Lawrence Bishnoi is an Indian gangster who is known for being involved in the killing of the popular Punjabi singer Sidhu Moosewala. He is also known for threatening to kill Salman Khan in 2018 for blackbuck hunting.
According to some reports, Lawrence Bishnoi was born on Saturday, 22 February 1992 (age 30 years; as of 2022) Aaj Tak, whereas some sources state that he was born on 12 February 1993 (age 29 years; as of 2022) The Tribune in Fazilka, Punjab. Many other sources revealed that he was born on Wednesday, 12 February 1992 (age 30 years; as of 2022). Pune Mirror According to many sources, he was born in Duttaranwali village, Abohar Tehsil, Firozpur district, Punjab, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. He attended Sachkhand Convent school, Abohar, and DAV school in Sector 15, Chandigarh from 2007 to 2009. He attended DAV College, Chandigarh and pursued a Bachelor of Law at Panjab University, Chandigarh. The Tribune According to some sources, he pursued BA at DAV College, Sector 10, Chandigarh. The Times of India
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Bishnoi’s father’s name is Lavinder Singh, who was a policeman. His mother’s name is Sunita, who is a homemaker. He has a younger brother, Anmol Bishnoi, who is a boxer.
Lawrence Bishnoi is unmarried.
Bishnoi follows Hinduism.
He belonged to the Bishnoi community. The Indian Express
According to some sources, he resided in hostel no. 4 in Panjab University and Sector 4, Panchkula.
Lawrence Bishnoi is a notorious criminal in India and has been arrested in many cases including murder, extortion, and robbery. In 2011, he open fired on the members of the opposite party in college after he lost the elections. The first FIR was filed against him in 2011. In 2015, he ran away to Nepal when Punjab police were taking him to present in the court.
When he was twenty-nine years old, he had committed more than fifty crimes. As of 2022, he was lodged in Delhi’s Tihar jail. In 2020, Bishnoi and Goldy Brar murdered Gurlal Singh Bhalwan as revenge for their close aide Gurlal Brar.
Threat to Salman Khan
In 2018, Bishnoi attracted controversy when he said that he would kill Salman Khan in Jodhpur. He said this because he was hurt by the black buck hunting case in which Salman was involved. It was reported that Lawrence was offended by the back buck hunting because he belonged to the Bishnoi community. He gave the statement of killing Salman while he was being taken to the court and many police personnel were present there. ABP NEWS – YouTube
Use of mobile phones in jail
In 2021, the jail management caught him using a phone in the jail. Reportedly, he used to contact his gang members outside the jail and get people murdered. The Times of India
Support for Sushil Kumar
In 2021, after Sushil Kumar was arrested on the murder charges of Sagar, there were reports that Sushil was backing up the Bishnoi gang. Hindustan Times
Linked to Sandeep Nangal’s murder
In 2022, there were reports that the Bishnoi group was responsible for the murder of Kabaddi player Sandeep Nangal. In a social media post, they wrote,
Yesterday, we sent Sandeep Nangal Ambian to hell and his fault was that he cheated our group. He got his work done and then went abroad. We have killed him because it was necessary.”
Later, it came out that the reports were fake. PTC News
Responsibility for Sidhu Moosewala’s murder
In 2022, popular Punjabi singer Sidhu Moosewala was murdered by a group of people. A few hours after his murder, Goldy Brar and Lawrence Bishnoi took the responsibility for killing him. After Sidhu Mossewala was murdered, Goldy Brar and Bishnoi took responsibility for his murder. The Tribune In a social media post, they wrote,
Today, Moosewala was killed in Punjab, I, Sachin Bishnoi, Lawrence Bishnoi take the responsibility. It’s our work. Moosewala’s name surfaced in our brother Vikramjit Singh Middukhera and Gurlal Brar’s murder, but the Punjab Police did not take any action against him. We also came to know that Moosewala was also involved in the encounter of our associate Ankit Bhadu. Moosewala was working against us. Delhi Police had taken his name but Moosewala used his political power and saved his skin each time.”
On 30 May 2022, he filed a petition to receive protection from a fake police encounter, which was denied by the court. Hindustan Times
Members of Bishnoi Group
After Bishnoi was arrested by the police, many of his group members were also arrested and encountered by the police in connection to murders and extortion. In 2019, Ankit Bhadu, who was an ally of Bishnoi was encountered by the police in Zirakpur for kidnapping a girl hostage. Business Standard In 2021, he was taken to Jaipur for interrogation after a complaint was registered against his ally Sampat Nehra. Sampat told the police that he made the WhatsApp call and demanded protection money of Rs 1 crore from the businessman after Bishnoi had asked him to do so. The New Indian Express In 2021, Vicky Middukhera, who was a close ally of Bishnoi was killed in a gang war in Mohali after being shot with fifteen bullets. Reportedly, he was trying to make strong connections in Delhi through his close associate Sandeep. In 2021, police arrested Manju Arya aka Meenu, the lady aide of the Bishnoi group.
- Interestingly, he was born in a Punjabi family, but he was given a Christian name. According to a source, when he was born, he was very fair which is why his mother came him Lawrence which means shining. He was often called ‘Milky’ because of his fair colour complexion.
- Reportedly, he owned ancestral land worth about Rs. 7.20 crores. Dainik Bhaskar
- When he was a child, he was more interested in sports. He used to practice wrestling in an akhara behind Sukhna Lake, Chandigarh. The Indian Express
- He started his political career while studying in college. He worked as the student leader of the Student Organisation of Panjab University (SOPU). He took part in the college elections, but he was unable to win which led to jealousy with the other party.
- He followed the path of gangster Jaggu Bhagwanpuri, who is his ideal.
- In an interview, his teachers recalled that in 2010, he flew from his college after he was caught cheating during an exam. They also said that he was an aggressive student and would often argue with them. They revealed that he was handcuffed when he came to the college to give exams after his arrest.
- Reportedly, he is often spotted chanting Sukhmani Sahib inside the jail. The Indian Express
- In 2020, he filed a plea in the Chandigarh court because he was afraid of the fake police encounter. In the plea, he suggested that he should be handcuffed while being taken anywhere. The Indian Express
- He is a follower of Bhagat Singh and often claims that he does social service in a different style. He is also spotted wearing shirts with Bhagat Singh’s photo printed on it.
- Reportedly, there were more than 150 accounts on Facebook run in his name. The bio in all these accounts said ‘Respect Girls.’
- He has a tattoo of Lord Hanuman inked on his right hand.
- According to sarpanch Surinder Bhagria, Lawrence’s mother, Sunita Bishnoi had filed nomination papers for sarpanch’s elections in 2018.
- Many media houses also refer to him as a ‘Supari-king.’