Richa Sharma is an Indian playback and devotional singer. She is famous for her song ‘Ni Main Samajhh Gayi’ from the movie “Taal” and ‘Sajdaa’ from the film “My Name Is Khan.”
Richa Sharma was born on Friday, 29 August 1980 (age 40 years; as in 2020) in the Faridabad city of Haryana. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She did her three-year Visharad in Music from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, New Delhi. She received the formal training in Indian Classical and light music from Pandit Aaskaran Sharma.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Richa Sharma’s father, Pandit Daya Shankar Upadhyaya, was a priest. Her mother’s name is Manorama Devi.
They are 6 siblings; two brothers and four sisters, Richa being the youngest.
She started her journey as a singer by singing devotional songs. She then started performing in Faridabad and Delhi. She then moved to Mumbai in 1994 and started performing in the various event, weddings, and other shows. In 1996, she made her Bollywood debut as a singer with the song “Mohabbat Aisi Mehndi Hai” from the film “Salma Pe Dil Aa Gaya.” She then sang for a number of hit films like “Taal (1999),” “Zubeidaa (2001),” “Saathiya (2002),” “Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003),” “Baabul (2006),” “Om Shanti Om (2007),” “Singham (2011),” and “Padmaavat(2018).”
In 2006, she sang the longest song of Bollywood titled ‘Bidaai’ from the film “Baabul,” which spans over 15 minutes. The unique thing about the track is that she has sung it without the orchestra.
In 2011, her family inaugurated a Saibaba Temple in Faridabad. She also released her first devotional album “Sai Ki Tasveer” at the event.
- Mirchi Music Award for Female Vocalist of The Year for the song ‘Sajdaa’ from the film “My Name is Khan” in 2010
- Indian Telly Award for Best Title Singer for the title track of the show “Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo” in 2009
- Singers: Abida Parveen, Lata Mangeshkar, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Rashid Khan, Salamat Ali Khan, Asha Bhosle
- Actress(s): Kajol, Rani Mukerji
- Musicians: Pritam Chakraborty, Salim–Sulaiman, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Vishal-Shekhar
- She likes listening to music and travelling.
- Her parents played a key role in shaping her singing career. When she was young, they taught her to sing Bhajans, especially, Mata ka Jagran. Her father used to wake her up early in the morning and make her practice singing regularly.
- She started singing when she was 8 years old.
- Her first paycheck was of Rs. 11.
- Before coming to Bollywood, she was very famous in Faridabad and Delhi. According to her, people used to change the dates of their marriages and functions to suit her date of availability.
- Once she was singing at a function (Mata Ki Chauki) in Delhi, organised by Saawan Kumar Tak. She sang a number of songs there. Her songs were liked by Saawan, and he gave her a chance to sing in his film. That is how she got a chance to sing for the film “Salma Pe Dil Aa Gaya.”
- She was the contestant in the singing reality show “Dhoom Macha De,” which was aired on NDTV Imagine.
- She has also judged shows like “Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star” and “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa (2018).”
- In 2014, she became the first Indian singer to sing in ‘Ottawa Jazz Festival,’ which is held in Ottawa, Canada.