Abdul Rashid Salim Salman Khan who is popularly known as Salman Khan is one of the eminent actors of the film industry. Popular among his fans as Sallu and Bhaijan, he is not just an actor but also a producer, television presenter and philanthropist. The Hindi megastar is well known for giving back to back hits on the box office. Let’s have an extended look at the age, height, weight, wife, caste, family, and biography of the actor.
Salman Khan was born into a prominent family of Bollywood on 27 December 1965 (aged 52; as in 2018) in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India. He did his elementary level schooling from Scindia School, Gwalior and went onto St. Stanislaus High School, Bandra, Mumbai to attain his secondary level of schooling. Khan enrolled himself in St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai to complete his graduation but dropped his studies as he wanted to pursue his acting talent. He along with his friends Sajid Khan and Chunky Pandey learned acting from Daisy Irani’s acting institute.
Interestingly, Salman has also worked as a model before becoming a successful actor.
His father Salim Khan wanted him to become a cricketer, but he was always inspired to be a writer. He has even penned down scripts like Veer and Chandramukhi. In fact, the storyline of the movie Baaghi: A Rebel for Love was also inspired by Salman’s idea and he has also been credited for the same in the movie.
Apart from his magnificent contributions to the film industry, he also owns a charitable group called Being Human Foundation which emphasises on health, care and education of people. All the proceeds from the sale of watches he designs, Being Human T-shirts, and his paintings, go to the foundation.
Having brown eyes and black hairs, Salman Khan is a strongly built man with a chest measuring 45 Inches, waist measuring 35 Inches and Biceps that measure 17 Inches. He is approximately 5’ 8” tall and weighs 75 kg.
Family, Caste & Girlfriends
Salman Khan hails from the Sunni sect. He identifies himself as both Hindu as well as Muslim due to the fact that his father is a Muslim and his mother is Hindu. He is the son of legendary screenwriter, Salim Khan who penned many super-hits in the yesteryears like Deewar (1975), Sholay (1975) and Don (1978). His mother is Sushila Charak, who later changed her name to Salma Khan.
The veteran actress Helen is Salman’s Stepmother.
Salman is a brother to Arbaaz Khan and Sohail Khan. He also has two sisters named Alvira and Arpita.
Though Bhaijaan is not yet married, however, his love life has always been the talk of the town. The first lady that Salman ever wanted to settle down with was Sangeeta Bijlani. They even planned to tie a knot in the year 1994 but things didn’t go as planned and they both drifted apart.
After partying his ways with Sangeeta, Salman went on to date actress Somy Ali. Salman was very much serious about his relationship with the actress until he met Aishwarya Rai on the sets of Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.
It is believed that Aish and Salman came closer on the sets of the film and love blossomed between the two by the end of the shooting. The duo dated each other from 1999-2002 and then finally parted their ways owing to Salman’s endless tantrums.
After ending his relationship with Aishwarya Rai, Salman again lost his heart to the beautiful Katrina Kaif. They reportedly dated for four long years before calling it quits in 2009.
Later, the actor was also rumoured to be dating Faria Alam, a former Model & Football Association Secretary (1996) and the Romanian model and Television Presenter Lulia Vantur (2016).
After taking his training from Daisy Irani’s acting school, Khan went on to make a career in the field of acting. He worked as a model in his beginning days in the industry. Then in 1988, Salman made his debut as a supporting actor in the film Biwi Ho To Aisi, where his voice was dubbed by a dubbing artist.
Salman worked very hard in his struggling days. He never used his father’s name to influence the producers, rather gave auditions to get the roles. After much of struggle, Khan bagged his first leading role in the Bollywood Romantic Family Drama Maine Pyaar Kiya, which was one of India’s highest grossing film at that time. The movie also earned him his first nomination for Best Actor at Filmfare, unfortunately, he could not win the award. The actor then appeared in Baaghi: A Rebel for Love which was a commercial success, followed by some average movies like Patthar Ke Phool, Sanam Bewfa and Kurbaan.
Khan was the first Bollywood actor to feature in Hollywood film and made his debut with Marigold: An Adventure in India. He has also launched his production companies by the name Salman Khan Being Human Productions and Salman Khan Film (SKF). His first produced film (under the banner SKF) Dr Cabbie, was a Canadian movie that became the second highest grossing film in Canada.
The actor has also brilliantly hosted various tv reality shows like 10 Ka Dum and Big Boss.
Presently, Salman is one of the highest paid actors in Bollywood and is the only actor to have had 12 back to back 100 Crore plus films. His 100 Crore films include Wanted (2009), Dabangg (2010), Ready (2011), Bodyguard (2011), Ek Tha Tiger (2012), Dabangg 2 (2012), Jai Ho (2014), Kick (2014), Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015), Sultan (2016), Tubelight (2017), Tiger Zinda Hai (2017) and Race 3 (2018).
- In 1999, the actor was accused of poaching endangered wild animals after allegedly shooting a rare black antelope near Jodhpur, while his shooting for the film “Hum Saath Saath Hai”. Later, in April 2018, Salman was found guilty in the case and was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment by the Jodhpur Court.
- On the night of September 28 2002, Salman drove his car over the people sleeping on the pavement in an area of north Bombay. One man died in that incident while three got severely injured.
- His relationship with Aishwarya Rai has brought a lot of negative publicity for the actor as he was accused by Aishwarya’s parents for harassing their daughter. A police complaint was lodged against him but he denied all the allegations imposed upon him.
- In 2003, Khan was accused of calling Vivek Oberoi 41 times in one night and threatening him for death. (Vivek was reportedly seeing Aishwarya rai at that time)
- Again in the year 2008, Salman Khan became a controversial figure when he had a serious argument and fight with Shah Rukh Khan Khan at Katrina Kaif’s birthday party.
Salman has a number of awards, honours and achievements to his credit. His most significant achievements include Filmfare and the National Film Awards for his blockbuster movies.
In the year 1990, Salman received the Best Male Debut Filmfare Award for Maine Pyaar Kiya. He has also been rewarded the Best Supporting Actor Award for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai at Filmfare Awards.
Bhaijaan was also felicitated with Best Children’s Film for his movie Chillar Party (2012) and his movie Bajrangi Bhaijaan won the National Film Award titled Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment.
Apart from the above, Khan has also received Rajiv Gandhi Award for Outstanding Achievement in Entertainment (2008), Rajiv Gandhi Award for Outstanding Achievement in Entertainment (2013), Times Celebex Awards – Star of the Year (2013), and Times Of India Film Award For Best Actor for Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2016).
Salman Khan has a huge love for automobiles and has an incredible collection of bikes and cars.
- Khan likes to go green and is very often seen cycling on the streets of Mumbai. He owns the Giant Propel 2014 XTC bicycle that costs Rs 4.32 lakh.
- Not just a bicycle, Salman is also a superbike enthusiast and his collection includes Suzuki Intruder M1800 RZ limited edition motorbike and Suzuki Hayabusa.
- He also owns a lot of luxury vehicles that include fancy sedans and SUVs. His car collection includes Lexus LX 470, Mercedes Benz GL-Class, BMW X5, Range Rover Vogue, BMW X6, Audi R8, Audi Q7, W221 Mercedes Benz S-Class.
- Khan is also the owner of a luxury yacht worth Rs. 3 Crore, which he often uses for his private parties and family getaways.
- Salman owns a 150-acre Farmhouse in Panvel that has 3 bungalows, a swimming pool, a gym, domestic animals and 5 horses.
- Salman’s home in Galaxy Appartments, Bandra is one of the iconic homes in Mumbai. The apartment is valued Rs 16 Crores.
- He has also bought the 11th-floor of the uber-luxury apartment complex at Triplex Flat, Bandra. The apartment costs more than 30 crores. Though the flat is still under construction, rumour has it that Salman will shift to this flat with his family once it completes.
- Not just this, the actor also owns a 5 BHK farmhouse at Gorai Beach that is spread over 100 acres. The farmhouse encloses a gym, swimming pool and a movie watching theatre hall.
With a net worth of around $300 Million, Salman gets paid more than ₹60 crore per film. For hosting a single episode of a tv reality show, he charges Rs. 12-14 crores which make around Rs 95-100 crores a week.
- Salman Khan is a gourmet and enjoys eating Chinese food, Spicy Italian food, Pav Bhaji, Chicken Biryani, Mutton Kebab and home-cooked food. He also loves to eat Mughlai and North-Indian delicacies.
- Salman is a huge admirer of Sylvester Stallone, Dilip Kumar, Govinda and Hema Malini.
- He is an all-rounder and loves Swimming, Cycling, Painting and Writing.
- In his debut movie, Biwi Ho To Aisi where he played a supporting role, his voice was dubbed by a dubbing artist.
- Salman was offered a negative role in Abbas-Mastan’s Baazigar, which is refused. The role later went on to Shah Rukh Khan and the movie became a great blockbuster.
- Dabangg Khan has a strong belief in lucky gemstones. He never forgets to put on his turquoise stone bracelet both on and off screen.
- He has a huge obsession for soaps, especially the natural fruit and vegetable extracts cleansers. So, his bathroom is always heaped up with a variety of them.
- When Khan was shooting for the film London Dreams, his cast and crew got tired of eating continental food. So, he specially flew his cook all the way from Mumbai to London to cook up biryani for all of them.
- Salman Khan’s wax statue was immortalised at Madame Tussaud’s Museum in London (2008).
- A restaurant named Bhaijaanz has been set up in Mumbai by one of his fans. The interiors of the restaurant have been decorated with his posters and also all his favourite delicacies are on the menu.
- Salman himself painted the painting of Zoya while shooting for Tiger Zinda Hai, as the crew was busy with the arrangements. He also painted the poster for his movie Jai Ho.
- Interestingly, Khan does not have an e-mail id in his own name. This is because he prefers to communicate verbally on phone than through e-mails.
- He gave his voice to the animated character Hanuman for the film- Hanuman: Da’ Damdaar (2017).
- In the year 2015, Salman left behind Barack Obama in the list of The Most Admired Personalities of India.
- His film Sultan was the 10th film to have entered the 100 crore club.
- Bhaijaan is also passionate about animals and has two pet horses named Bajrangi and Bhaijaan. He also has two dogs whom he lovingly calls My son and My Jaan.
- Apart from acting, Salman also has outstanding hosting skills. He made Big Boss- Season 4 a huge success with his exemplary hosting and then continued to host the other seasons of the show as well.