Seerat Kaur Mann is the daughter of the renowned Punjabi comedian-turned-politician Bhagwant Mann, who became the 17th Chief Minister of Punjab.
Seerat Kaur Mann was born on Monday, 21 May 2001 (age 21 years; as of 2022) in Canada. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
Once, in a Facebook post, Bhagwant Mann shared an anecdote in which he revealed that a tool hit Seerat in the head during the operation just after she was born. Although she remained in critical care for about ten days, she recovered. After spending her early childhood in Chandigarh, India, she moved to Auburn, Washington, with her mother and brother after the divorce of her parents. From 2015 to 2018, she pursued her schooling at Auburn Mountainview High School, Auburn. From 2018 to 2022, she pursued a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Washington, Seattle, majoring in Public Health-Global Health and minoring in Law, Societies, and Justice (LSJ). Rivkin Center Sher E Punjab Society at UW’s Instagram Page At the university, she was also a part of the Title IX Sex and Gender-Based Violence Prevention programme. Later, she also earned an AP Capstone Diploma.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
In March 2015, Seerat Kaur’s parents filed an application for divorce in a SAS Nagar court. The application was filed under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act, the decree of divorce by mutual consent. Reportedly, Inderpreet wasn’t in favour of Bhagwant Mann pursuing a career in politics. Consequently, Bhagwant Mann and Inderpreet Kaur started living separately. After the separation, Seerat and Dilshan moved to Auburn, Washington, with their mother, meanwhile Bhagwant Mann juggled his time between Delhi and Mohali in India. Later, Bhagwant Mann publicly claimed that he chose Punjab over his family. Known for using poetry in his political campaigns, Mann posted a poem on his Facebook Account to express his sentiments about the divorce, which read,
Jo latkeya si chiran ton o hal ho geya,
Court ch eh faisla kal ho geya,
Ek passay parivar, dujje passay si parivar,
Main tan yarro Punjab de wal ho geya.”
(A long-pending issue has been resolved. The court decided yesterday. I had to choose between one family and the other. I decided to go with Punjab)
Many believed that Bhagwant Mann was trying to get political mileage out of his divorce case.
2022 Punjab Legislative Assembly Elections
Seerat Kaur Mann caught the attention of the media when Bhagwant Mann became the 17th Chief Minister of Punjab in 2022. Seerat and Dilshan attended their father’s oath-taking ceremony, which was held on 16 March 2022 at Khatkar Kalan village, the birthplace of the Indian revolutionary Bhagat Singh. At the venue, while addressing the media, Seerat revealed that before 2022, she visited her father in 2017 when he was contesting from the Jalalabad Assembly Constituency in the Punjab Legislative Assembly elections. Talking about her CM father, she also said,
My father will work on the unemployment issue in Punjab. I have high hopes for him and know that he will keep all his promises.”
Experience & Certifications
While pursuing her studies in healthcare, Seerat worked as a Student Research Assistant at Seattle Children’s, a children’s hospital in the Laurelhurst neighbourhood of Seattle. She worked there for five months and joined The University of Washington Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity as a Student Associate in September 2021. She was also a part of the Washington State Opportunity Scholarship’s LinkedInShe has earned certifications in the programmes “Safe at Every Stage: Injury and Violence Prevention and the Developing Brain” and “COVID-19 Information Navigator” from Northwest Center for Public Health Practice. She has also earned certification in CITI Program’s web-based course in Human Subjects Research (HSR).
- AP Scholar Award (2017)
- Dean’s list (2020)
- A promising student, Seerat Kaur Mann once received a letter of appreciation from former US President Barack Obama.
- During the 2014 Indian general elections in Punjab, Bhagwant Mann contested from the Sangrur Lok Sabha constituency of Punjab on a ticket from the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). At that time, Inderpreet actively took part in her husband’s political journey and delivered speeches in AAP’s favour in the villages of Sangrur to help him win. Bhagwant Mann won the elections defeating Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa with a margin of 2,11,721 votes.
- She is actively associated with Rivkin Center, a non-profit organization in Seattle, Washington, that funds ovarian cancer research programmes. She is campus ambassador of the educational outreach program Rivkin EDU, which educates students at the PAC 12 universities on breast and ovarian health. Rivkin Center
- Rivkin Center’s website states that Seerat desires to pursue a career as a healthcare administrator. Her objective is to improve the quality of health systems & services and increase access to healthcare facilities across the United States.
- A women’s rights activist, Seerat endeavours to reduce the stigma around women’s bodies, especially in the South Asian community.
- In her leisure time, Seerat enjoys watching films, reading, and painting. She is also a foodie and loves eating spicy food.
- Upon Seerat and Dilshan’s arrival in Punjab in 2022, Punjabi comedian, actor, and singer Karamjit Anmol held a private cake cutting ceremony for the CM’s children at his home to welcome them.
- Besides being a scholar, Seerat is also fond of adventure sports and went skydiving in Montréal in 2017 to do a tandem jump from 13,500 feet.
- She is a General Board Member and Marketing Director of Sher-e-Punjab Society UW, a club at the University of Washington, which celebrates and promotes Punjabi identity and culture through community events.
- While pursuing her Bachelor of Arts, she learned the Italian language for a semester.
- On 9 December 2023, Seerat posted a video on social media and made several accusations against Bhagwant Mann. While referring to him as CM Mann, she claimed he had lost the right to be called ‘Papa’ a long time ago. Seerat disclosed various reasons for Mann’s divorce from her mother, Inderpreet Kaur, including his habit of alcohol consumption and physical and mental abuse towards Inderpreet. Seerat also mentioned that Mann had gone to Gurudwaras and press conferences in a drunk state many times. Seerat further detailed how Mann kept him distant from her and her brother Dilshan Mann. She mentioned that Dilshan was not even allowed to enter the CM house during visits. Deccan Herald