Sanam Puri is an Indian singer, songwriter, and music composer. He is the lead vocalist of the band ‘Sanam.’
Sanam Puri was on Thursday, 30 June 1992 (age 28 years; as in 2020) in Muscat, Oman. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He did his schooling from Indian School in Muscat and then studied in Kirori Mal College in Delhi but dropped out of the college after six months.
Height (approx.): 5’ 11”
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Not much is known about his parents.
He has an elder brother named Samar Puri who is a guitarist and a member of the band ‘Sanam.’
He is in a relationship with Asmi Shrestha, Miss Nepal 2016.
In 2003, Venky S or Venkat Subramaniyam (bass guitar) and Samar Puri who were batchmates in their school decided to form a band; Samar took Sanam as a vocalist in the band. After completing their schooling, they all moved to India for their college. During his college days, they all got involved in the college rock circuit and Sanam started participating in various singing competitions and won each one of them. In Delhi, he was also a part of the band named ‘Bandish.’ Venky met Keshav Dhanraj (drummer) through college rock circuit and together they formed a band called “The Previous Band.”
The band was active for a short while as two of its member went to Musical Institute in Los Angeles. In 2009, Sanam and his brother went to Mumbai to pursue a career in music. It was Venky who reconnected all the members of the band, and in 2010, they all participated in a national competition called “Times Music Supastars” as “SQS Project.”
Under the name of SQS Supastars/Project, the band released their first album titled “Supastars.”
In 2012, the band met Ben Thomas, Managing Director, Kurian & Co Talent Management, which had managed the career of musical artists like Sonu Nigam and Vishal-Shekhar. The band has two more studio albums, Samar Sanam (2011) and Sanam Revolution (2018), and several compilation albums, In Love with Sanam (2017), Sanam Revisited (2015), Universally Sanam (2019), and Memories Vol. 1 (2020). The band earned recognition by putting their songs on YouTube; the first one being the cover of ‘Ainvayi Ainvayi’ in October 2012.
In 2015, the band earned recognition by Youtube. Sanam Puri made his debut as a playback singer with the Bollywood song “Dhat Teri Ki” from the film “Gori Tere Pyar Mein” (2013).
The same year, the band also released their first OST “Main Hoon” for “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”
In 2014, the band changed its name to ‘Sanam’ which means ‘Love’ in Sanskrit, Urdu, Persian, and Arabic Languages. In 2014, he made his Telugu debut as a playback singer with the song “E Kadha” from the film Chandamama Kathalu.
He made his Bengali debut with the song ‘Priyotoma’ from the film Jajabor (2015). The band released their single ‘Sanam Mennu’ in 2018, which made the band Artist of the Month on MTV Beats; it was composed by Sanam Puri.
The band has many hit singles to its name, which are, Tu Yahaan, Ek Pyar Nagma, Kahi Door, Chala Jata Hoon, Fakira, and Jane De Pyar.
Awards & Achievements
- Winners of Times Music Supastars in 2010 as SQS Project
- Awarded for Best Music Content Creator- (National Category) at the Social Media Summit & Awards 2018
- Awarded “Digital Icons of the year” 2018 by Talent Track Awards
- Awarded Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Award for the Live Band 2019
- Awarded Radio City Freedom Award 2019 for Best Pop song of the year for “Itni Door”
In 2015, he recorded the song ‘Coffee Peetey’ from the film “Gabbar is Back.’ However, to his amazement, the soundtrack got released without any credits for Sanam. Reportedly, the credit for the song went to Dev Negi. Talking about it, he said, Times of India
They released my version without giving me the credit. Now only my regular listeners will know it’s me, the rest think the voice is Dev’s. It’s so unfair. I tried to reach the production house, but nobody bothered to enlighten me or correct the error”
- Food: Ramen
- Singers: Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey
- Bands: Westlife, NSync, The Beatles, Silk Route
- Travel Destinations: Maldives, Mauritius
- TV Shows: One Piece
- Movie: Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
- He likes travelling, playing video games, and cooking.
- He has the nickname ‘Salmon’ which was kept by the band member, Keshav.
- His father used to listen to Indian music and that played a huge role in influencing Sanam and his brother in Indian music.
- He also began to compose music with his brother at the age of six. Both Sanam and Samar used to compose songs for their parents whenever they wanted to give them a surprise. Their parents used to force them to sing in parties.
- He knows how to play many instruments including guitar and keyboard.
- At the age of six, he started to sing. Initially, he didn’t want to pursue music and was pushed by his mother and brother to pursue music seriously. It was when he came to Mumbai, where he finally realized his love for music.
- During his college days, he was ragged and bullied by his seniors, and the incident is unpleasurable and unforgettable for him. Talking about it, he says,
Meri bahut ragging hui thi, Kirori Mal ki Dramatic Society ke members bahut bully karte they. My seniors locked me in a room and spoke to me in a manner which I can’t even describe. They used foul language to make it more horrific. Woh sab ek emotional torture ki tarah tha. And the weirdest part of it was that my seniors apologized for what they did to me. I shared the experience me with my parents and they advised me not to take it seriously.”
- He is a Vegan.
- He has a fear of Wasps and bees.
- The band has collaborated in many programs and events including Coke Studio Season 3, Micromax Romance Anthem, Jammin, ICC Cricket World Cup Anthem 2019, and Mac Dowells No.1 Yaari Jaam.
- He doesn’t like listening to songs. According to him, as a composer and listening to songs would get him influenced.
- According to him, if not a singer, he would have been a game designer or a cook.
- He is a dog lover and owns many dogs, two of them being Choco and Yuki.
|↑1||Times of India|
Dear Sanam I am truly in love with your songs Especially the music of mere mehboob qyamat hogayi I can hear it day and night I love your expressions The music in each song I love your emotions and expressions as if they are real LOVE YOU
I really adore ” SANAM ” especially Sanam puri’s vocals. They ( the band ) are serious and dedicated to their mission of providing lilting music for the connoisseur . Sanam Puri and Jonita Gandhi’s duet of ‘ Thum hi Ho ” is an absolute masterpiece . Wishing the band and Sanam Puri long life and many many successes in the future.
I listened to the song …ye raatein ye mausam…..i just loved it……the way u sing and ur expressions…..watched it many times and still i do watch tht one…..fabulous singer …..wish you a very successful life ahead …….love you…