Hema Malini is a veteran Bollywood actress, film producer, and an Indian politician, who is also popular by the name “Dream Girl.” Apart from working in the mainstream Hindi cinema, Hema Malini has also worked in Tamil movies as well.
Hema Malini was born as Hema Malini Chakravarthy on 16 October 1948 (age 70; as in 2018) in Jeeyapuram, Tiruchirappalli district, Madras Presidency, India. Her mother was a film producer, and so, Hema Malini had exposure to the film-line. However, her first love was dancing and she wanted to work in films as a dancer. She was in class twelve when she appeared as a dancer in her first movie.
In 1964, she auditioned for a Tamil movie “Venniradai” but was rejected by the director C.V.Sridhar as she was skinny at that time. Later, she debuted with a Hindi film “Sapno Ka Saudagar,” which did not do very well at the box office.
After her debut movie, there was no looking back for Hema Malini; she was showered with more film offers. Her performance in the rom-com “Seeta Aur Geeta” and film “Sholay” was critically acclaimed.
Height: 5’ 6”
Weight: 60 kg
Figure Measurements: 34-32-35
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Hema Malini was born in a Tamil-speaking Hindu family. Her mother, Jaya Lakshmi Chakravarti, was a film producer in the South Indian Film Industry. Her father’s name was VSR Chakravarti. She is the youngest of her two brothers R.K.Chakravarti and R.J.Chakravarti; who are also film producers.
Mesmerised by Hema’s beauty, the Bollywood actor Sanjeev Kumar proposed her for marriage, but she rejected the proposal. Later, she got involved in an affair with her co-actor Jeetendra; this relationship could not last long and, eventually, ended.
While working with Dharmendra in the blockbuster film Sholay, Hema Malini got attracted to him. The two expressed their feelings to each other and decided to get married. At that time, Dharmendra was already married to Prakash Kaur, and according to Hindu rituals, he could not marry Hema until he divorced his first wife. But his wife was not ready to divorce him. In the end, Hema Malini and Dharmendra converted to Islam and got married on 2 May 1980.
The couple has two daughters Esha Deol (Actress) and Ahana Deol.
Hema Malini had an interest in dancing since childhood. She started learning dancing at a very young age. She attended the Andhra Mahila Sabha in Chennai, and later, Delhi Tamil Education Association Sr. Sec. School in Delhi. She was good at studies and liked the history subject the most. Being more interested in dancing, she left her studies in between and debuted as a dancer in a regional movie in 1961.
Being a producer, Hema’s mother wanted her to become an actress. But she could not make a place in South Indian movies as an actress although she continued working as a dancer. In 1968, she made her debut as an actress with Raj Kapoor starrer Hindi film “Sapno Ka Saudagar.” She was the fresh face, which every director wanted to cast in their movie. So, her journey as an actress was started.
In her career spanning more than two decades, she worked with every famous actor of her time. She appeared in 15 movies with the Superstar Rajesh Khanna. She worked with Dev Anand, Jeetendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Shashi Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Sanjeev Kumar and many other well-established artists. Hema Malini made her place as one of the highest paid actresses in the industry within four years after her debut.
She worked in over 155 films including, Tum Haseen Main Jawaan, Sholay, Lal Patthar, Andaaz, Naseeb, Gora Aur Kala, Dharmatma, Sanyasi, Satte Pe Satta, Dream Girl, Trishul, Suraag, Kranti, Andha Kanoon, Sitapur Ki Geeta, etc.
Hema Malini is trained in Indian classical dance forms including Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi, and Mohiniattam. She continued to perform on stage beside acting. Her daughters are also trained in Odissi and have performed in many charitable events with their mother.
Hema Malini made her directorial debut with the film Dil Aashna Hai, which was the first signed film of Shahrukh Khan.
She was critically acclaimed for her performance in her comeback film Baghban (2003) and was even nominated for Filmfare Best Actress Award.
In 1999, Hema Malini campaigned for Vinod Khanna (BJP), and in 2004, she joined BJP as an MP in the Rajya Sabha. She was appointed the general secretary of the BJP in March 2010. She later got elected as a member of the Lok Sabha in 2014 by defeating Jayant Chaudhary by 3,30,743 votes. In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, she again emerged victorious by winning the election from the Mathura Constituency in Uttar Pradesh by a margin of 2,93,471 votes.
- News hit the TV screens when it was revealed that Hema Malini was allotted a 2000-sq ft area to run a dance class. The land actually cost INR 50 Crore (approx.) but was allotted only for INR 70,000 by the BJP led Government to Hema Malini.
- She was also criticised for her tweet about the widows coming from Bihar and West Bengal, residing at Vrindavan. According to her tweet, they must not crowd in Vrindavan.
- In 2015, her Mercedes car injured a two-year-old. The girl succumbed to her injuries in the hospital.
- Because of her low-attendance in the Parliament, Hema Malini often faces criticism.
In 2014, her net worth was estimated to be around ₹178 Crore.
- Actors: Shah Rukh Khan, Dharmendra
- Actresses: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Kareena Kapoor
- Food: Rice with Rasam, Green Tea, Curd
- Author: Erle Stanley Gardner (American Author)
- Subject: History
- Her hobbies include dancing, driving and doing yoga.
- Hema Malini had no intentions of becoming an actress as she wanted to become a dancer. But due to her mother, she entered the field of acting.
- She has worked in 35 films with her husband Dharmendra; out of which both were romantically paired in 31 films.
- She has worked as an editor of the magazine- New Woman and Meri Saheli.
- She runs a dance school named Natya Vihar Kalakendra Dance School.
- Hema Malini is a member of the animal rights organisation, PETA India. She stood against the traditional spectacle Jallikattu, which is carried out in Madurai, Tamil Nadu and wrote a letter to the Union Minister of Environment and Forests, Jairam Ramesh, for its ban. She was also awarded the PETA’s Person Of The Year Award in 2011.
- She is often regarded as a trendsetter as she is among the first few actresses who started wearing bell-bottoms on the silver screen.
- She is a vegetarian.
- Malini is an advocate of pure water. She also endorses a water purifier brand and believes pure water should be available for one and all.
- She won the Best Actress Award for Seeta Aur Geeta. She was also awarded India’s 4th highest award, i.e., Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2000.
- She is one of the actresses who continued to work even after marriage and children.
- Although she started her career with South Indian movies, she did not act in any South Indian film as a lead.
- Hema Malini’s biography Beyond The Dream Girl was launched by actress Deepika Padukone in 2017, which is written by Ram Kamal Mukherjee.
- She is the first woman to chair the National Film Development Corporation.
- Hema Malini had two hits and three flops with superstar Rajesh Khanna before her marriage. Directors had stopped pairing them in their films; however, post her marriage, the duo gave eight hits back to back.
- She resides at 43, Shakunt Plot No.17, Jaihind Society, 12th Road, JVPD Juhu, Mumbai Upnagar, Teh.-Andheri, Dist.-Mumbai, Pin-400049.