Swaroop Sampat is a famous Indian actress and model. She was the winner of 1979 Miss India title and also represented India at 1979 Miss Universe competition. Let’s explore in detail about Swaroop Sampat’s family, biography and more:
Swaroop Sampat was born on 3 November 1958 (aged 60; as in 2018) in Gujarat. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. Swaroop has completed her graduation from Elphinstone College, Mumbai, Maharashtra. In 2006, she went to the University of Worcester, England to complete her Ph.D. in Education and Drama.
Swaroop was interested in acting since her childhood. She came into the eyes of media after winning the title of Miss India 1979. She also did Bollywood movies and TV serials. Swaroop is best-remembered for her portrayal of the role of “Renu” in the TV serial “Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi.”Apart from being an actress and a model, she is also a writer and an educationist.
Swaroop is around 5’ 5” tall and 55 kg in weight. She has black eyes and hair. She has always maintained a traditional image and looks amazing in different characters.
Family, Caste & Husband
Swaroop Sampat was born and raised in a Gujarati Hindu Family. Her father, Bachu Sampat, is a popular Gujarati Theatre Artist while her mother is a doctor (surgical oncologist).
Swaroop is married to Indian actor Paresh Rawal. She saw Paresh for the first time in 1970; when they both were in college. After dating for 17 years, the couple got married in 1987 at Lakshmi Narayan Temple, Mumbai.
Swaroop is a mother of two sons- Aniruddh Rawal (elder) who has worked as an assistant director and Aditya Rawal (younger) who is a screenplay writer and has completed his studies in theatre from the London International School of Performing Arts in London, UK.
While studying in college, Swaroop started working in Gujarati theatre plays.
After winning the Miss India contest in 1979, she started getting offers from the Hindi Film Industry.
In 1981, she made her debut in the Bollywood with the movie ‘Nakhuda.’ Thereafter, she worked in many movies like ‘Sawaal,’ ‘Himmatwala,’ ‘Lorie,’ ‘Karishma,’ etc.
In between, she made her TV debut with the popular comedy TV show ‘Ye Jo Hai Zindagi’ in which she played the role of ‘Renu.’
She became quite popular among the masses for role in the TV serials, like ‘Yeh Duniyan Gazab Ki,’ ‘All The Best,’ ‘Shanti,’ etc. She has also appeared in a number of Hindi films like ‘Saathiya,’ (2002) ‘Ki and Ka,’ (2016) ‘Uri: The Surgical Strike,’ (2018) etc.
She appeared in the Gujarati movie- ‘Saptapadii’ produced by Amitabh Bachchan.
Swaroop has directed, as well as acted in, many Marathi and Gujarati plays along with her husband Paresh Rawal.
In addition to acting, she also appeared in several television commercials and did modeling assignments.
In 2018, she featured in the web series-“The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family.”
Apart from her contributions to the film and TV industry, Swaroop trains disabled children in the field of acting. Being a trainer, she travels across India and provides training to teachers using drama techniques for the benefit of children. Inspired by Aamir Khan‘s directorial debut movie “Taare Zameen Par,” she wrote a book titled- ‘Learning Disabilities in a Nutshell: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia’ for all the learning disabled children, their teachers, and parents.
She is a board member of an NGO- “Save the Children India,” which works to improve the lives of children in India.
For providing better education to the rural children, she wrote many letters to the many ministers of Maharashtra and former Gujarat Chief Minister, Narendra Modi. Later on, she got a response from Modi and was selected as the head of an educational program for children in Gujarat. Swaroop also works for the Gujarat Council for Educational Research and Training and conducts workshops for children in Gujarat. As a result of her hard work, she was able to get more than 700 children enrolled in schools.
- Her favourite Bollywood stars are Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha.
- In her free time, she likes reading books and spending time with children.
- Initially, Swaroop was reluctant about participating in the Miss India contest, but after being encouraged by her father, she participated in the contest.
- According to some sources, Swaroop rejected the proposal of another popular TV serial because she like the script of ‘Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi’ more.
- Narendra Modi described her as ‘Gujarat’s Master Ji’.
- Swaroop’s “Satphere” took place under big old trees instead of a wedding “Mandap.”
- Her elder son Aniruddh Rawal, worked as an assistant director for the Bollywood movie ‘Sultan’ and also worked with Naseeruddin Shah in his plays.
- While Swaroop’s younger son Aditya Rawal, featured in the Gujarati play- ‘Kishan Kanhaiya.’ He also appeared in the Bollywood film ‘Ferrari Ki Sawaari.’ He has produced and directed a documentary titled- ‘Drama-in-Education: Taking Gandhi Out of the Textbook.’
- She has a keen interest in helping children with special needs; this was the reason she pursued her doctorate in education for the benefit of children with special needs.
- Swaroop is a follower of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Here is the signature of Swaroop Sampat-