Neeta Lulla is an Indian costume designer, fashion stylist, and couturier. She is best known for designing the costumes of the popular Bollywood actresses Madhuri Dixit and Aishwarya Rai for the film “Devdas” (2002).
Neeta Lulla was born on Friday, 5 March 1965 (age 55 years; as in 2020) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Pisces. She grew up in Ahmedabad. She was a tomboy in her school days who did not have any interest in studies. She preferred extracurricular activities over reading books. While her mother worried about her scores, her father encouraged her for sports. During her high school days, to develop her interest in reading, her father bought her the then popular bi-annual magazines, “Seventeen” and “Cosmopolitan” (which were available only in selected stores). The magazines showcased the chemistry between Bollywood and fashion and slowly instilled a spark of fashion and styling within her. In order to evade the high school education and a college degree, Neeta chose to get married. However, after her marriage, her husband asked her to complete her education. It was then that she decided to pursue a Diploma in Pattern Making and Garment Manufacture from Mumbai’s SNDT University. At her college, she was groomed by Hemant Trivedi in make-up, fashion choreography, and styling shows.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Light Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Neeta Lulla belongs to a Hindu Family. Not much is known about her parents & siblings.
Husband & Children
Neeta Lulla is married to Dr. Shyam Lulla, a psychiatrist. The couple has a son, Siddharth Lulla who is a businessman. They also have a daughter, Nishka Lulla who is also a designer.
Neeta started her career by working as an assistant for the fashion choreographer, Jeanne Naoroji. She assisted him on various fashion shows for around two and a half years. Meanwhile, Lulla also received an offer from her college to work as a lecturer in fashion coordination. However, after collecting suitable experience and knowledge about the fashion industry, Neeta decided to start up her own business. Lulla began her journey from a room in her home with one Kaarigar (worker) and a sewing machine. She worked from home for a while but the output was not substantial. In 1988, her brother-in-law (producer), gave her an opportunity to design clothes for the Bollywood film ‘Tamacha.’ Although, Lulla did a good job in Tamacha, but it was the Bollywood film “Lamhe” (1991), which brought her immediate stardom. Before venturing into mainstream fashion, Neeta designed looks for some big banner Bollywood films, including “Manikarnika,” “Hum Aapke Hai Kaun,” “Darr,” “Khal Nayak,” and “Taal.” In 2002, she earned huge popularity after designing the costumes for the Bollywood divas Madhuri Dixit and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in the film “Devdas.” She has even worked for Bollywod actresses like Juhi Chawla, Shilpa Shetty, Salma Azad, Isha Koppikar, and Sridevi. Not just Bollywood, she has also worked as a costume designer in Bollywood films like “One Night With The King,” “Mistress Of Spices,” “Bride & Prejudice,” and “Provoked.”
In 2014, she collaborated with the Bollywood director, Subhash Ghai to open a fashion institute in Mumbai, “The Whistling Wood International Neeta School of Fashion.” The institute provides wide range of courses in fashion, online marketing, and merchandising for budding fashion enthusiasts.
National Film Awards
- Best Costume Design for Lamhe (1991)
- Best Costume Design for Devdas (2002)
- Best Costume Design for Jodhaa Akbar and Balgandharva (2008, 2011)
- IIFA Best Costume Design Awards (2000, 2009)
- Bollywood Movie Awards (2001, 2003)
- Zee Cine Award for Best Costume Designer (2002)
- Kingfisher Fashion Award (2005)
- Fashion Designer of the Decade Award at Satya Brahma (2016)
- Actress: Sridevi
- Icon: Meryl Streep
- Fashion Designer: Alexander McQueen
- Perfume: Angel by Thierry Mugler
- Brand: Prada
- Restaurant: Yauatcha
- Watch: Cartier
- Holiday Destination: Rome, Africa, Dubai
- Colour: Black
- Her hobbies include travelling and doing adventure sports.
- She is one of the leading fashion designers in India who is known for her splendid collections.
- Neeta is the only Indian fashion designer to have won four National Awards for her contribution to the fashion industry.
- During her college days, Lulla wanted to become a choreographer.
- The business that Neeta started with just one sewing machine, one kaarigar, and a capital of Rs. 500 has now expanded to more than 10 lakh clients over the years.
- The House of Neeta Lulla shelters four distinct brands, namely, “Nisshk,” “Neeta Lulla,” “Little Nisshk,” and “N Bride.”
- Lulla also designed the wedding and reception outfits of the Indian comedian, Bharti Singh.
- Until 2020, Neeta has designed outfits for more than 350 national and international films.
- On 5 April 1993, Neeta Lulla, along with her husband Shyam Lulla and Divya Bharti’s maid, Amrita, were present at Divya Bharti’s house in Tulsi, Versova, Mumbai when Divya died. The actress died after falling from the 5th floor of her building. Neeta was very close to the actress and had designed several costumes for her. India Today
- When asked about getting national and international stardom in an industry infamous for its nepotism, Neeta said,
I just blocked out the nepotism and focused on the quality of my work and let my products be the showstoppers.”