Aamir Khan is among the elite actors of Bollywood who have set a mark among the actors of the present era and the upcoming stars. He is a multitalented actor, filmmaker, and a philanthropist. His full name is Mohammed Aamir Hussain Khan. Also known as “Mr. Perfectionist and The Choco Boy” of the Bollywood. Aamir is widely appreciated for the concepts he chooses for his movies with a strong social message. Let’s take a dig into his personal life, family, religion, girlfriend, career, and other facts.
Aamir Khan was born on 14 March 1965 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He comes from a film industry background as his father was a film producer and his uncle was also a film-maker. As a child artist, Aamir appeared in the film, Yaadon Ki Baaraat (1973).
Freedom fighter, Abul Kalam Azad, who founded the Khilafat movement was Aamir’s great grand uncle. Thus Aamir named his younger son, Azad Rao Khan in the memory of his great grand uncle. In an interview, Aamir revealed that since his father’s majority productions were all flops, they had to face a severe financial crisis. He further added that he was always worried about being expelled from his school for not paying the fees. He also stated that they would get 30 calls a day from lenders to return their money. At the age of 16, Aamir worked as an assistant director to his friend, Aditya Bhattacharya with his film, Paranoia. Aamir was the first choice for the movies: Darr, Swades, Saajan, and Hum Aapke Hain Koun, which later went to Shah Rukh Khan, Sanjay Dutt, and Salman Khan which turned out to be blockbusters. In 2013, he was featured in the Time Magazine’s list- “100 Most Influential People in The World” and he has also been an official ambassador of UNICEF.
Aamir Khan gives fitness a great place in his daily life and never compromises on his workout sessions. He has a strongly built physique with a broad chest- 40,” slim waist- 30″, and solid biceps- 13.” He is 5’ 6” tall and weighs around 70 kg. He has Black hair and brown eyes.
Family, Caste & Wife
Aamir Khan was born into an Islamic middle-class Indian family to Late Tahir Hussain (producer) and Zeenat Hussain and belongs to Sunni sect of Muslims.
He has two younger sisters, Farhat Khan, and Nikhat Khan and has a brother, Faisal Khan.
He started dating Reena Dutta and got married to her in 1986. The couple got separated in 2002.
After living alone for 3 years, Aamir fell in love with Kiran Rao and got married to her in 2005.
Aamir has a daughter, Ira Khan and a son, Junaid Khan from his first wife and a son, Azad Rao Khan from his second wife through surrogacy. After his son, Azad, he became a spokesperson for Invitro Fertilisation.
Aamir doesn’t believe in showbiz and maintains uniformity in his birthday celebration. Each year, he cuts his birthday cake and then relishes a dinner with his family.
Moreover, he takes a resolution every year on his birthday to quit smoking but ends up breaking it.
Aamir completed his secondary education and studied in schools: J.B. Petit School, Mumbai, St. Anne’s High School, Bandra, Mumbai, and Bombay Scottish School, Mahim, Mumbai. He was interested in playing lawn tennis and also represented his school in several state-level championships. He has been the State Tennis winner for Maharashtra.
He did not continue with his higher studies after he completed his class 12th. He made his debut as a child actor in the film, Yaadon Ki Baaraat, which is considered as the first Bollywood masala film. He was just eight years old at that time.
When Aamir was 16, he worked as an assistant director to his friend, Aditya Bhattacharya in his silent experimental film, ‘Paranoia.’ To promote his film ‘Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak,’ Aamir did not have enough funds, so he along with his co-star, Raj Zutshi, took to the streets and himself pasted the posters to promote the movie.
He appeared in Indra Kumar’s film- Dil, which became his first major hit after four flops in a row in 1990. During the shoot of the film Ghulam, Aamir was performing a stunt in which Aamir was running on a railway track towards an oncoming train, he just missed the train by 1.3 seconds as he jumped off the track. Later, Aamir was awarded the Best Scene Award for this scene at the 44th Filmfare Awards, but he did not accept it.
His film, Raja Hindustani was a super blockbuster in the box office and received tremendous admiration from the audience. His kissing scene with the actress, Karisma Kapoor was noted as the longest kiss of the Bollywood. His phenomenal acting in the film, Lagaan, took the movie to the Oscars.
In the film, 3 Idiots, the role of Raju Rastogi was initially assigned to Aamir Khan, however, he showed his interest for the character of Rancho and charmed the audience with his incredible acting in the film. In 2012, he came up with an Indian television talk show, Satyamev Jayate, which was aired simultaneously on Star Plus, STAR World, and Doordarshan and completed three seasons in eight languages.
Aamir’s movie Dangal charmed the audience with his brilliant acting skills and became the first Indian movie to gross over ₹2000 crores worldwide and also the highest grossing film in China in the year 2017. Aamir has also been an official ambassador of UNICEF. Not just in India, Aamir has his fan following across the globe. As per the reports, international superstar Jackie Chan is a big fan of his work. In 2018, he was cast in Vijay Krishna Acharya’s film, Thugs of Hindostan, based on a fictional novel titled, Confessions of a Thug.
- 1989: Best Male Debut for Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak
- 1997: Best Actor for Raja Hindustani
- 2002: Best Actor for Lagaan
- 2007: Best Actor (Critics) for Rang De Basanti
- 2008: Best Director for Taare Zameen Par
- 2017: Best Actor for Dangal
- 2002: Film Lagaan was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film
BIG Star Entertainment Awards
- 2010: BIG Star – Film Actor of Decade (Male)
- 2003: Padma Shri by the Government of India
- 2009: Raj Kapoor Smriti Vishesh Gaurav Puraskar by the Government of Maharashtra
- 2010: Padma Bhushan by the Government of India
- 2017: National Treasure of India by the Government of ChinaNote: Along with these, he has many other awards, honours, and achievements to his name.
- Aamir khan faced public humiliation when his family matter came out abruptly in which his brother, Faisal Khan accused Aamir of captivating him in the house and forcefully giving him some pills saying that he is mentally unsound. The whole matter reached the court and Faizal’s guardianship was given to his father. However, his father gave the liability back to Aamir.
- Aamir had previously called Shah Rukh Khan a ‘dog’ while stating that he had named his dog after him. He afterward said that Shah Rukh is the dog of the concierge of his house. Later, he apologized to Shah Rukh and his family by visiting Shah Rukh’s home.
- In December 2015, he was again amidst a controversy when he and his wife, Kiran Rao made a public statement that they believe Indians are getting intolerant which was criticized by most people.
- There are many speculations about Aamir that he developed an illicit relationship with the famous writer Jessica Hine during the shoot of Ghulam. Jessica claimed that Aamir was the father of her son, Jaan. The Stardust magazine featured a report about Aamir being madly in love with her and they were in a live-in relationship. When Jessica got pregnant, things changed and Aamir forced her to abort the child, but she refused and gave birth to a baby boy, which Aamir never accepted. However, Jessica has also never publicly accepted it but also has never denied it.
- In 1990, He was nominated for the Best Actor award for his movie Dil, but the award went to Sunny Deol for Ghayal. Aamir has been avoiding media reporting and attending award ceremonies since then.
Aamir Khan has a net worth of ₹1302 Crore ($200 Million) and charges ₹60 crore/film.
- Aamir Khan likes to drink alcohol and smoke.
- In his childhood, Aamir was crazy about balloons and kites.
- In his leisure time, he loves listening to old music, watching movies, playing chess, tennis, and cricket.
- Indian, Moghlai, Dal, and rice are his favourite dishes.
- He admires the acting skills of actors like Amitabh Bachchan, Dilip Kumar, Daniel Day-Lewis, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Govinda. And his favourite actresses are Waheeda Rehman, Geeta Bali, Madhubala, and Sridevi.
- Aamir’s favourite film is Pyaasa.
- He loves dining at Frangipani at the Trident (Mumbai), and India Jones (Mumbai).
- Roger Federer is his favourite tennis player whereas, Sachin Tendulkar, and Sourav Ganguly are his favourite cricketers.
- His favourite destinations to visit with his family are Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani.
- Aamir loves reading books and his favourite writer is Lav Nikolayevich Tolstoy.
- His favourite song is ‘Oh Re Taal Mile‘ from the film, Anokhi Raat (1968) and he usually explains the meaning of this song to every other person he talks to.
- Before the shoot of the song, “Tere Ishq Mein Naachenge” he consumed one liter of vodka to deliver his drunk character more efficiently.
- He got his ears pierced to get into the character of Bhuvan in the film, Lagaan.
- In his blockbuster film, PK, Aamir’s character was fond of paan, and he ate approximately 10,000 paans during the shoot of the entire movie.
- When his wax statue was displayed at Madame Tussauds, Aamir got the invitation to attend the inauguration but he refused to go.
- Aamir also got some amazing videography skills as he shot the wedding ceremony of Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna in 2001.
- During the shoot of the film, 3 Idiots, Aamir suggested to get drunk and then shoot the scene. As decided Aamir along with his co-stars, Sharman Joshi, and R. Madhavan got drunk which resulted in numerous retakes till the stock of the camera got over. Here’s a glimpse of the making of that scene:
- A peculiar trait of Aamir Khan was revealed by his wife, Kiran on Koffee With Karan that Aamir hates taking a shower and has an eating disorder.
- In 2017, Aamir was first asked to gain 28kgs of weight and then lose 25 kg in the time duration of 5-6 months for his film, Dangal so that he could play older and younger versions of Mahavir Singh Phogat, and he also got personally trained by Rahul Bhatt.
- Dangal film’s director Nitesh Tiwari revealed that Aamir used to abuse a lot during his workout sessions in the gym.
- Aamir loves solving Rubik’s cube and is also an expert at it. Here’s a video where he has solved the cube in just 36 seconds while discussing a movie:
- Aamir became a Vegetarian at the age of 50.
- He owns a Mercedes Benz S600, Bentley Continental, a Rolls Royce Ghost Phantom, and a Land Rover Range Rover SUV, BMW 6 series.