Shah Rukh Khan is a famous Indian actor. His fans call him lovingly with the nicknames like SRK, King Khan, King of Romance, and Baadshah. Apart from being an actor, he is also a talented producer and entrepreneur.
Shahrukh Khan was born on 2 November 1965 (age 57 years; as of 2022) in New Delhi. When he was born, he was named Abdul Rehman by his maternal grandmother, but his father changed it to Shah Rukh. Deccan Chronicle He did his schooling at the St. Columba’s School in Delhi, where he used to play cricket as a wicket-keeper.
He completed his Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the Hansraj College, University of Delhi. He is also a post graduate in Mass Communications (Filmmaking) from the Jamia Millia Islamia University in New Delhi. He had been a talented student during his school days and even received the award ‘Sword of Honor’ in his school.
Height: 5′ 8″
Weight: 75 kg
Body Measurement: Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 14″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Shahrukh hails from a middle-class Muslim family in New Delhi.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Taj Mohammad Khan (also known as Mir Taj Mohammad Khan) (deceased), was a Pathan from Peshawar. He was a businessman and had a transport company. He was also involved in politics. Mohammad Khan was a freedom fighter in colonial India. According to Shah Rukh Khan, his father was the youngest freedom fighter in the country at the age of 15. Mohammad Khan used to admire Maulana Azad. He contested the 1957 general elections as an independent candidate from the Gurgaon constituency, but he lost the elections to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. Hindustan Times 1957 General Election – Statistical Report Shah Rukh Khan’s mother, Lateef Fatima (deceased), was a magistrate as well as a social worker. His parents had a love marriage, and their love story began in a hospital when his father donated his blood to his mother who was injured. Taj Mohammad Khan died of cancer when Shah Rukh Khan was 15 years old, and Lateef Fatima died of prolonged illness in 1990.
Shah Rukh Khan has one elder sister named Shahnaz Lalarukh. They used to live in a rental apartment in Delhi.
Wife & Children
On 25 October 1991, he was married to his college girlfriend Gauri Chibber who is now an Indian film producer and an interior designer. He has two sons- Aryan Khan, AbRam Khan and one daughter- Suhana Khan.
Shah Rukh and Gauri had a love marriage. In an interview, Gauri disclosed that their families presented numerous challenges due to their religious disparities. She also mentioned that her mother strongly opposed her marriage to Shah Rukh, causing further difficulties. Gauri said,
We were so young and then to take a decision to get married and to a person who is going to join films, and being from a different religion.”
According to Gauri, Shah Rukh had once adopted the name “Abhinav” to convince her parents that he was a Hindu. She said,
We changed his name to Abhinav so they (her parents) feel he is a Hindu boy but that was really silly and very childish.”
According to Mustaq Sheikh’s book “Shah Rukh Can,” Shah Rukh altered his name to “Jeetendra Kumar Tulli” to marry Gauri according to Hindu wedding rituals; this name was a tribute to the legendary stars Jeetendra and Rajendra Kumar, whose full name is Rajendra Kumar Tulli. Another reason behind this choice was Shah Rukh’s grandmother’s belief that he bore a striking resemblance to Jeetendra. Similarly, for their Muslim wedding ceremony, Gauri also had to change her name from Gauri to Ayesha. Zee News
Shah Rukh Khan made a small screen debut with the serial ‘Fauji’ in 1989.
Then, he appeared in several TV serials like ‘Umeed,’ ‘Wagle Ki Duniya,’ and ‘Mahan Karz.’ He also worked in an English language telefilm ‘In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones.’ His debut in the Indian film Industry was with the movie ‘Deewana’ in 1992 and, then, signed the movies like ‘Chamatkar,’ ‘Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman,’ ‘Maya Memsaab,’ ‘King Uncle,’ ‘Baazigar,’ ‘Darr,’ and also a cameo in ‘Pehla Nasha.’
In 1994, he worked in the film- ‘Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa’ on a salary of ₹25,000 only and even sold the movie tickets at the booking window of a Mumbai’s theatre. In 1995, his film “Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge” proved a blockbuster in theatres all over the country.
Shah Rukh Khan played a dual role in an action thriller film titled ‘Jawan’ in 2023. The first day collection of the film was estimated to be Rs. 129.6 crores which was the biggest opening day in the history of Indian cinema. Hindustan Times
- In 2001, he had to pay a fine of ₹12,627 on the allegation of not paying the license fee, and illegal use of a plot of land, which was consigned to his mother on an annual license fee.
- In 2008, Shahrukh and Indian film actor Salman Khan had an argumentation and fight at Katrina Kaif’s birthday party.
- In 2012, he again became a controversial figure by slapping Shirish Kunder (Farah Khan’s husband) in a party.
- He was criticized for mistreating a security guard during an IPL match at Wankhede stadium in Mumbai and was also barred to enter the stadium.
- In 2016, he had to face the allegations of the officials of flouting heritage rules for building a ramp outside his bungalow, which was later demolished by the BMC officials.
- After arriving from Dubai at around 12:30 a.m. on 12 November 2022, the Customs Department detained him for several hours at Mumbai International Airport because of some luxury watches he was carrying. Outlook A few hours later, Shah Rukh Khan was allowed to go home with his manager Pooja Dadlani, but his bodyguard Ravi Singh was detained along with some of his belongings. Customs officials found some luxury watches, including empty covers of luxury watches, in the actor’s luggage for which customs duty had not been paid, and his bodyguard was let go after the customs duty was paid. India Today
- After an IAS aspirant named Priyanka Dixit filed a complaint against Shah Rukh Khan and a Byju staffer for alleged “fraudulent behaviour” and “unfair trade practice,” the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission of Indore issued an order against them. Aspiring to become an Indian Administrative Service officer, Priyanka attended a Byju coaching center. As part of the commission’s order, they must refund Rs 1.08 lakh in fees deposited by complainant Priyanka Dixit in 2021, along with a 12 percent annual interest rate. In addition, the commission ordered them to pay her Rs 5,000 for litigation costs and Rs 50,000 for financial and mental suffering. The commission, in its order, said that the Byju manager and Mr. Khan must pay the amount to Dixit “jointly or severally.” Dixit says she joined Byju’s after she was influenced by an advertisement of the multinational educational technology company that featured Mr. Khan. The Indian Express
Awards & Honours
- UNESCO’s Pyramide con Marni award in 2011 for his support in children’s education
- World Economic Forum’s Crystal Award in 2018 for his leadership in championing women’s and children rights
- Honorary Doctorate from University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Padma Shri by Government of India
- Goodwill Ambassador by the Government of South Korea
- Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by Government of France
- Légion d’honneur by Government Of France
- Global Icon of Cinema and Cultural Narrative award at the 41st edition of the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) 2022 at Expo Centre in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Shah Rukh Khan won the 2023 TIME100 poll, leaving behind stars and noteworthy figures like actor Michelle Yeoh, athlete Serena Williams, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg, and Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. Readers voted for the individuals they felt deserved recognition on TIME’s annual list of the most influential people. Time
- He was listed among the world’s 100 most influential people of 2023 by Time magazine. India Today
- Best Debut for the film Deewana in 1993
- Best Actor for the film Baazigar in 1994
- Critics Award for Best Actor for the film Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa in 1995
- Best Villian for the film Anjaam in 1995
- Best Actor for the film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge in 1996
- Best Actor for the film Dil To Pagal Hai in 1998
- Best Actor for the film Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in 1999
- Critics Award for Best Actor for the film Mohabbatein in 2001
- Special Award Swiss Consulate Trophy in 2002
- Best Actor for the film Devdas in 2003
- Power Award in 2004
- Best Actor for the film Swades in 2005
- Power Award in 2005
- Best Actor for the film Chak De India in 2008
- Best Actor for the film My Name Is Khan in 2011
- Food: Tandoori Chicken, Chinese Cuisine, Chicken Tikka
- Beverage: Pepsi, Coffee
- Actress: Mumtaz, Saira Banu
- TV Show: Narcos
- Colour: Blue, Black, White
- Phrase: “Let’s Do It”
- Destination: London, Dubai
- Perfume: Diptyque, Armani, Tuscany, Azzaro
- Outfit: Jeans, T-Shirt, Jacket
- Book: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and Eoin Colfer
- Car: BMW
- Male Co-star: Johnny Lever
- Film Directors: Manmohan Desai
- Music Directors: A. R. Rahman
- Sports: Hockey, Football, Cricket
- Soccer Player: Sócrates, Pelé, Diego Maradona
- Fashion Designer: Dolce and Gabbana
- Historical Person: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Nepolean,
- Spice: Chillies
- Song(s): Hindi song “Gori Tera Gaon Bada” from the film ‘Chit Chor,’ English song “Stand by Me” by Ben E. King
- Performance (his own): As ‘Sunil’ in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (1994)
- Audi A6 Luxury Saloon
- Bentley Continental GT
- BMW 6 Series
- BMW 7 Series
- BMW i8
- Buggati Veyron
- Mitsubishi Pajero SFX
- Rolce Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
He loves wearing luxury watches, and one of his favorite watches is Patek Philippe Aquana (priced at Rs 30 lakhs). At an event after the release of his film Pathaan, he was spotted wearing a blue Audemars Piguet’s Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar (priced at Rs. 4.98 crores). Hindustan Times
- His father was acquainted with Subhash Chandra Bose (freedom fighter of India) as his father was the cousin of General Shah Nawaz, the second-in-command to Subhash Chandra Bose.
- In an interview, Shah Rukh said that his mother was a South Indian and belonged to Andhra Pradesh but later moved to Karnataka.
- He spent his childhood with his maternal grandparents in Bengaluru. In an interaction during the alumni meet of the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, Shah Rukh said,
I was adopted by my grandparents when my parents were working hard to make the ends meet. So I spent the first five years of my life in Bengaluru.”
- His name Shahrukh means ‘Face of the King’ but he prefers to write it as ‘Shah Rukh.’
- Shah Rukh likes to play computer games.
- He was active at sports and excelled in hockey and football at his school.
- Back in school days, Shah Rukh formed a gang named C-gang with his four friends namely Bikash Mathur, Vivek Khushalani, Raman Sharma, and Ashok Vassan. The ‘C’ in the C-gang stood for cool.
- He was 15, his father died due to cancer.
- In his youth, he mimicked legendary Bollywood actors like Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, and Mumtaz, etc.
- Shah Rukh was closely involved with Theatre Action Group (TAG) and was mentored by Barry John when he used to study in Hansraj College.
- When asked about his connection with the National School of Drama (NSD), Shah Rukh Khan says,
I wasn’t a part of the National School of Drama, but I used to work with a lot of actors who were from there. Manoj (Bajpayee) wasn’t from there either, but he and I worked with actors like Raghuvir Yadav and others who were a part of NSD. They used to help with our syntax and enunciation when we were doing theatre in Delhi. I learnt a lot from them. My father used to run the canteen at NSD, which is how I got to know all the amazing actors from there.”
- His first salary was INR 5o that he earned as an escort in Pankaj Udhas’s concert. He used that money to visit Taj Mahal. Recalling his experience he says that he drank a “Pink Lassi” in the way that made him sick.
- He even tried to expand his business in Dariya Ganj, which didn’t work.
- He was helped by his friend Vivek Vaswani during his days of struggle. They co-starred in the movies together like Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman (1992) and Josh (2000).
- He was first offered a role in Lekh Tandon’s TV show “Dil Dariya” but due to delays in the broadcasting of the show, Fauji became his debut TV show.
- When he was asked in an interview as to what would he have done if he weren’t an actor. Shah Rukh said,
I always wanted to join Army, so I would have aimed for that had acting not happened.”
- In 1992, he moved with his sister to Mumbai after his mother died.
- Until the end of the late 90s, Shah Rukh Khan became the public sensation, especially among teenagers, and became the icon of romance without actually kissing any of his co-stars on the screen till then, which earned him the title of “King Of Romance.”
- His hobby is collecting gadgets (especially-hi-tech).
- His first kiss on the screen in his movie was in “Jab Tak Hai Jaan” in 2012.
- In 2012, his biography titled “King Khan: The Official Opus Of Shah Rukh Khan” was released. He is the first Indian actor and second Indian citizen to have his biography published by Kraken Opus.
- King of Romance loves to play cricket, hockey, and football.
- He has a fear of riding horses and hates ice- creams.
- He doesn’t like the sentimental and liar people.
- SRK hates getting pictured while eating.
- King of Romance doesn’t stammer in his real life but his dialogue “I love you KKK Kiran” from the movie- Darr, became an all-time favourite among the audience.
- During the shooting for the song ‘Chaiya Chaiya’ on a moving train in the movie- ‘Dil Se,’ he performed without any protection, whereas other dancers were tied to the train for safety.
- On his recommendation, Karan Johar decided to cast Rani Mukherjee in the film ‘Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.’
- Baadshah is also famous for his hosting skills and hosted many shows as well as events like the Filmfare awards, 20th, 21st Life OK Screen Awards, 6th, 14th International Indian Film Academy Awards and many others.
- He has connections with many charitable organizations like ‘Make A Wish Foundation.’
- King Khan has also hosted a hit show ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’- Season 3 aired on Sony TV.
- He has been selected as the brand ambassador for numerous government campaigns like ‘Pulse Polio’ and ‘National AIDS Control’. He was also appointed as the first global ambassador of the ‘Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council’ by ‘UNOPS.’
- His mannequin is situated in London’s ‘Madame Tussaud’s Museum’.
- SRK greatly believes in numerology and considers the number 555 lucky for him. His cars have this number, and his personal e-mail ID also includes the same number.
- On 27 May 2017, he had a son named AbRam through surrogacy.
- In his movie Fan, he was transformed into a 25- year old individual and this challenge were taken up by International makeup artist Greg Cannom, who has won three academy awards. His double role in the movie received great laurels from the viewers.
- SRK has charmed the world with his signature pose that means spreading his arms wide in blue azure skies.
- In 2018, he starred in the movie Zero, which was in news because of Sri Devi’s last performance.
- Despite believing in Islam, he equally values his wife’s religion and teaches his children to do the same. He once said that at his home Quran is installed next to Hindu gods.
- In 2019, a PhD scholarship was announced by La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia, which was named after Shah Rukh Khan. India’s Gopika Kottantharayil Bhasi from Thrissur in Kerala received the maiden scholarship at an event where the actor was the chief guest. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions, the scholarship was put to a halt, and in August 2022, Shah Rukh Khan announced that the scholarship would be revived. The Times of India
- In 2019, he made headlines for his appearance in the series of advertisement for the videos for Dubai’s tourism’s #BeMyGuest campaign. He was seen alongside superheroes Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor, as they joined to solve a riddle in Dubai.
Three coins, one old box and tons of clues to solve. Wonder what my next challenge will be? @visitdubai
— Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) March 18, 2019
- According to Shah Rukh, he has an obsession with computers.
- In June 2022, he became the owner of a women’s cricket team, Trinbago Knight Riders, a franchise of his Knight Riders cricket team. Hindustan Times The actor took to Twitter to announce this.
— Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) June 17, 2022
- In January 2023, the World of Statistics released a list of the richest actors in the world according to which Shah Rukh Khan was the 4th richest actor in the world. CNBC TV18
- In July 2023, he became the official ambassador for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023. To kickstart the World Cup 2023 campaign, the ICC showcased a video featuring the actor’s distinctive voice on their official social media channels.