Hema Malini is a veteran Bollywood actress, film producer, and an Indian politician, who is also known as the Dream Girl. She has ruled over the heart of Indian audience for over two decades, and her beauty still has its charm, which makes people fall in love with her again and again. Even with the South Indian accent, Hema managed to give her best performance in Hindi films. She is the most popular name among all her contemporaries. Check out Hema Malini Wiki, Height, Weight, Age, Husband, Caste, Family, Biography & More:
Hema Malini was born as Hema Malini R. Chakravarthy on 16 October 1948 in Ammankudi, Madras State (Now, Tamil Nadu), Dominion of India. Her mother was a film producer. So, Hema Malini had more exposure to the film-line, but her first love was dancing and wanted to work in films as a dancer. She was in class twelve when she appeared as a dancer in her first movie.
In 1964, she auditioned for a Tamil movie named Venniradai but was rejected by the director C.V.Sridhar as she was skinny at that time. But later, she debuted with a Hindi film titled Sapno Ka Saudagar, which did not do very well at the box office, but Hema Malini’s beauty did its magic.
After the movie, there was no looking back for Hema Malini, and she was showered with more and more offers. Her performance in the rom-com Seeta Aur Geeta and action film Sholay was critically acclaimed.
Hema Malini is a 5′ 6″ feet gorgeous lady, who carries herself with grace and class. She has always been conscious about her fitness. Malini practices Yoga to stay fit. As a trained classical dancer, she has maintained her body beautifully even at this age.
Family, Caste & Husband
Hema Malini was born to a Tamil-speaking Hindu family. Her mother Jaya Lakshmi Chakravarti was a film producer in South Indian Film Industry. Her father’s name was VSR Chakravarti. She is the youngest of her two brothers R.K.Chakravarti and R.J.Chakravarti who are also film producers.
Mesmerised by Hema’s beauty, the famous Bollywood actor Sanjeev Kumar proposed to her for marriage but she rejected the proposal. Later she got involved in an affair with her co-actor Jeetendra, but this relation could not last long and got ended.
While working with Dharmendra in the blockbuster film Sholay, Hema Malini got attracted to him. The two expressed their feelings to each other and decided to get married. At that time, Dharmendra was already married to Prakash Kaur, and according to Hindu rituals, he could not marry Hema until he would get a divorce from his first wife. But his wife was not ready to divorce him. At the end, both converted to Islam and got married on 2 May 1980.
The couple has two daughters Esha Deol (Actress) and Ahana Deol. Her step-sons are the famous Bollywood actors Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol.
Hema Malini had an immense interest in dancing. She started learning dancing at a very young age. She attended the Andhra Mahila Sabha in Chennai and later Delhi Tamil Education Association Sr. Sec. School in Delhi. She was good at studies and liked History the most. Being more interested in dancing, she left her studies in between and debuted as a dancer with a regional movie in 1961.
Being a producer Hema’s mother wanted her to become an actress. But she could not make a place in South Indian movies as an actress although she continued working as a dancer. In 1968, she made her debut as an actress with Raj Kapoor starrer Hindi film Sapno Ka Saudagar. The film was not a hit, but it represented the beauty of Hema Malini very well. She was the fresh face, which every director wanted to cast in their movie. So her journey as an actress was started.
In her more than a two-decade-long career, she worked with every famous actor of her time. She appeared in 15 movies with the Superstar Rajesh Khanna; among which ten were super hit. She worked with Dev Anand, Jeetendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Shashi Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Sanjeev Kumar and many other well-established artists. Hema Malini made her place as one of the highest paid actresses in the industry within four years after her debut.
She worked in over 155 films including, Tum Haseen Main Jawaan, Sholay, Lal Patthar, Andaaz, Naseeb, Gora Aur Kala, Dharmatma, Sanyasi, Satte Pe Satta, Dream Girl, Trishul, Suraag, Kranti, Andha Kanoon, Sitapur Ki Geeta, etc.
Hema Malini is trained in Indian classical dance forms including Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi, and Mohiniattam. She continued to perform on stage beside acting. Her daughters are also trained in Odissi and have performed in many charitable events with their mother.
In 1999, Hema Malini campaigned for Vinod Khanna (BJP), and in 2004, she joined BJP as an MP in the Rajya Sabha. She was appointed the general secretary for BJP in March 2010. She later got elected as the member of Lok Sabha in 2014 by defeating Jayant Chaudhary by 3,30,743 votes.
Hema Malini made her directorial debut with the film Dil Aashna Hai, which was the first signed film of Shahrukh Khan.
She was critically acclaimed for her performance in her comeback film Baghban (2003) and was nominated for Filmfare Best Actress Award.
She was also criticised for her tweet about the widows coming from Bihar and West Bengal, residing at Vrindavan. According to her tweet, they must not crowd in Vrindavan.
- Hema Malini had no intentions of becoming an actress as she wanted to become a dancer. But due to her mother, she came into the field of acting.
- She has worked in 35 films with her husband Dharmendra; out of which both were romantically paired in 31 films.
- She has worked as the editor of New Woman and Meri Saheli, magazines.
- She runs a dance school named as Natya Vihar Kalakendra dance school.
- Hema Malini is a member of animal rights organisation, PETA India. She stood against the traditional spectacle Jallikattu, which is carried out in Madurai, Tamil Nadu and wrote a letter to the Union Minister for Environment and Forests, Jairam Ramesh for its ban. She was also awarded the PETA’s Person Of The Year Award in 2011.
- She won the Best Actress Award for Seeta Aur Geeta. She was awarded India’s 4th highest award, i.e., Padam Shree by the Government of India in 2000.
- She is one of the actresses who continued to work even after having got married and having children.
- Even, after starting her career in South Indian movies, she did not act in any South Indian film as a lead.
- Hema Malini’s biography Beyond The Dream Girl was launched by the actress Deepika Padukone in 2017, which is written by Ram Kamal Mukherjee.
- She is the first woman to chair the National Film Development Corporation.
- Hema Malini had two hits and three flops with superstar Rajesh Khanna before her marriage. Directors had stopped pairing them in their films but post marriage, the duo gave eight hits back to back.