Rupinder Singh Grewal aka Gippy Grewal is an Indian actor, singer, and producer who is mostly associated with the Punjabi Film Industry. He came into the spotlight with his album “Phulkari” and is well known for belting hits like “Oscar,” “Angreji Beat,” and “Hello Hello.”
Gippy Grewal was born on 2 January 1983 (age 36 years; as in 2019) in Koom Kalan, Ludhiana, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
He did his schooling from Ludhiana’s Nankana Sahib Public School and went to North India Institute of Hotel Management, Panchkula to pursue a degree in Hotel Management. Gippy had a deep interest in music right from his childhood. He often used to participate in singing and bhangra competitions in his school days. After completing his degree in Hotel Management, Gippy moved to Delhi and worked in a hotel. While working there, he released his first album but it did not perform well in the audience.
Height (approx.): 5’ 11”
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements: Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 14″
Family, Caste & Wife
Gippy Grewal belongs to a Sikh Family. He is the son of Late Santokh Singh and Kulwant Kaur. He has an elder brother, Sippy Grewal, who is a film producer.
Gippy is married to Ravneet Kaur and has two sons, Ekomkar Grewal, and Gurfateh Grewal (Shinda).
Gippy Grewal started his singing career in 2002 with his album “Chakk Ley Ft.Jagdev Maan.” However, he came into the limelight with his fourth album “Phulkari.” Subsequently, he released many popular music albums including “Akh Larh Gayi,” “Chandi De Challe,” “My Time To Shine,” and “Desi Rockstar.” Gippy has lent his voice to several Punjabi hit songs like “Angreji Beat,” “Hello Hello,” “Oscar,” “Desi Gana,” “Bad Baby,” “Pind Nanke,” “Channa,” “Massi,” and “Dubai Wale Shaikh.”
He made his acting debut in 2010 by playing the antagonist in the Punjabi film “Mel Krade Rabba.” Next, he featured in the film “Jihne Mera Dil Luteya” alongside Diljit Dosanjh and Neeru Bajwa. In 2012, he appeared in the film “Carry On Jatta” which was a huge hit. He not only acted in the film but also produced it. Subsequently, he featured in many successful films including “Singh vs Kaur,” “Lucky Di Unlucky Story,” “Best of Luck,” “Manje Bistre,” “Jatt James Bond” and “Double Di Trouble.” He made his Bollywood debut with a special appearance in the film “Dharam Sankat Mein” and then went to play a lead role in the Hindi film “Second Hand Husband.” In addition to singing and acting, he has also penned the scripts of a few Punjabi films including “Manje Bistre,” “Mar Gye Oye Loko,” and “Ardas.”
- Gippy Grewal was the brand ambassador of the Live India Trading, a chit fund company. In 2014, Lucky, an investor of the company filed a case against the company and Gippy Grewal of duping him of ₹5 lakh.
- In 2015, Gippy Grewal landed into controversy for the music video of his song “Zaalam” in which he played the militant who aspired to become a soldier but could not do so due to police atrocities. A few Congress leaders even demanded registration of a police case against him for allegedly glorifying militancy.
- Food: Yellow Dal, Bhindi
- Singers: Kuldeep Manak, Gurdas Maan, Chamkila
- Colours: Red, Black
- Actress: Mahi Gill
- Actor: Aamir Khan
- App: TikTok
- Film: Bazigar
- Shooting Locations: Punjab, Canada
- His hobbies include acting, singing, and doing the bhangra.
- Gippy has never received formal training for being a singer but he was born with the singing talent.
- Gippy Grewal, once, said it in an interview that Arjun Rampal is the most annoying actor with no sense of acting.
- Gippy Grewal earlier had a phobia of water and but later he overcame his fear by learning swimming.
- His dream role is to portray the character of Rahul Mehra as played by Shahrukh Khan in his film “Darr” (1993).
- Gippy opened “My Dream Academy” for the Punjabi youngsters to help them enhance their acting skills.
- He is one of the few Punjabi actors who had got a chance to represent Punjab in the Bollywood.
- His super hit song “Angreji Beat” was prepared only in 2 hours. Initially, Gippy wanted to name it Desi Beat but it was named Angreji Beat on the suggestion of Honey Singh. Interestingly, the song was not sung in the studio but a dub version of it was recorded in a cafe in Canada and later, it was released.
- Gippy launched his first music album after borrowing money from his friends and relatives.
- Gippy Grewal received a threat call by the gangster, Dilpreet Singh, asking him for extortion money. The Gangster also threatened to kill Gippy if he failed to meet his demands.
- He is an avid dog lover.