Hans Raj Hans is an Indian singer and politician. He is well known for singing Punjabi folklore and Sufi songs. Hans is the recipient of Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in the Republic of India.
Hans Raj Hans was born on 9 April 1962 (age 57 years; as in 2019) in village Shafipur, Jalandhar, Punjab. He belongs to a peasant family. His zodiac sign is Aries. Hans did his graduation from Jalandhar’s DAV College. He was fond of singing right from his childhood. Hans drew his inspiration for singing from a street singer who once visited the village early morning singing devotional songs. He received his formal training in singing from Ustad Puran Shahkoti Sahib. He started his singing career from the village and gradually moved to the urban lands.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 72 kg
Hair Colour: Black (dyed Golden Brown)
Eye Colour: Brown
Family, Caste & Wife
Hans Raj Hans belongs to a Sikh Family. He is the son of Sardar Arjan Singh. Not much is known about his mother.
Hans Raj is married to Resham Kaur Hans and has two sons Navraj Hans and Yuvraj Hans. His elder son, Navraj Hans, is married to Daler Mehandi’s daughter, Ajit Kaur. His younger son, Yuvraj Hans is married to Mansi Sharma.
Hans started his singing career in 1983 with the Album “Jogian Da Kanna Vich.” His first song was “Shahied-E-Azam Bhagat Singh Di Ghori.” Subsequently, he released many Punjabi folk, devotional, and Sufi songs. Hans, then, worked with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in the film Kachche Dhaage. His famous music albums include Chorni, Jhanjhar, Mohabbat, and Ishqe Di Barsaat. Hans received immense popularity for his blockbuster songs like Dil Tote Tote Ho Gaya, Nachi Jo Sade Naal, Dil Chori Sada Ho Gaya, Sili Sili Hawa, and Nit Khair Manga. He has lent his voice for Bollywood songs including, Khaali Dil Nahin Jaan Bhi Hai, Punjabiyaan Di Shaan and Aaja Nachle. He has also performed a short stint as an actor in the Punjabi film “MEHANDI SHAGNA DI.” Hans has been appointed as an honorary music professor at the San Jose State University and the Washington DC University.
In January 2009, he joined the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) party and contested the Lok Sabha elections from the Jalandhar Constituency. He resigned from the party in December 2014 and subsequently, joined the Indian National Congress in February 2016.
On 10 December 2016, he joined the Bharatiya Janata Party and replaced Udit Raj for representing the party in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections from the North West Delhi where he defeated Aam Aadmi Party’s Gugan Singh by over six lakh votes.
- In 2002, Hans Raj Hans while addressing a press conference in Chandigarh, accused the owner of T-Series Cassettes, Bhushan Kumar, for getting him threatened through the underworld. Hans claimed that the owner is trying to finish his career as a singer and also denied breaching any contract signed with the company, as alleged by Kumar.
- In 2014, the Pakistani media claimed that Hans Raj Hans has converted to Islam during his trip to their country. Later, his son, Navraj Hans rubbished such reports saying his father has not made any trip to Pakistan and is, in fact, unwell and resting in their hometown, Jalandhar.
- Padam Shri
- Punjab State Singer Award (Raj Gayak) by the Government of Punjab
- Lifetime Fellowship by Punjabi University, Patiala
- Ambassador of Peace by the Universal Peace Foundation.
- Sangeet Natak Academy Award by the then President of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
His car collection includes a Camry car, Corolla Car, Innova and a Gypsy.
His movable assets include gold ornaments worth ₹13 lakh, bonds and debentures worth ₹82 thousand, Bank Balance of ₹1 lakh and Cash in hand of ₹9.5 lakh. He also owns a residential and commercial property worth ₹7.9 crore.
- Food: Makki Di Roti & Saron Da Saag
- Politician: Narendra Modi
- Singers: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Gurdas Maan
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- Actress: Hema Malini
- Musical Instruments: Harmonium, Surmandal, Ik Tara
- His hobbies include reading classical poets and listening to classical music.
- He follows a vegetarian diet.
- Hans has been made the spiritual head of the Sufi Darbar in Punjab.
- His music guru, affectionately suffixed “Hans” after his name as a token of appreciation for singing like a Swan (Hans).
- In order to promote brotherhood and peace between India and Pakistan, Hans Raj Hans performs and light the lamps at the Wagah Border on 14th August annually. He has been performing there from the past 14 years.
- Hans is also active in philanthropy. He has helped in fundraising for the Indian American Society along with Bill Clinton and managed to raise 1.5 million USD for the victims of the Gujarat earthquake. He has also contributed funds across the world for peace, humanity, and saving the girl child.
- Hans has always promoted the message of “Na Nasha Karo Na Vaar Karo, Je Karna Hai Ta Pyaar Karo” (Don’t indulge into any kind of drugs or violence. Indulge completely into love) through his singing.
- He is fondly called Zorawar.
- Hans Raj has done extensive research on Sufi Saints like Baba Farid, Waris Shah, Baba Bulle Shah and Shah Hussain in order to master the art of singing.
- He is the only singer to be appointed as a member of Jury at the Asia Song Contest in the U.K for consecutive 3 years, out of which he has remained as a co-judge with late Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
|↑1||The Indian Express|