Sona Mohapatra is an Indian singer, music composer, and lyricist. Her fans call her ‘Lal Pari Mastani.’
Sona Mohapatra was born on Thursday, 17 June 1976 (age 43 years; as in 2019) in the Cuttack city of Odisha. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
She did her schooling from Kendra Vidhyalaya, Bhubaneshwar. She did her B. Tech in Instrumentation and Electronics Engineering from College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar, and her MBA in Marketing from Symbiosis Centre for Management & HRD, Pune. She has taken training in Indian Classical Music.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-26-34
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black (Dyed Brown)
Family, Caste & Husband
Her father, Dilip Mohapatra, was an officer in the Indian Navy. and her mother’s name is Nayantara Mohapatra. She has two sisters Madhumita Mohapatra and Pratichee Mohapatra (singer).
She met Ram Sampath for the first time in 2002. They both got married in 2005.
Sona Mohapatra started her career as a brand manager at Marico (Indian consumer goods and service company), where she managed brands like Parachute and Mediker. She left her job and started looking for opportunities to make her career in the Indian music industry. She began her singing career with singing jingles for advertisements. Few of her famous works were Tata Salt -“Kal Ka Bharat Hai” and Unilever’s Close Up -‘Paas Aao Na’ campaign. The song was recorded in several languages and aired across 13 countries for 4 consecutive years.
She made her Bollywood debut as a singer with the song “Lori” from the film “Family” in 2006.
In 2007, she released her first album “Sona” with Sony Records.
She has sung several hit songs including “I Hate You (Like I Love You),” “Naina,” “Chori Chori,” and “Bahara.” Out of all her hit songs, “Ambarsariya” from “Fukrey” is her most famous song.
- Salman Khan posted a comment on his social media account, in which, he compared himself with a raped women after a tiring shoot of wrestling. Outraged by his post, Sona tweeted-
Women thrashed,people run over,wild life massacred & yet #hero of the nation.’Unfair’.India full of such supporters.”
- In 2016, in an open letter on facebook, she criticised IIT Bombay, for their evident sexism towards female artists. In her letter, she claimed that the institute approached her to sing in their Annual Cultural Fest, Mood Indigo. However, they put up the condition that she should not perform alone but should team up with any male artist.
- In 2018, during the ongoing MeToo movement in India, she accused Kailash Kher of sexually harassing her and also labelled Anu Malik as a ‘Serial Predator.’
- In 2018, faced massive criticism in Odisha after she sang the devotional song “Ahe Nila Saila,” which was the written by saint-poet, Bhakta Salabega, in 17th century. Odia people said that she had horribly mispronounced many words in the song including the name of the poet. Moreover, they questioned her choice of dressing for a devotional song. In response to her haters, she tweeted that they should shut up or else she would go naked. Her sentence sparked rage across the state. An FIR was filed against her and her effigies were burnt on the streets.
- In 2019, she lashed out at Salman Khan for criticising Priyanka Chopra for leaving the film “Bharat (2019).” Following which, she received a death threat from one of Salman’s fans. The next day, Sona shared the screenshots of the troll, who apologised for his behaviour towards Sona.
- Singers: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Bebe, Girija Devi, Chhannulal Mishra, Madonna
- Musicians: Sting, A. R. Rahman
- Band: Ojos de Brujo
- Song(s): ‘Abhi Na Jao Chhod Kar’ from the movie “Hum Dono (1961). ” (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin
- Colour: Red
- Clothing: Ikat dhotis, Tunics, Jumpsuits, Stoles, Jackets
- Travel Destination: Spain
- Sona’s father was in the Indian Navy. As a result, she spent her childhood in various places including Cochin, Pune, Hyderabad, and Nigeria.
- Since her childhood, she has been performing on stage. She has represented her school in various national and international events.
- She gained recognition after featuring as a lead singer and performer in Aamir Khan’s Satyamev Jayate TV series. Her song “Mujhe Kya Bechega Rupaiya,” from one of the episodes became an instant YouTube hit, gaining 5 million views in the first week. She and Ram Sampath were co-producers of the show’s musical project.
- She and her husband own several studios in Mumbai and also run a music production house called OmGrown Music.
- She performs at regular musical fest and concerts.
- She has also recorded the remixes of international songs, such as “Let’s Dance” by David Bowie, and “Afterglow” by INXS.
- In 2018, she launched her show by the name ‘Lal Pari Mastani’ that aired on “Red FM.” She made her debut as an RJ with the show. It is an interactive show, which follows Indian Music and poetry along with Sona’s live performances.
- She has a huge collection of jackets, from belted trenchcoats to cropped leather biker-style boleros.