photographer till September 2014. From August 2014 to October 2015, she worked in Bengaluru at Fisheye Creative Solutions as a senior art director.In September 2016, she was appointed as the ambassador of
Metaphor Island – Patterns for Survival from the Nilgiri Highlands and My Mollem : Goa’s Green Heart’ : Goans Fight to Save Their Forest and Livelihood.
I stand here today to speak on the sacred bond between us and our natural world. For the respect of indigenous communities. For entity towards other living beings, we share our space with. And finally for co-existence. Thank you to the academy for recognizing our film highlighting indigenous people and animals. To Netflix for believing in the power of this film. To Guneet my Producer and my entire team and finally, to my mother father and sister who are up there somewhere, you’re the centre of my universe. To my motherland India.”
Awards & Honours
- On 13 March 2023, Kartiki Gonsalves won an Oscar for her film The Elephant Whisperer, under the Best Documentary Short Film category. She shared the award with Guneet Monga.
- Kartiki Gonsalves is an Associate Fellow at the International League of Conservation Photographers (ILCP).
- Kartiki Gonsalves is a hodophile (one who likes to travel a lot), and she has travelled to many countries.
- Kartiki Gonsalves is an avid animal lover. She has a pet dog named Rusty. She also has a Belgian Malinois named Delani and a cat as well.
- Her favourite cinematographers include Emmanuel Lubezki, Terrence Malick, Louie Psihoyos, Orlando von Einsiedel, Jeff Orlowski, David Attenborough. Gabriela Cowperthwaite, and Ron Fricke.
- Kartiki Gonsalves has written wildlife and culture-related articles for well-known newspapers and magazines such as The Hindu and National Geographic. In 2020, she published an article titled The Places In-Between, which was based on a small village lying close to the Line of Control (LOC) named Turtuk.
- On 9 May 2023, Kartiki Gonsalves and Bomman and Bellie of The Elephant Whisperers fame paid a visit to M.A. Chidambaram Stadium at Chepauk in Chennai, where MS Dhoni presented them personalised jerseys.
Amazing bio profile. She has worked in so many different fields, though for short periods, and acquired varied experience. I like her ideas about indigenous people, animals, peaceful co-existence, etc. Heartiest congratulations on getting the OSCAR award. I think, she will do much more in life and rise to great heights. More accolades are awaiting you. God bless.