Cyrus Sahukar is an Indian VJ, model, and actor. He is best-known for his stand-up comedy.
Cyrus Sahukar was born on 6 August 1980 (39 years old; as in 2019) in MHOW, Indore. He did his schooling from St. Columba’s School, Delhi. He completed his graduation from Delhi University’s Delhi College of Arts and Commerce. Cyrus started acting in theatre plays when he was still in school. He was also a part of his school band. At the age of 18, Cyrus started working as a VJ and host with MTV.
- Height: 6′ 1″
- Weight: 80 kg
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Colour: Black
Cyrus Sahukar was born in a Zoroastrian Family. His father, Behram Sahukar, was a colonel in the army and his mother, Nimeran Sahukar, is a Punjabi Writer. His father is a Parsi whereas his mother is Punjabi. Cyrus has an elder sister, Preeti Philip, who is an artist. His parents separated when he was three-years-old.
Cyrus is in a relationship with Vaishali Malahara.
Cyrus Sahukar began his career at the age of 18 years as a host and VJ with MTV. However, he started acting when he was still in school. He was a part of bureaucrat Kiran Bedi‘s Literacy Mission Program, whereby plays and educational skills were organized for the inmates of the Tihar Jail. Cyrus played the character of a bird in Barry John’s play “Haroun and the Sea of Stories;” which was based on a novel by Salman Rushdie.
At the age of 15, Sahukar did his first musical show “Thank you for the music” which was directed by Stephen Marazzi. After doing the musical show, he joined Roshan Abbas and gave a start to his professional career by doing radio voice-overs and jingles. Cyrus was also a part of Abbas’ production and direction crew for “Starlight Express” and “Graffiti Postcards from School.”
Sahukar hosted his first radio show at the age of 16. The radio show was in Punjabi and titled “Radio Rampage.” When he was 18, he auditioned for MTV VJ Hunt, and won it along with Mini Mathur and Asif Seth.
In the year 2000, Cyrus was the led the show “MTV Fully Faltoo.” It was one of the first parody shows in India to spoof TV shows, movies, and ads; the most popular among which were Sholay, Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, and Indiana Jones series.
He, then, also hosted “Piddhu The Great” and “Semi Girebaal,” mimicking Navjot Singh Sidhu and Rendezvous With Simi Garewal respectively.
Cyrus Sahukar then hosted “Kickass Mornings” on MTV and “POGO All-Stars” on POGO. The show “Kickass Mornings” was a mockumentary and he portrayed almost 25 characters. Cyrus was also the host of POGO’s game show “Hole in the Wall.”
Apart from being a TV professional and host, Cyrus Sahukar has worked in Bollywood films like “Om Jai Jagdish,” “Rang De Basanti,” “Aisha,” “Delhi 6,” and “Love Breakups Zindagi.”
Cyrus Sahukar, along with Kunal Kapoor, was a part of the travel show “Great Escape with Kunal and Cyrus.” Cyrus and Kunal took a 10-day trip to the mountains and drove from Dharamsala to Spiti Valley. Cyrus said in an interview that he felt like they were in Mad Max Fury Road while shooting for the show.
In 2018, Cyrus Sahukar hosted “Elovator Pitch” which aired on MTV.
In 2019, he appeared in Amazon Prime web-series “Mind The Malhotras” alongside Mini Mathur.
Cyrus has also fronted Style Shows for MTV and Corporate Events for Infosys, ICICI Bank. HSBC, etc.
- Comedian: Chris Rock, George Carlin
- Movie: As Good As It Gets
- Food: Pot Rose Chicken
- Beverage: Whiskey
- Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
- Author: Oscar Wilde
- Singer: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Leonard Cohen, Elvis Presley, Asha Bhonsle and Kishore Kumar
- Song: “Castles In The Air” by Don McLean
- Show: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Modern Family, Family Guy
- Quote: ‘Life is not fair. But then most of us would not be where we are today.’
- Restaurant: Dakshinyan in Juhu
- Band: Nouvelle Vague, Incredible Bongo Band
- Music: Classic Oldies, Old School Rap
- Lyricist: Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Gulzar
- Holiday Destination: Turkey
- Bathroom Number: Zindagi Aa Raha Hoon Main (Mashaal, 1950)
- Cyrus Sahukar is one of the youngest people to work with MTV. He started his professional journey at the age of 8 and considers himself as someone who ‘grew up on television.’
- When he started working with Roshan Abbas, he used to get 300 INR for a voice-over.
- Had Cyrus not been in showbiz, he would have been a folk musician or a farmer.
- Interestingly, his parody show “Rendezvous With Semi Girebaal” had more viewer rating than the original show.
- He has often been quoted saying, “I love playing offbeat characters.” Of all the shows he has done, “Paromita — an attractive woman” is his favourite.
- Cyrus considers kids as his “loyal fan base.”
- He considers the 2012 film “The Master” as the most overrated film.
- Cyrus Sahukar is quite fond of watching reruns of the show “Seinfeld” and “Friends.”
- When he was a child, he loved watching the movie “The Jungle Book” (1976).
- He has often received threats for making fun of others. Once a guy chased him in a wedding with a bottle.
- He has been friends with Kunal Kapoor for more than 18 years.
- It was during the show “Great Escape with Kunal and Cyrus” that he tried paragliding for the first time.
- Sahukar has hosted nearly 350 episodes of the game show “Hole in the Wall.”
- His sister is ten years older to him.
- Cyrus Sahukar recalled that when his sister and her friends used to play, they would often leave him on the top of the cupboard so that he would not mess around.
- He even laughs at anything that is remotely funny.
- He would love to sing a duet with Billy Joel.
- His favourite book “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde was gifted to him by his mother.