Sulaiman Merchant is an Indian music director and a score composer who mainly works in Bollywood. Sulaiman, along with his brother Salim Merchant, composes music for films and music videos and together they are known as Salim-Sulaiman. The duo rose to fame after scoring the sound of the Bollywood film, “Bhoot.”
Sulaiman Merchant was born on Thursday, 21 December 1972 (age 47 years; as in 2019) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. His family has its roots in Mundra, Kutch, Gujarat.
He did his schooling from Mumbai’s St Peter’s High School and went to KC College to pursue his graduation. Being born in a family with music background, Sulaiman developed a great interest at a very young age. While in school, Sulaiman received training in Tabla from Taufiq Qureshi and Ustad Zakir Hussain. At the age of 16, he started producing music and composing for jingles, documentaries, and pop albums.
Height (approx.): 6′ 3″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Sulaiman Merchant belongs to a Muslim Family.
Parents & Siblings
Sulaiman’s father, Sadruddin Merchant was a music director. Not much is known about his mother. He has a brother, Salim Merchant, who is a singer and a music director.
Wife & Children
Sulaiman is married to Reshma Merchant. Together they have a daughter, Amayra.
Sulaiman started his career by composing music for TV advertisements, documentaries, and music albums. He received his Bollywood breakthrough in 1977 in which he composed the background score of the film, “Hameshaa.” He shot to fame by composing music for the film, “Bhoot.”
Thereafter, Sulaiman composed the music and background scores for many Bollywood films, including “Ab Tak Chhappan” (2004), “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi” (2004), “Dhoom” (2004), “Neal ‘N’ Nikki” (2005), “Kaal” (2005), “Krrish” (2006), and “Fashion” (2008).
Sulaiman, along with his brother Salim, has created the Bollywood remix of Lady Gaga’s songs “Born This Way” and “Judas.” They have worked on Enrique’s song “I’m A Freak” and have also composed music for the Hollywood film “Sold.”
- Star Screen Award for Star Screen Award for Best Background Score for the film, “Bhoot” (2003)
- Star Screen Award for Star Screen Award for Best Background Score for the film, “Dhoom” (2004)
- Zee Cine Award for Zee Cine Award for Best Background Score for the film, “Ab Tak Chhappan” (2005)
- Filmfare Award for Filmfare Award for Best Background Score for the film, “Krrish” (2007)
- FHM (magazine) Award for Best Dressed Music Composers (2007)
- Syracuse International Film Festival Award for Best Music Director for the film, “Fashion” (2008)
- Mirchi Music Award for Indie Pop Song of the Year for the song, “Cheene Re Mora Chain” (2013)
- Food: Mughlai Food
- Actress: Priyanka Chopra
- Musician(s): Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Kailash Kher, A. R. Rahman, Lady Gaga, Enrique Iglesias, Usher, Taio Cruz
- Book(s): “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand, “Not a Penny Less, Not a Penny More” by Jeffrey Archer
- His hobbies include reading, watching movies, and getting a massage.
- Out of all his compositions, Sulamain’s favourite is Ali Maula from the film, “Kurbaan.”
- Sulaiman’s actual surname was Molddina. However, he changed it to Merchant when he moved to Australia with his uncle.