Sanjeev Jeeva was an Indian gangster who was killed in broad daylight at Lucknow’s Kaiserbagh court in Uttar Pradesh on Wednesday, 6 June 2023. The Times of India He was suspected to have connections with the murder of senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Brahm Dutt Dwivedi. He was a close aide of Indian gangster and politician Mukhtar Ansari.
Sanjeev Maheshwari alias Sanjeev Jeeva was born in 1975 (age 48 years; at the time of death) in Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh. Before entering the world of crime, he used to work as a compounder in a dispensary in Muzaffarnagar.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 65 kgs
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 44 inches; Waist: 32 inches; Bicpes: 14 inches
Parents & Siblings
Sanjeev Jeeva’s parents were Om Prakash Maheshwari and Kuntai Maheshwari.
Wife & Children
Sanjeev Jeeva was married to Payal, Maheshwari. They have three sons and one daughter.
Abduction, Ransom, Robbery, and Fraud: The Rise of Sanjeev Jeeva
Sanjeev Maheshwari alias “Jeeva” had prior experience working as a compounder at a dispensary in the 1990s. At that time, he abducted the owner of the dispensary and requested a significant amount of money as ransom. Following this incident, he proceeded to engage in various additional criminal activities that lead to the rise of Sanjeev Jeeva’s name in the world of gangsters. Later on, he was involved in the kidnapping of the son of a Kolkatta-based businessman and asked for 2 crores in ransom. He also became a member so several gangs like the Nazim gang of Haridwar, Satendra Barnala gang, and many more. He and his criminal gang were engaged in acts of murder, robbery, extortion, kidnapping, loot, and fraud. More than 24 police cases are registered against Sanjeev Jeeva in Uttar Pradesh police stations in areas like Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Gazipur, Farrukhabad, and Hardwar. More than 22 times, police have filed cases against Sanjeev Jeeva under the Gangster Act 1986. Not only this but his property worth more than 4 crores was also confiscated under the various provisions of the Act.
A conviction for the murder of BJP Leader Brahm Dutt Dwivedi
Brahm Dutt Dwivedi, who was a BJP MLA from Farrukhabad, was murdered on February 10, 1997. According to his son, Sunil Dutt, in an interview in 2017, his father was assassinated while sitting in his car after attending a tilak ceremony in the City Kotwali area of Farrukhabad district. The attack resulted in the death of his security guard BK Tiwari and injuries to his driver Rinku. On July 17, 2003, the CBI court in Lucknow sentenced Sanjeev Jeeva and former Samajwadi Party MLA Vijay Singh to life imprisonment for their involvement in the case. Both individuals appealed the verdict in the High Court. In 2017, the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad HC upheld the decision of the trial court. Bar and BenchAs a consequence of the murder, Jeeva developed a close association with another well-known gangster, Munna Bajrangi. Subsequently, in 2005, both Bajrangi and Jeeva were accused by the police of being involved in the killing of six individuals including the BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai from Ghazipur.
Closeness with Mukhtar Ansari
According to several reports, Sanjeev Jeeva was a close aide of Mukhtar Ansari. The Times of India On 29 November 2005, BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai was killed in a mafia-style. It was said that the murder of Rai was a result of the defeat faced by Afzal Ansari in the Uttar Pradesh assembly elections when Rai emerged as the winner in 2002. The names which were said to be involved in the murder of Krishnanand Rai were Mukhtar Ansari, Afzal Ansari, Munna Bajrangi, and Sajeev Jeeva. However, all the accused were acquitted by the Delhi court in 2019.
Acquittance for the murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai
In 2019, Maheshwari, along with co-accused Mukhtar Ansari and his brother Afzal Ansari, was acquitted by the Delhi court for the murder of the BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai and six others. The results came due to the lack of cooperation from the eyewitnesses as they turned hostile during the proceedings. Krishnanand Rai, who was an MLA of Mohammadabad, had emerged victorious over Afzal Ansari in the 2002 Assembly elections. On 29 November 2005, Rai and six others were tragically killed when a group of individuals armed with automatic and semi-automatic weapons blocked their vehicle and opened fire on them.
The murder of Businessman Amit Dixit
Jeeva was additionally charged in the murder case of businessman Amit Dixit, also known as Goldie, in 2017. After a thorough investigation, the court handed him and three other individuals life sentences. Consequently, Jeeva has been lodged in Lucknow jail. However, there are allegations that he continued to operate the activities of his gang even while behind bars. His gang reportedly consists of over 35 members.
The rivalry between Jeeva and Mooch
When Sanjeev Jeeva and Munna Bajrangi were locked up in jail, they maintained their focus on the various properties in Western Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand. Their over-involvement and interest in these properties didn’t go well with the gangster Sushil Mooch, leading to a rivalry between both gangs. The clash between both parties grew more over a valuable property near the transport station in Haridwar, resulting in multiple fatalities.
In 2021, Payal Maheshwari, the wife of Sanjeev Jeeva had written a letter to the then Chief Justice of India for asking protection for her husband Sanjeev Maheshwari alias Jeeva as she feared that Jeeva’s life was in danger. NBT Times However, her fear came true on Wednesday, 7 June 2023, when Sanjeev Jeeva was reportedly shot and killed by unidentified attackers inside the SC/ST court in Lucknow. Bar and Bench During the attack, two police constables; Kamlesh and Lal Mohammad, a six-year-old girl, and an 18-month-old baby were also injured. The police have managed to apprehend one of the assailants, identified as Vijay Yadav, and he is currently being interrogated as part of the investigation.
According to the reports, Jeeva was called to Lucknow court for the hearing of the case when the unidentified attackers, dressed as lawyers, opened fire at Jeeva.
- In the year 2022, Sanjeev Jeeva was caught by Uttar Pradesh police with the possession of an AK-47 rifle and approximately 1300 cartridges. The Times of India
- Sanjeev Jeeva was completely shocked by the killing of Munna Bajrangi in the Baghpat Jail district, Uttar Pradesh in 2018. He aspired to take a powerful position and become a don. He become a threat to many even when he was imprisoned. Reportedly, he used to operate the activities of his gang while behind bars.
- The government has recently seized approximately 8 bighas (around 5 acres) of land belonging to Sanjeev Jeeva and his wife Payal Maheshwari. The land, located in Thana Adarsh Mandi and Sadar Kotwali, was divided into two portions. The estimated value of the land was reported to be around Rs. 1.86 crore. According to Amarujala, the wheat crop grown on the farm was auctioned for Rs. 9,000, and the proceeds were deposited into the government’s account. Sanjeev Jeeva, his wife, and their children were listed as the owners of 21 bighas of land in the Adampur village. He had purchased this estate in the names of his wife and sons.
- In the 2017 assembly elections, Payal, the wife of Sanjeev Jeeva, was a candidate for the ticket of the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD). Unfortunately, she faced defeat in the election.
- Sanjeev Jeeva was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Brahm Dutt Dwivedi, but he was acquitted in several other cases. Bar and Bench
- At the time of his shooting inside the Lucknow court on 6 June 2023, the trial for three cases against him was still pending.