Gursharanjot Randhawa, better known as Guru Randhawa, is a Punjabi pop singer and a songwriter. He shot to fame with his song ‘High Rated Gabru.’
Guru Randhawa was born on Friday, 30 August 1991 (27 years old; age as in 2018) in Noorpur, District Gurdaspur, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Virgo.
He aspired to be a singer from a very young age and often used to participate in various singing competitions in his school days. Initially, he learned music by watching popular singers on the television. Although he had a keen interest in music, he gave his first preference to his education. He completed his Masters in Business Administration from New Delhi’s IIPM ( Indian Institute of Planning and Management). After completing his post-graduation, Guru started his career in music by giving stage performances at various events.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 38″, Waist 30″, Biceps 13″
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
Guru Randhawa belongs to a Jatt Sikh Family settled in Gurdaspur, Punjab. Randhawa traces his roots back to Rurka Kalan, Punjab, India. Not much is known about his parents. He considers his elder brother, Ramneek Randhawa, the most significant person behind his success.
- Marital Status: Unmarried
Guru Randhawa started his career as a singer and a songwriter in 2012 with the song “Same Girl.” Next, he released the track “Chhad Gayi,” which was liked by the audience. Guru has sung many Punjabi hit tracks including “Patola,” “Fashion,” “High Rated Gabru,” “Yaar Mod Do,” and “Suit.” His debut album was “Page One.”
In 2017, he made his Bollywood debut in Irrfan Khan starrer film ‘Hindi Medium;’ the song was the remake of his song ‘Suit.’
In 2017, he also appeared in the ‘T-Series Mix Tape’ with singer Kanika Kapoor; where they recorded the mashup of songs ‘Ambarsariya’ and ‘Suit,’ together.
He also performed at the opening ceremony of 2017 IPL.
In April 2019, released the track “Slowly Slowly” in collaboration with the American rapper, Pitbull. The song had its lyrics in Punjabi, English, and Spanish.
Guru has also featured on the covers of magazines like Mans World Magazine and TMM Magazine.
He has walked the ramp for the fashion designer, Nivedita Saboo, in the Times Fashion Week.
Awards & Honours
- PTC Music Award for ‘Best Debut Male’ for the song “Patola” (2014)
- PTC Music Award for ‘Best Duo Song’ for the song “Patola” (2016)
- Youth Icon Award by News 24 (2017)
- Dada Saheb Phalke Award (2019)
- Food: Daal Makhani, Rice, Veg Sandwich
- Singer: Babbu Maan
- Actor: Akshay Kumar
- Cricketer: Virat Kohli
- His hobbies include travelling and playing cricket and football.
- Guru Randhawa loves to collect jackets.
- In 2017, his song ‘High Rated Gabru’ gathered the Fastest 100 Million Views for a Non-Film song in India.
- Guru Randhawa has a habit of listening to music before going to sleep.
- Although, he started his career with the single track ‘Same Girl,’ he attained stardom with the song ‘Patola’ feat. Bohemia.
- Guru is not just famous for his singing but also for his mesmerising smile, good looks, and songwriting talent.
- He played the charity match in the INK Cricket Blast 2017 for cancer patients along with many other celebrities.
- He is fluent in Hindi, English, Punjabi, and French.
- He is an avid animal lover and also has a pet dog.
- Randhawa said during an interview that he loves doing live concerts as he gets the chance to connect to his fans. He further went on to say that he doesn’t like the trend of lip-syncing and cheating the audience just to deliver a good show. Reportedly, the singer pointed towards the Canadian pop singer, Justin Bieber, who got flak for lip-syncing during his concert in Mumbai in May 2017.
- In September 2018, a female staff working with Pakistan’s Airport Security Force (ASF) was penalised by the authorities for lip-syncing to an Indian song. The song was “High Rated Gabru” sung by Guru Randhawa. The ASF authorities withheld her increments and perks for two years of service for violating the code of conduct.
- On 28 July 2019, when Guru was performing live at the Queen Elizabeth Theater in Vancouver, Canada, an unknown man attacked the singer on his head. The singer returned to India with four stitches on his head. After returning India, his management team clarified the whole issue through an Instagram post.
View this post on Instagram
Guru is back in India with four stitches on his right eyebrow and mega successful USA/Canada tour. The incident happened on 28th July in Vancouver when Guru told one punjabi man not to come on stage while he was performing for the audience. That man was trying to come on stage again and again and then he started fighting with everyone backstage. He was known to the local promoter Surinder Sanghera who sent him away during the show. But at the end when Guru finished the show and was leaving the stage, that punjabi man came and hit him hard on his face with a punch , because of which Guru started bleeding on the spot from his forehead above eyebrow and went back to stage and showed it to the audience. That man was with few others and whosoever tried to stopped them, they were punching them and then they all ran away. Guru is home now feeling safe in India. And Guru Said , his Guru Nanak Dev ji has saved him and prayed to Waheguru to give that man a good sense of understanding what to do and what not to. Your love and support is all we need always. Thanks Management Guru Randhawa