Juhi Chawla is an Indian actress, film producer, entrepreneur, and social activist, who ruled the Hindi cinema from the late 1980s until the early 2000s. She came into the limelight after playing the role of Rashmi Singh in Mansoor Khan’s Hindi-language romantic musical film Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988). Renowned for her impeccable comedic timing and vibrant on-screen presence, she has garnered numerous accolades throughout her career, including two Filmfare Awards. She was crowned Miss India in 1984.
Juhi Chawla, also known as Juhi S. Chawla, was born on Monday, 13 November 1967 (age 55 years; as of 2022) in Ludhiana, Punjab. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio.
She belongs to a family with an army background. She spent most of her childhood in Ambala, Haryana, where she did her primary schooling. Later, she moved to Bombay (present-day Mumbai) with her family, where she studied at Fort Convent School. She attended Sydenham College, Mumbai, to pursue her graduation with a specialisation in Human Resources. Jr Ambala Celebrities – Facebook
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurement(s): 34-30-34
Juhi Chawla was born to a Punjabi-speaking father and a Gujarati-speaking mother.
Parents & Siblings
Juhi’s father, Dr S. Chawla, worked as an Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer. Her mother, Mona Chawla, worked as the head of the housekeeping department of the Taj Group. In 1998, her mother passed away in an accident. Juhi learned the news of her mother’s demise when she was shooting for her 1998 film Duplicate. She had an elder brother named Sanjeev Chawla aka Bobby Chawla who was the chief executive officer of Red Chillies Entertainment. In 2010, he suffered a massive brain stroke and thereafter went into a coma. Sanjeev died on 9 March 2014 at Jaslok Hospital in Mumbai.
Husband & Children
Juhi Chawla got married to multi-millionaire industrialist Jai Mehta in 1995. Together, they have a daughter named Jhanvi Mehta, who was born in 2001, and a son named Arjun Mehta, who was born in 2003. Jay Mehta was earlier married to Yash Birla’s sister Sujata Birla, who died in a plane crash in 1990.
Juhi initially kept her marriage with Jay Mehta a secret. In an interview, Juhi Chawla reminisced about the rationale behind her choice to keep her wedding with Jay Mehta concealed from the public eye for a significant duration. Juhi revealed that at the time, she was at the pinnacle of her career and had recently achieved stability in her professional life. However, she harbored concerns that announcing her marriage could potentially jeopardize the progress she had painstakingly made, prompting her to opt for secrecy. She said,
At that time, you did not have the internet and you did not have cameras on every phone, so you could do it that way. I was just about established and doing well. That’s the time Jay was serenading me and I was afraid of losing my career just when I had kind of got there. I wanted to carry on and this seemed the midway.”
The Bollywood actress Madhu who rose to fame with the films Phool Aur Kaante (1991) and Roja (1992), is Juhi Chawla’s sister-in-law. In one of the episodes of The Kapil Sharma show, Juhi disclosed that Madhu’s husband Anand Shah was the younger brother of Juhi’s husband Jay Mehta.
Juhi Chawla dated Jay Mehta for a few years before tying the knot. During an interview, Juhi shared a delightful anecdote about Jay, recalling moments when he would surprise her with thoughtful gestures such as gifts, flowers, and handwritten notes. She fondly remembered a time when Jay even sent her an overwhelming truckload of roses, leaving her pleasantly bewildered. In her words,
Everywhere I looked, he was there with flowers and notes and gifts. Every day! On my birthday, I remember he sent me a truckload of red roses. I was like, ‘What do you do with a truckload of flowers?’ He really did all he could. After a year, he proposed.”
Juhi Chawla follows Hinduism. In an interview, Juhi revealed that during her childhood, her family used to visit temples on special occasions, but she wasn’t raised to be particularly religious in that way. However, her marriage to businessman Jay Mehta brought about some changes. Chawla explained that her mother-in-law, Sunayana Mehta, possessed incredible inner strength and unwavering confidence. She is not easily shaken or disturbed. Chawla further emphasized that what grounded and stabilized her mother-in-law was her profound faith in her spiritual guide, the late Maa Anandmayi. The Hindu
153/Oxford Tower, Yamuna Nagar, Oshiwara Complex, Andheri West 400058, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Veer Bhavan at the Ritz Road, Malabar Hill, South Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
After pursuing her graduation, Juhi contested for the beauty pageant Femina Miss India in 1984 and won the crown. She also won the titles of Miss Catwalk, Miss Perfect Ten, Miss Popular, and Miss Miraculous at the pageant. In the same year, she went to Miami representing India at the Miss Universe Pageant. Although she did not win the title, she received the Best Costume Award in the beauty pageant.
Juhi Chawla made her acting debut in 1986 with the Hindi film Sultanat as Zarina. The film failed at the box office. Juhi shot to fame with the 1988 Hindi-language romantic musical film Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak. Starring opposite Aamir Khan, Juhi played the role of Rashmi in the film. The film was a modern adaptation of William Shakespeare’s novel Romeo and Juliet.
Later, she went on to work in multiple blockbuster films opposite Aamir Khan including Daulat Ki Jung (1992), Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (1993), Andaz Apna Apna (1994), Ishq (1997), and Deewana Mastana (1997).
In 1992, she appeared in the Hindi film Rishta Ho Toh Aisa opposite Rishi Kapoor.
She has also appeared in several hit films opposite Shah Rukh Khan including Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman (1992), Darr (1993), Yes Boss (1997), Duplicate (1998), and Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani (2000).
Some of her other popular Hindi films include My Brother… Nikhil (2005) and Mr. and Mrs. Khiladi (1997). In 2014, Juhi played the role of Sumitra Devi (Bagrecha) in the Hindi-language action drama film Gulaab Gang. Directed by Soumik Sen, the film was centred on the struggle of women in India. Although the film was a big flop, Chawla’s performance in the film received widespread critical acclaim. In 2022, Juhi played the role of Veena Manchanda in the Hindi-language comedy-drama film Sharmaji Namkeen.
Juhi made her Kannada film debut in 1987 with the film Premaloka in which she played the role of Shashikala. The film was a commercial success. Some of her Kannada films include Ranadheera (1988), Kindari Jogi (1989), Shanti Kranti (1991), Pushpaka Vimana (2017), and Very Good 10/10.
Juhi Chawla made her Telugu film debut in 1988 with the film Kaliyuga Karnudu in which she played the role of Jaya. Some of her Telugu films include Vicky Daada (1989) and Shanti Kranti (1991).
Juhi made her Tamil film debut in 1987 with the film Paruva Ragam in which she played the role of Shashikala.
In 1991, she played the role of Jyoti in the film Nattukku Oru Nallavan.
Juhi made her Bengali film debut in 1989 with the film Amar Prem in which she played the role of Deepika.
She has also starred in the film Apan Por (1992) as Swapna.
Juhi Chawla made her Punjabi film debut in 2004 with the film Des Hoya Pardes in which she played the role of Jassi.
Later, she went on to appear in the Punjabi films Waris Shah: Ishq Daa Waaris (2006), Sukhmani – Hope for Life (2010), and Dil Vil Pyar Vyar (2014).
In 1999, Juhi Chawla, along with Shah Rukh Khan and Aziz Mirza, co-founded the production company Dreamz Unlimited. She made her debut as a film producer with the 2000 Hindi film Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani. In 2001, she co-produced the Hindi film Asoka with Gauri Khan. She has also co-produced the Hindi-language romantic drama film Chalte Chalte (2003).
Juhi Chawla made her TV debut in 1986 with the TV serial Bahadur Shah Zafar in which she played the role of Nur Jahan. The serial was aired on Doordarshan.
In 1995, she played the role of Kanchan in DD Metro’s mini-series Mahashakti. She appeared as a judge in season 3 of the reality TV dance show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa (2009) on Sony Entertainment Television.
In 2011, Juhi hosted the kid’s chat-show Badmaash Company- Ek Shararat Hone Ko Hai on Colors TV.
Juhi made her digital debut in 2017 with the Hindi-language web series The Test Case in which she played the role of Shraddha Pandit.
The series was streamed on ALTBalaji. In 2022, she played the role of Ishi in Amazon Prime Video’s web series Hush Hush.
In 2008, Juhi Chawla, in partnership with her husband Jay Mehta and Indian actor Shahrukh Khan, acquired the ownership rights of the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise representing Kolkata for US$ 75.09 million. They named their team Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR), who won the Twenty20 cricket tournament in 2012 and 2014.
Juhi also co-owns a restaurant named Pizza Metro Pizza at Kemps Corner in Mumbai.
5G Lawsuit in Delhi High Court
In 2021, Juhi Chawla, along with two others, moved to the Delhi High Court against the 5G rollout in India and asked the court if 5G was safe for humans, animals, birds, and other beings on the planet. Subsequently, the Delhi High Court imposed a fine of Rs. 20 lakh on Juhi and her co-appellants for abusing the process of law by way of their lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology. However, later the penalty was reduced to Rs. 2 lakh. The Print
Awards & Honours
- Best Female Debut for the Hindi film Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1989)
- Best Actress for the Hindi film Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (1994)
Bollywood Movie Awards
- Most Sensational Actress for the Hindi film Duplicate (1999)
Star Screen Awards
- Best Supporting Actress for the Hindi film 3 Deewarein (2004)
- Best Ensemble Cast for the Hindi film Luck by Chance (2010)
- Best Supporting Actress for the Hindi film Jhankaar Beats (2004)
- Miss India, Miss Catwalk, Miss Perfect Ten, Miss Popular, and Miss Miraculous at Miss India (1984)
- Best National Costume at Miss Universe (1984)
Juhi Chawla owns a fleet of luxury cars including Jaguar XJ L, Audi Q7, Aston Martin Rapide, Mercedes Benz S-Class, and Porsche Cayenne.
- Actress: Sridevi
- Film: Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (1993)
- TV Shows: The Big Bang Theory
- Film Director(s): Aziz Mirza, Yash Chopra
- Song: Ek Din Aap from the film Yes Boss (1997)
- Book: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Perfume Brand: Jean Paul Gaultier
- Food: Paneer Shashlik, Dosa
- Cuisine(s): Italian, Thai
- Dessert: Rasmalai, Caramel Custard, Gulab Jamun
- Travel Destination: Switzerland
- Restaurant(s): Thai Pavillion, India Jones, and San Qi in Mumbai; Nobu in London; La Calle de la Roca in Spain; Bukhara at the Maurya in Delhi; Trisara Hotel in Phuket; and French Laundry in Napa Valley
- In her leisure time, Juhi loves to dance and play badminton.
- She has learned Khathak for around three years and classical singing for around six years.
- Juhi Chawla shares a great bond with Nita Ambani.
- Apparently, Juhi has opted to donate her eyes to an eye donation organisation after her death. She consistently promotes and encourages individuals to consider organ donation as a valuable choice after their own demise.
- Despite her background as a beauty queen, Juhi skillfully avoided being typecast into a sexy image and instead established herself as the embodiment of innocence, with her vivacious charm and signature pigtails. She made a conscious decision to decline roles that would portray her as a glamorous and seductive star.
- Juhi initially had reservations about starring in the Hindi film Lootere (1993) as she feared that it would tarnish her wholesome image. However, after being persuaded by friends, Juhi took on the role and subsequently gained recognition for her glamorous persona as well.
- In an interview, Salman Khan revealed that he had once asked Juhi Chawla’s father, S Chawla, for her hand in marriage. However, Juhi’s father rejected his proposal.
- During a televised interview, Juhi Chawla got so emotional that she broke down into tears on national television. The incident happened when the host of the show enquired her about her brother Bobby Chawla’s medical condition as he had slipped into a coma.
- In the initial phase of her career, Juhi was exceptionally sought after, leading to an impressive 29 film releases between 1990 and 1993.
- In 1998, Juhi, along with Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, and Akshay Kumar, went on a concert tour titled ‘Awesome Foursome’ across the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.
- Reportedly, Juhi generously opted not to charge any fee for her involvement in the patriotic Punjabi film Shaheed Udham Singh (1999).
- Throughout her illustrious career, Juhi has collaborated with renowned actors Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan in multiple blockbuster films. Interestingly, despite both Salman Khan and Juhi being highly sought-after actors during the same period, they never had the chance to share the screen together in any film.
- In an interview, the Bollywood actress Kiara Advani revealed that her father was a childhood friend of Juhi Chawla.
- Juhi and Aamir embarked on their careers around the same time, with Aamir gaining a reputation for his playful antics on set. However, one particular prank crossed the line, leaving Juhi unable to tolerate it. It occurred during the filming of the song ‘Ankhiyan Tu’ from the Hindi film Ishq. Juhi grew irritated by the prank and lashed out at both Aamir and Ajay. Her frustration led her to refuse to continue shooting, and she failed to show up on the set of the film the following day as well. Aamir, too, was upset by her reaction, and as a result, the two did not communicate with each other for approximately 4-5 years after the incident.
- In an interview, Juhi claimed that she played a big role in making Karishma Kapoor a star. Apparently, the Bollywood films Raja Hindustani (1996) and Dil To Pagal Hai (1997) which solidified Karishma’s position in the Hindi film industry were initially offered to Juhi. However, she rejected the offers. Reflecting on this during an interview with the Times of India, Juhi remarked,
When you are riding high on success, ego often influences your decisions. In my case, I inadvertently played a part in making Karisma Kapoor a star. I was the first choice for Raja Hindustani, and she went on to do Dil To Pagal Hai, which was originally offered to me.”
- During the peak of her career, Juhi was offered several films alongside Madhuri Dixit. However, she rejected them all as she did not want to look second to her. Later, when Juhi and Madhuri worked together in the Hindi film Gulaab Gang (2014), a lot of buzz was created in the film industry. In an interview, while talking about her alleged cold war with Madhuri, Juhi said,
I was apprehensive of taking a film (Dil To Pagal Hai) with Madhuri earlier, when we were all rising up in our careers. At that time I did not take on a film because she was in it. I had just done Darr with Yash ji and was used to all the attention. So when I was offered Dil To Pagal Hai, I said I don’t want to be second to her.”
She further said,
That was not a clever decision of mine.”
- Juhi Chawla and Shah Rukh Khan once shared a close bond. They even co-founded a production house called ‘Red Chillies,’ with Juhi’s brother Bobby serving as the CEO. However, tensions arose between SRK and Juhi when Shah Rukh replaced Bobby with Venky Mysore as the CEO of Red Chillies, without informing Juhi beforehand. In an interview, while talking about it, Juhi said,
I don’t know if I was informed before or after Venky assumed office, but it was Venky who called me and told me about the development. In fact, I told Venky ‘please go ahead and take up your new assignment’. But suddenly I started feeling bad because it struck me that the job, which my brother did so efficiently for the longest time, will now be done by someone else.”
- Juhi has worked in around 86 films until 2023.
- Apparently, Juhi bagged the role of Draupadi in Zee TV’s show Mahabharat. However, she did not take up the project as its shooting dates clashed with her film Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988).
- Juhi is very active on social media platforms. She enjoys a great fan following on Instagram.