Neeti Mohan is an Indian singer, songwriter, and music composer. She is best known for her songs “Jiya Re” from Jab Tak Hai Jaan, and “Ishq Wala Love” from Student of the Year.
Neeti Mohan was born as Neeti Mohan Sharma on 18 November 1979 (age 39 years; as in 2018) in Delhi, India. She was born into a middle-class family with roots in music.
Neeti, along with her sisters, grew up in a strict and disciplined environment. Neeti attended Birla Balika Vidyapeeth, Pilani and went to Miranda House, University of Delhi, New Delhi to pursue B. A. (Hons.) in Philosophy.
When Neeti was a child, her family used to travel to Iskon Temple. She grew up watching the devotees of Lord Krishna playing mridangam, singing, and dancing, which inspired her a lot. In her school days, she took part in various singing competitions and won many prizes. She was very active in co-curricular activities in her college days and actively participated in music, dance, drama competitions. She was also a part of the National Cadet Corps (NCC).
Neeti once went to watch the film “The Sound of Music,” and got motivated towards music. After frequently listening to the music of A.R. Rahman in Roja and Bombay, she finally decided to pursue a career in music.
Mohan joined Gandharva Mahavidyalaya’s singing classes, where she learned Hindustani classical for a decade. In 2003, Neeti became the co-winner of the season 2 of the reality show “Channel V Popstars” contest. Later, she joined the band named “Aasma,” and moved to Mumbai to start her music career.
Height: 5’ 5”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Neeti belongs to a Brahmin Hindu Family. Her father, Brij Mohan Sharma, is a government officer and writer and her mother, Kusum Mohan, is a homemaker. Neeti has three younger sisters namely, Shakti Mohan, Mukti Mohan, and Kriti Mohan.
Neeti tied the knot with actor and model, Nihaar Pandya, on 15 February 2019 at Taj Falaknuma Palace, Hyderabad.
Neeti made her debut in Bollywood as an actress with the film “Socha Na Tha” (2005).
Neeti started her singing career with a single track “Ja Ja,” which was released in 2012. In the same year, she made a singing debut in with “Ishq Wala Love” from Student of the year. She also sang “Jiya Re” from the film Jab Tak Hain Jaan. Both her songs were super hit and earned her various awards and accolades.
Subsquently, she sang songs like “Nazar Laaye” (2013), “Darbadar” (2014), “Tu Hi Tu (2014), “Mohabbat Buri Bimari” (2015).
In 2016, she appeared as one of the mentors in the singing reality show “The Voice India Kids,” alongside Shaan and Shekhar Ravjiani. In the same year, she also lent her voice for the title track of the fourth season of Yeh Hai Aashiqui.
Neeti made her singing debut in the Telugu film industry with the song “Viyyalavaru,” in Bengali with “Korishna Rangbaazi,” in Tamil with “Thiruda Thiruda” & “Star Jolykkuthendru,” in Marathi with “Dhooan Ha Dhooan,” in Gujarati with “Rom Com,” and in Kannada with “Hello Mister.”
Apart from music, she has also actively participated in charity events. She has been a part of the “Hum Hain Umeed E Kashmir” concert and Smile Foundation’s charity gala dinner.
- RD Burman Award for “Jiya Re” (2013)
- RD Burman Award for “Ishq Wala Love” (2013)
- Upcoming Female Vocalist of The Year for “Jiya Re” (2012)
- Food: Falafel, Veg Pulao, Dal, Bhindi Mirch Masala, Angoori Rabdi, Crispy Potato, Cheese aur Subz ki Sheekh, Paneer ke Shikanje
- Films: Satte Pe Satta, The Sound of Music, Lord of the Rings
- Singers: Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Mohit Chauhan, Ed Sheeran, Arijit Singh, Benny Dayal, Armaan Malik
- Music Directors: A.R. Rahman, Amit Trivedi, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Shankar Ehsan Loy, Vishal-Shekhar, Mithoon, Amaal Mallik
- Song: “Dil Se Re” by A.R. Rahman
- Band: Silk Route
- Lyricist: Amitabh Bachchan
- Concert Venue: The O2 Arena, Wembley, London
- Jewellery Bands: Cartier, Tiffany & Co., Harry Winston
- TV Show: Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa
- Restaurant: Pebbles in Mumbai
- Destinations: Ladakh, Iceland, Dubai
- Neeti was encouraged by her father to launch her first single track “Ja Ja.”
- Neeti has always been passionate about her mother’s jewellery, and after she cleared her class 10th examination, her mother gifted her a gold pendant with her name on it.
- Neeti never leaves her home without her recording bag.
- Neeti often credits her college for shaping her career as an artist.
- Neeti loves nature and is very specific about cleanliness and hygiene. She avoids using plastic bottles and has also kept a dustbin in her car.
- She considers the song”Dhadaam Dhadaam” as the most difficult song of her career.
- Neeti is very fond of dogs. She has a beagle named Frodo and she has named him after her favourite hobbit in the film “Lord of the Rings.”
- Neeti is a non-vegetarian turned vegetarian.
- Her hobbies include travelling, dancing, and going for long drives.