Kanika is an Indian playback singer. She is best known for singing the Bollywood songs “Baby Doll” and “Chhitiyan Kalaiyan.”
Kanika Kapoor was born on 23 March 1981 (age 38 years; as in 2019) in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. She belongs to a business-class family with a musical background. Kanika attended Lucknow’s Loreto Convent School and went to Bhatkhande Music Institute, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh to pursue B.A. and M.A. in music. She started learning music from at a very young age from Pandit Ganesh Prasad Mishra. At the age of 11, she got an opportunity to sing on the All India Radio (AIR).
Apart from singing, she is also a trained Kathak dancer.
Height: 5′ 5″
Weight: 56 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Grey
Figure Measurements: 33-26-34
Family, Caste & Husband
Kanika Kapoor belongs to a Hindu Khatri Family. Her father, Rajeev Kapoor, is a businessman. He is the third generation in his family business of electrical trading. Her mother, Poonam Kapoor, is the exporter of Chicken work and runs a boutique named Kalakrutti.
She has an elder brother, Shasha, who owns a company in London.
Kanika met Dr. Raj Chandok (her cousin’s best friend) at her cousin’s wedding in Khajuraho and she fell in love with him. The couple tied the knot in 1997 and moved to London. They have two daughters, Aayana, and Samara and a son, Yuvraaj. All her kids have British citizenship. After a togetherness of around 15 years, the couple split up in 2010; as Kanika found her husband cheating on her. The couple got divorced in 2012.
Kanika Kapoor made her singing debut in 2012 with the song “Jugni Ji,” featuring Dr. Zeus. The song was the remix version of the Pakistani Sufi Song “Alif Allah,” and it became a huge commercial success within a few weeks of its release.
In 2014, she began her Bollywood playback singing career with “Baby Doll” for the film Ragini MMS 2. The song became widely popular and was critically acclaimed.
Subsequently, she lent her voice for popular songs like “Lovely,” “Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan,” “Nachan Farrate,” “Jugni Peeke Tight Hai,” “Jab Chaye Tera Jadoo,” and “Beat Pe Booty.”
In 2015, when Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the UK, she sang a welcome song for him.
In 2018, she performed for the second time in front of PM Narendra Modi; Kanika sang the national anthem of India.
In addition to singing, she runs her own fashion brand “Kanika Kapoor: House of Chikankari” to promote the art of embroidery and textile decoration.
In 2016, Kanika endorsed Swiss Watch manufacturer 88 Rue du Rhone.
Singer & Music Producer Dr Zeus was unhappy with Kanika as he was not credited as the producer of her debut song “Baby Doll Main Sone Di.” Dr Zeus, during an interview, expressed his anger and said that Meet Bros reaped the fruits of his hard work as they were given the credit for the song.
- Hindustan Times Most Stylish Awards for Most Stylish Music Personality (2016)
- Stardust Award for Best Playback Singer – Female for “Baby Doll” (2014)
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Food: Aloo Paratha
- Sweet Dish: Kesar Jalebi
- Actors: Hrithik Roshan, Leonardo DiCaprio
- Actress: Deepika Padukone
- Musicians: Vishal-Shekhar, Beyonce, Shakira, Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez, A. R. Rahman, Justin Bieber
- Lyricist: Shabbir Ahmed
- Designers: Peter Dundas, Christian Laqua, Rohit Bal, Manish Malhotra
- Singers: Lata Mangeshkar, Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan, Justin Bieber
- Her hobbies include doing yoga, shopping, and travelling.
- She belongs to a family with roots in music. Her uncle learnt music from the late Pandit Ganesh Mishraji and she would often sit with them and practice music.
- While Kanika was in London, she gave up singing as she was not allowed to sing there.
- After her marriage, she moved to the plush apartment in Central London at Mayfair but after her divorce, she shifted to a small apartment in Knightsbridge, London.
- Kanika also owns a house in Mumbai and has personally administered its interiors.
- Kanika has an extended family of around 150 members living in Lucknow.
- Kapoor is very close to her grandmother and tells how her grandma puts a red tikka and gives her ₹500, every time she leaves Lucknow.
- During her initial stay in Lucknow, she transformed her garage in a music studio to sing and record.
- According to her, she cannot speak Punjabi properly despite singing a number of songs with Punjabi lyrics.
- Kanika returned to India with her children after her divorce but as her children were not able to adjust in the Indian environment, She moved back to London.
- Kanika sang for an album with Lalit Sen while she was in Mumbai. However, it never released.
- The singer and musician Anup Jalota is her father’s childhood friend and he would often offer her to sing during the breaks he took in his performances.
- It was Anup Jalota who introduced Kanika to Bollywood when Kanika was 16. He also helped her to sign a three-year contract with Universal Polygram.
- Her brother, Sasha, was the classmate of Harmeet Singh (from Meet Brothers duo) at the Gwalior’s Scindia School. So, she is very close to Meet Brothers; in fact, she considers Harmeet and Manmeet as her brothers.
- Describing her married life in London, Kanika says-
I was a normal papad achaar housewife, had three kids and was happily playing a mother to them, till we separated.”
- She also explained how her marriage exposed her to a fancy life. She says-
Marriage exposed me to a fancy life of another level and that kind of took over me. I was materialistic, egoistic, vain and was full of myself, to the extent of being borderline arrogant. The money, the kids, the lifestyle all made me stay with my husband for a long time, till it became too much to go through personally.”