Sunidhi Chauhan is a famous Indian playback singer who has sung in various languages including Hindi, English, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam. She has sung more than 2000 songs (as of 2019).
Sunidhi Chauhan was born as ‘Nidhi Chauhan’ on Sunday, 14 August 1983 (age 38 years; as of 2021) in Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Leo.
She did her schooling from Greenway Modern School, New Delhi. After completing her schooling, she left her studies to pursue her singing career. She took her formal training of Indian Classical Music from Gautam Mukherjee.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Figure Measurement (approx.): 34-30-36
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Sunidhi Chauhan belongs to a Rajput family. Her father, Dushyant Kumar Chauhan, is a theatre artist at Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra, Delhi.
Her mother is a homemaker.
She has a younger sister named Suneha Chauhan.
She got married to the director and choreographer Bobby Khan in 2002. The marriage distanced Sunidhi from her family and they disowned her. Due to some differences in their relationship, Sunidhi and Bobby got separated after one year of their marriage. Her family reconciled with her post her separation from Bobby.
During this period, she stayed with Annu Kapoor and his wife Arunita. Sunidhi Chauhan then came in relationship with Hitesh Sonik, who was her childhood friend. The duo dated each other for two years and tied the knot on 24 April 2012.
She has a son named Tegh Sonik (born on 1 January 2018).
At the age of 4, Sunidhi started performing at local gatherings and competitions.
At one such show, she was spotted by the actress Tabassum. Tabassum made her sing live at her show “Tabassum Hit Parade” and advised Sunidhi’s family to relocate to Mumbai.
When they moved to Mumbai, Tabassum introduced Sunidhi to Kalyanji Virji Shah and Anandji Virji Shah. After that, she worked in Kalyanji’s academy for a few years and became a lead singer in his “Little Wonders” troupe. She made her Bollywood debut as a singer with the song “Ladki Deewani Dekho” from the film “Shastra (1996).”
She released her first album “Aira Gaira Nathu Khaira” in the same year.
She then worked as a background vocalist for two years. She made her breakthrough with the song “Ruki Ruki Si Zindagi” from the film “Mast (1999).”
She even received 2 Filmfare nominations for the song. She has sung several hit songs like “Mehboob Mere,” “Bumbro,” “Say Shava Shava,” “Ishq Samundar,” “Crazy Kiya Re,” “Desi Girl,” “Dilliwaali Girlfriend,” and many more. She made her Marathi debut with the song “Kande Pohe” from the film “Sanai Choughade (2008).” She made her Punjabi debut with the song “Muqabla” from the film “Pind Di Kudi (2004).”
She made her Tamil debut with the song “Kundu Kundu” from the film “Dhool (2003).”
She made her Kannada debut with the song “Aeeeyy Aeeyyii” from the film “Hollywood (2003).” She made her Telugu debut as a singer with the film “Mallika (D) (1999).” She made her international singing debut with the song “Heartbeat,” alongside Enrique Iglesias. The song was included in the special Indian edition of Enrique’s album “Euphoria (2010).” She made her Pakistani debut as a singer with the song “Peehu Peehu” from the film “Pyar Hi Pyar Mein” in 2002.
She has also collaborated with the Pakistani band ‘Junoon.’
She has made several guest appearances in the movies like “Bhoot (2003),” “Hawaa Hawaai (2014),” and “Rangoon (2017).” Her first appearance was in the film “Ehsaas: The Feeling” in 2001. She acted in the short film titled “Playing Priya” in 2016.
She has also done voice-overs for the films such as “Rio (2011)” for the role of ‘Jewel’ and “Sons of Ram (2012)” for the role of ‘Sita.’ In 2006, she hosted the Radio City 91.1 FM’s Morning Show, ‘Musical-E-Azam’ as a guest Radio Jockey.
She has also worked as a model and has walked the ramp for several fashion designers.
Awards, Honours & Titles
- Received Honorary Doctorate from Rai University in 2016
- Listed on the Forbes India’s Top 5 Celeb100 Singers and Musicians in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Listed on FHM India’s World’s Sexiest Asian Women at the 28th position 2013
- RD Burman Award for New Music Talent for the song “Ruki Ruki Si Zindagi” from the film “Mast (1999)” in 2001
- Best Playback Singer Female for the song “Beedi Jalaile” from the film “Omkara” in 2007
- Best Playback Singer Female for the song “Sheila Ki Jawani” from the film “Tees Maar Khan” in 2011
Note: Apart from the awards listed above, she has received several awards and nominations.
After the revelation of Kishore Kumar‘s son Amit Kumar that he was pressured to praise contestants in the popular Indian singing reality show Indian Idol, Sunidhi Chauhan also made similar allegations against the makers of the show. The Indian Express During a media interaction, she said,
Not exactly this that everyone had to do this, but yes, we all were told (to praise). That was the basic thing. And so, I couldn’t go on. I couldn’t do what they wanted and I had to part ways. Hence, today, I am not judging any reality show.”
2B/183, Winder Mayer, Andheri West, Mumbai
She owns a Maruti Suzuki Ritz, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Pajero, and BMW X5.
She takes around Rs. 6-7 Lakhs per song. Her net worth is $ 10 million (approx.).
- Food: Chinese Cuisine
- Dessert: Ice Cream
- Singer(s): Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Sukhvindr Singh, Shakira, Mariah Carey, Beyoncé
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- Song: “Always Be My Baby” by Mariah Carey
- Colour(s): Red, Black, Yellow
- Travel Destination: Cuba
- She likes driving, dancing, and travelling.
- She is popularly known as the ‘modern version of Asha Bhosle.’
- The legendary singer, Lata Mangeshkar, attributed her as ‘Numero Uno Singer of the Generation.’
- Sunidhi’s father belongs to Uttar Pradesh but she was born and brought up in Delhi.
- She was introduced to music by her father. She credits her father for her success in her singing career as he even left his job in Delhi to make her singing career.
- Her mother had been a great influence on Sunidhi as she guided her to pursue her career in the music.
- Before her family moved to Mumbai, her father used to work at Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra, Delhi. There he played the role of Rama in Ramleela for 12 years.
- Initially, Sunidhi did not receive any training for singing. She learned to sing by listening to cassettes and CDs of the popular singers. At the age of 13, after she released her first album, she realized her limitations and decided to take formal training in classical singing from Gautam Mukherjee.
- In 1996, she won the music reality show ‘Meri Awaz Suno,’ which aired on Doordarshan TV. The judges of the show were Lata Mangeshkar and Manna Dey. Talking about her experience on the show, she says-
When I reached the mega final, Lata ji was sitting right in front of me. Manna Da, Pandit Jasraj ji, Parveen Sultana ji and Yash Chopra ji were there. Before my performance I was afraid that if I saw her, I would start crying. I sang without looking at her, kept my eyes to the ground. When I was done, I looked straight up into the audience. I was too nervous to look at the judges. When I won, Lataji stood there with a trophy. I cried. She wiped my tears and said in my ears, “Whatever you need, ask me, if you want to learn from anyone, just let me know.””
- Sonu Nigam recommended her name to the music director Sandeep Chowtala, who directed the film “Mast.” It was the same movie that gave her career’s first breakthrough.
- She met Bobby Khan (her ex-husband) for the first time while working on the album “Pehla Nasha.”
- In 2006, she sang the English song ‘Reach Out’ at the opening ceremony of the 15th Asian Games in Doha, Qatar.
- After her marriage with Hitesh Sonik, Sunidhi gained 20 kgs, because of which, she used to get breathless on stage. To avoid this problem, she decided to lose some weight and joined the gym to get in shape.
- In 2005, she recorded a single titled “Zindagi Pukarti Hai” along with sixteen other artists to raise money for the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and Tsunami.
- In 2006, she sang the Windows Vista’s song “Wow Is Now.”
- Once, she was offered a song in one of Khalid Khidwai’s films. When she visited Kailash Kher’s studio to record the song, she asked Khidwai and the director, Ranjeet Gupta, to change a few lines of the song as there were some bold political intonations in the lyrics but they refused to do it. Later, the song was assigned to Indu Sonali.
- She has judged several singing reality shows like “Indian Idol (season 5 &6),” “The Voice India,” “The Remix,” and “Dil Hai Hindustani: Season 2.”
- She has done a number of shows in various countries.
- She is an active philanthropist and makes contributions to various charities. She has even performed for various charity shows and events. She has also worked for many social causes.
- Sunidhi also gave her voice for John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ music video. The music video was created as a part of a global campaign by UNICEF to celebrate the ’25th anniversary Convention on the Rights of Child.’
- She feels that her voice suits most on the actresses Priyanka Chopra, Katrina Kaif, Kajol, Parineeti Chopra and Urmila Matondkar the best.