Ashok Kumar Mittal is an Indian educationist who is the Chancellor of Lovely Professional University. He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha by the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) from Punjab in March 2022.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Ashok’s father’s name is Baldev Raj Mittal who was the founder of Lovely Professional University. He has two brothers, Ramesh Mittal and Naresh Mittal.
Wife & Children
Ashok is married to Rashmi Mittal who is the pro-chancellor of Lovely Professional University. They have a son, Pratham Mittal, who is the founder of Masters’ Union School of Business.
In 2001, he started an affiliated college, Lovely Institute of Management. The affiliation created many problems in the way Ashok wanted to deliver education to students. In 2005, he received approval from Punjab Government to start a private university, Lovely Professional University. In an interview, Ashok talked about how he worked towards keeping the motto of LPU alive and said,
LPU was started with the motto to prepare students for the industry, unlike other traditional universities. Great importance was given to develop a human resource that was ready to be taken into the industry and also play their part in the development of society and the country. This gave way to LPU’s tagline– “Transforming Education, Transforming India”. LPU is a multi-disciplined university, making the experience of a student more rewarding than at an institution with a restricted number of subjects.”
On 21 March 2022, he was nominated to the Rajya Sabha by the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) from Punjab.
- He was a recipient of ‘Punjab Gaurav Award.’
- He won the ‘Entrepreneur of the year 2013.’
- He won the ‘Shiksha Ratna’ award.
- In 1991, he started the automobile business and made a dealership with Bajaj, and in 1996, he started a dealership with Maruti.
- Ashok was always interested in academics, and in an interview, he said that he pursued a career in academics because he wanted to make some changes in the education system.
- Ashok’s father set up a sweet shop business, which was later run by his brothers, who had to leave their studies to take care of the business. Ashok did not leave his studies and pursued graduation. He used to work at the shop during the day and attend college in the evening.
- In 2019, LPU was the first private university that Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited. Many renowned celebrities, and Presidents and Prime Ministers of other countries have also visited LPU.
- On 21 March 2022, Ashok was nominated to the Rajya Sabha from Punjab. The other names include ex-cricketer Harbhajan Singh, IIT professor Sandeep Pathak, and Delhi MLA Raghav Chadha.